Review Requests and Random Stuff

Moderator: Maya

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Review Requests and Random Stuff

Post by Minh Scent » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:08 pm

Atropos wrote:
Minh Scent wrote:Boudicca, for me, I would do Salome or Judith. Both?? Mata Hari is lovely, but for me, a bit in the light side for musk. Judith and Salome are both sexy gorgeous. Salome has that most unusual green coffee note, that I am not sure I like, but then I love the total effect. Did you try Wallis Warfield Simpson? These are my top three. I love Aspasia, too (hello, osmanthus), but it is super subtle.

I was wondering about osmanthus, I don't think I've ever smelled it. Can you describe how the note is?
It is the most incredible floral. It can be confused with apricot, as it does have an apricot vibe. In fact, I have seen blends with both notes, which I think defeats the purpose, as osmanthus should have center stage. The flower on the bush is otherworldly. Not a showy flower, but the scent is stepping into heaven. Mine it is blooming now, which causes me to be late for work, not being able to get my nose out of it! It is also called sweet olive and also groiws in some parts of US. It is very expensive. I bought a little vial of the EO when my plant is not in bloom; the EO also has a bit of woodiness to it. I am guessing perfumers have to use the synthetic because if price.

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:57 pm

I fell in love with osmanthus when I was going to Tulane Univ. in New Orleans. When I got off the plane after Xmas vacation, the glorious scent just transported me. It is indeed apricotish but oh so much more lush. I have 3 plants on my windowsill. They are ugly things and I have yet to learn how to keep their leaves from turning black at the tips, etc BUT the fragrance they give off when they are blooming is just from heaven. I think it is one of the most beautiful flower fragrances in the world:
  • Osmanthus
  • Confederate Jasmine
  • Marie Pavie polyantha rose.
Those were not in order of anything, they are just the most amazing fabulous scents. I need to get a Marie Pavie rose bush, I have the other 2 as houseplants.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 pm

fabienne wrote:I fell in love with osmanthus when I was going to Tulane Univ. in New Orleans. When I got off the plane after Xmas vacation, the glorious scent just transported me. It is indeed apricotish but oh so much more lush. I have 3 plants on my windowsill. They are ugly things and I have yet to learn how to keep their leaves from turning black at the tips, etc BUT the fragrance they give off when they are blooming is just from heaven. I think it is one of the most beautiful flower fragrances in the world:
  • Osmanthus
  • Confederate Jasmine
  • Marie Pavie polyantha rose.
Those were not in order of anything, they are just the most amazing fabulous scents. I need to get a Marie Pavie rose bush, I have the other 2 as houseplants.
Now I must have an osmanthus plant! It sounds amazing!

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:05 am

Boudicca wrote: Speaking of reviews, could we please keep the review threads to actual reviews and put comments thanking people for reviews and how reviews may or may not be influencing our purchases and that kind of chatter in this thread? Thanks! :hug: :hrt::
Quoting this because I think some folks may not have seen it?

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:52 pm

Dang. I thought I was set with my femme selection, but gypsyjolie's review of George Eliot has me adding another name to my wishlist, even if it wasn't up to gj's speed in the moment of testing.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Annemathematics wrote:Dang. I thought I was set with my femme selection, but gypsyjolie's review of George Eliot has me adding another name to my wishlist, even if it wasn't up to gj's speed in the moment of testing.
Omg. ^ this. Exactly. I think I must have it....
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:34 pm

Boudicca wrote:
Annemathematics wrote:Dang. I thought I was set with my femme selection, but gypsyjolie's review of George Eliot has me adding another name to my wishlist, even if it wasn't up to gj's speed in the moment of testing.
Omg. ^ this. Exactly. I think I must have it....
Ha, ha...that makes three of us...I saw words like "heavy, perfume-y" and said, "yum"! Thanks Gypsyjolie, for that review!

Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:37 pm

I can't wait for my samples to arrive as George was the first one on my "must-have" list and that review made me even more excited for it to get here.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:03 am

Apollonia wrote:
I can't wait for my samples to arrive as George was the first one on my "must-have" list and that review made me even more excited for it to get here.

I got mine, and like you George was on my top list and I thought a sure winner. I am wondering if I got a mislabeled bottle from Ajeve? I'll do a proper review, but I don't get leather, or any of the notes listed. BUT it just arrived. And it needs settling. You know how Possets are, they tend to blossom in unexpected ways when left to sit for a bit. It's so hard to have patience when I get the package out of the mail though! No self control when it comes to trying them on. :rofl:

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Atropos wrote:
Apollonia wrote:

I got mine, and like you George was on my top list and I thought a sure winner. I am wondering if I got a mislabeled bottle from Ajeve? I'll do a proper review, but I don't get leather, or any of the notes listed. BUT it just arrived. And it needs settling. You know how Possets are, they tend to blossom in unexpected ways when left to sit for a bit. It's so hard to have patience when I get the package out of the mail though! No self control when it comes to trying them on. :rofl:
Want me to send you my decant to compare? I won't be using it again... PM me if you want it.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings