Review Requests and Random Stuff

Moderator: Maya

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff: Wallis Simpson

Post by marisaviola » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi, Atropos,

Regarding Wallis Simpson, I would not label it as predominantly floral. If you can get a sample I think it would be good to try it. It does have an aldehydic and powder type aspect which I personally love (like Chanel No. 5, My Sin, and Arpege and many others of classic fame of that time) but for me the sandalwood and a musky element stood out more (even though it is listed as amber, this did not seem to me to be a resin type fragrance). I would be interested in what Minh Scent, Apollonia, Gyspyjolie, Celandine and any others who tried this one think in terms of its floral aspect? It does have a floral element in it but it's not to me discernible as any clear type of floral, not white floral or heavy tropical or rose or violet or lilac or any of the obvious ones. Maybe a bit of neroli/bergamot flavor? It's very well blended so it's hard to say and of course, I know it's subjective.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Marisaviola, I agree with you that Walis Simpson is not floral at all, but has a suggestion of floral that one gets in some if those beautiful classic perfumes...and no, I cannot pick out a particular floral. It must be the myrtle in the blend, although I have grown myrtle and it does not smell. At least the variety I know. This fume is outrageously beautiful! ETA The floral suggestion fades with time as the luscious sandal deepens. Gah! Sandal!! :hrt::

OK...I am now on a crazed flower search. My Pennsylvania myrtle was the local name for periwinkle. I see myrtle can also be the crepe myrtle I first saw in your neck of the woods, Marisaviola. But I have also stuck my nose in it in California and...no smell. Fabienne, what is this flower? The one in your blend is called Sicilian myrtle.

Sorry, I get distracted with flowers.

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Online research indicates that myrtle essential oil has an "intense herbal-like aromatic-floral note." I also found mention of it having camphoraceous qualities similar to eucalyptus. So that could be the floral like quality you ladies mentioned. On my skin it is almost straight up sandalwood with wafts of citrus, i don't get floral at all.

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm glad we'll be getting extra time with these. There's enough new-to-me components that the longer I test them, the more is revealed. Lola Montez has captured my attention today, the little minx! :wink: It's made up of notes I would not usually consider, but in combination they are beguiling.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:36 am

Oh shoot! I forgot to add Wallis Simpson to my order from Ajeve! I went back and ordered Saphho, Evita, and Isotta. Shoot, if anyone has Wallis and would like to trade for a different one of the Femmes, let me know!

I too am very happy to have more time with the ladies.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Katiushka, I am so excited to see your review of Virginie Gautreau, which I think is really beautiful and deserves more attention. It also has great longevity on me, which I don't think I mentioned in my review. I think this would be a terrific and popular addition to the permanents.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:04 am

Petticoats wrote:Katiushka, I am so excited to see your review of Virginie Gautreau, which I think is really beautiful and deserves more attention. It also has great longevity on me, which I don't think I mentioned in my review. I think this would be a terrific and popular addition to the permanents.
Agreed - it would be wonderful if Virginie made the permanents! In addition to its Chanel-esque quality, another selling point is the chocolate. The chocolate in most earlier Possets turns disastrous on me, but this is heaven. Can't even put this scent in a category - it's resinous, dry and foody all at once!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:43 pm

Oh,no. Time to waffle over who to vote for. My immediate thought is Wallis Simpson, Judith and Salome BUT Aspasia is the first ever true osmanthus scent I have met. AND you all have me rivited to Virginie Gauteau! Ah, sweet problems!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:33 pm

I was finally able to make a purchase and I grabbed more than I planned to. (Ehem. Hi, my name is Maya and I have a perfume... EEEEEILOVEPERFUMES.)

Whew. Okay. Umm...

Sooooo I grabbed them out of the mailbox and squeeeed. Then I started sniffing. Oooooooh!

Immediately had to put Mata Hari on my hand. Gorgeous dirt/patch, with sooo many other delicious things. I really do need to get just about anything with Fabienne's black musk. It never ever disappoints. I know this is going to shift around a lot, but ooooh. Soooo good. Dry, earthy, but with a touch of sweet and other things. (One of the perfumes leaked a little and so I'm getting spill over from that so I can't fully round this out yet.)

Diane de Poitiers is sooooo much delicious lavender love. Mmmmm *happy swoon

Virginie Gautreau is sinfully, wonderfully, hedonistically, but dry and cozily delicious. I can't wait to try her by herself. This is definitely one of Fabienne's glorious gourmand's, but with a rounded and refined edge. Delightful!

Virginia Oldoini, Countess of Castiglione opened a bit powdery and sour on me, then simply bloomed into lilacs. Normally, I don't have good luck with lilac fragrances, but this one (at least from what I get in these first five minutes) is probably one of the most pure lilacs on my skin--almost to the point of tasting it. I hope it doesn't go to urinal cake on me (as many lilacs tend to do). I am crossing my fingers!

Salome reminds me of a cross of Dies Irae and Fire Flakes somehow mixed with peanut butter in the bottle. Of course I'm going to love it.

Jeanne DuVal is mmmmm so good. Lighter than I expected, but I think could get intense if used with a heavy hand. Warm with an edge.

Judith gives me the vetiver straight out of the bottle, then cuddles right down and purrs. Much lighter than expected. This has potential to be a solid love! That rosewood. Mmmm.

At this point my nose is batty, but I had to--HAD TO, I say--sniff (and dab) George Eliot who reminds me a little of black tea and potpourri at a very fine store that sells very fine things. This will definitely bear investigation! On my skin, she and I had a slight disagreement, but I think it's because my nose is going nuts at the moment. I can't wait to try this one again.

Finally, Miss Chudleigh is probably going to be my surprise ohmygoshthatissogoooood! The mintmeloncucumber mix is so fresh and charming and delicious. Perfect for summer. Perfect when I need to breathe a little and be refreshed. It doesn't feel "spa-ish" to me, just fresh and delightful and delicious. This would also be amaaaaaaazing on a guy (I would be tempted to sit on him just so I could hold him down and sniff him).

I wish I could have grabbed them all. And there were a few that I had to eenymeeny on. But mmmmm this collection is very much a happy for me. I can't wait to do longer/individual tests on them all!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:19 am

Loved your mini-reviews, Maya! I have also been in sniff heaven, deciding what I "need"...HA!