Review Requests and Random Stuff

Moderator: Maya

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff

Post by fabienne » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:50 am

Then there is this feminist interpretation by the amazing Artemisia Gentileschi:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:21 am

I love this one of Judith and Holopherne by Caravaggio

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Dang! I'd want to nail that first Sisera too! :debbil:

My favorite Judith paintings are the Gentileschi ones. She returned to that theme again and again (for good reason), and her paintings capture the difficulty and fear in the task. This is the best one.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:10 pm

I LOVE Gentileschi! If memory serves me correctly, she is the painter who was raped by her colleague, yes? Which is why many of her paintings portray images of female strength. I love how her Judith, for instance, is not the sleek seductress portrayed by other painters. She's a real woman hell-bent on her goal! Very practical, too. Love her foresight in bringing a basket for the head :grin:

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you all for posting the art! There are so many I am unfamiliar with!!

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:59 am

katiushka wrote:I LOVE Gentileschi! If memory serves me correctly, she is the painter who was raped by her colleague, yes? Which is why many of her paintings portray images of female strength. I love how her Judith, for instance, is not the sleek seductress portrayed by other painters. She's a real woman hell-bent on her goal! Very practical, too. Love her foresight in bringing a basket for the head :grin:
It's even better than that. From Wikipedia:

"The painting is relentlessly physical, from the wide spurts of blood to the energy of the two women as they perform the act. The effort of the women's struggle is most finely represented by the delicate face of the maid, who is younger than in most paintings, which is grasped by the oversized, muscular fist of Holofernes as he desperately struggles to survive. Although the painting depicts a classic scene from the Bible, Gentileschi drew herself as Judith and her mentor Agostino Tassi, who was tried in court for her rape, as Holofernes. Gentileschi's biographer Mary Garrard famously proposed an autobiographical reading of the painting, stating that it functions as "a cathartic expression of the artist's private, and perhaps repressed, rage."

The one below is the one they are describing, but she painted herself as Judith in all of them.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 am

yeah she was one hell of a talented lady. And I like to think the paintings helped her emotionally deal with the travesty and horror that happened to her. Rape is the crime that keeps on hurting it's victims long after the act is done. I think she was a very strong lady indeed.

I am really interested in George Eliot, Mata Hari, and Evita Peron. There are others of course, this is Possets after all! But I'm making my lists, Yes/definitely, Maybe/Yes, Maybe, Maybe/No, and No/definitely. ROFL. :grin:

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:39 am

mina wrote:Image

I love this one of Judith and Holopherne by Caravaggio

I love this one because of the expression on Judith's face. It... cracks me up. I interpret as, "Oh, that's proving to be messy."

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:49 am

Samson and Delilah by Rubens

Diane de Poitiers by Clouet.
This portrait is full of symbols

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:55 pm

There is a study of the Rubens' Sampson and Delilah in the Cincinnati Art Museum!
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!