Diane de Poitiers

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Diane de Poitiers

Post by Boudicca » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:57 pm

The amazing mistress of Henry II of France, Diane was considerably older than her lover, and yet she had him in thrall

A light lemon zest note followed by an extraordinary musk which is classified as a skin musk but I always think of it as the scent of an exotic paper. Possets famous lavender with a kiss of ginger and a drop of a very sweet lime.

This one is ladylike but in a very "come hither" way, a perfect scent for seduction on the back stairs. Very harmonious, it is the sort of perfume you would come back to again and again.

Lavender, musky
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Diane de Poitiers

Post by hill78 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:49 am

This is so lovely! Very potent and very feminine. Musky, sweet, warm, beautifully blended. This is sweeter than I expected from a skin musk, but very lovely. There is an almost vanilla like quality beneath the lavender and musk. I don't get much of the lemon or lime. So beautiful and very classic.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:21 pm

Diane de Poitiers opens in the vial as fresh with lavender and creamy musk and a bit of refreshing lime. Once on my skin, like Hill 78 I don't get a lot of citrus, and possibly just a touch of fresh ginger. Wet on my skin, I get a whiff of lime and mostly the lavender and musk. On the drydown, the first hour or more I get a lovely floral type lavender with creamy musk that is reminiscent to me of Possets' The Arc of Venus. After several hours, I get a second phase that reminds me of the creamy lavender with a strong note of tobacco absolute, or perhaps hawthorn--it is something that is not listed in the scent description--that phase continues on me for several hours. This may be the musk developing its paper aspect on me. I put on Diane de Poitiers when I left for some errands around noon and got back around 4:00 PM. The final phase of Diane de Poitiers on me once I got home is a lovely non-foody vanilla that is creamy and not too sweet, but not boozy like bourbon vanilla either. The perfume of an intelligent, educated and beautiful court lady who has lived a full and influential life.
Meet this elegant and fascinating woman through the pages written by author Shari Beck:
http://www.dianedepoitiers.sharibeck.com/index.html

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:32 pm

wet: fluffy lemon sweet musk with a kiss of lavender

drying: This is sweeter than I was expecting. It's a lovely light sweet fluffy musk with a tangy/tart lemon. The lavender is not powdery or stuffy (what I think of as English lavender), but a clear, lovely purple herbal smell, almost a herbal/blueberry type of scent.

full drydown: Still clouds of almost-but-not-quite vanilla musk, with heavenly lemon tartness and that glorious clear lavender. Nothing powdery, nothing sharp, surprisingly not foody despite the lemon. The feeling of this scent is like opening the windows when the weather warms up in the spring - clear and refreshing and bright and clean and optimistic. It's HAPPY.

After more than an hour, the lemon aspect does fade somewhat and the lavender and musk are left. This is so feminine and creamy. I bet it would make a wonderful sleep scent and would be divine in warmer weather too. This reminds me a little of the Wiggle scent Mathilde, which is musk, lavender and blood orange - with lemon instead of blood orange and a much less bracing French lavender. Fresh but soft, herbal and uplifting. This is pretty enough for little girls to wear, and fresh/natural enough that a tomboy in jeans would be at home in it, and yet it has a confidence to it as well.

This has decent throw and surprising longevity. I'm assuming the musk is anchoring things - it really is keeping the lavender going.

I'm normally a deep, rich resin/patchouli/basenote scent girl but this is DIVINE. I want to (metaphorically) roll around in it with white French bulldog puppies with daisies tucked into my braids. :)
Last edited by gypsyjolie on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Ooh, intriguing. How does it compare to Vernal Sun? I loved that one, but it fades so quickly on me which is a deal-breaker.

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:05 pm

Sorry, I never tried Vernal Sun. I will say that this is still quite detecible 5 hours later.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:53 am

gypsyjolie wrote:wet: fluffy lemon sweet musk with a kiss of lavender

drying: This is sweeter than I was expecting. It's a lovely light sweet fluffy musk with a tangy/tart lemon. The lavender is not powdery or stuffy (what I think of as English lavender), but a clear, lovely purple herbal smell, almost a herbal/blueberry type of scent.

full drydown: Still clouds of almost-but-not-quite vanilla musk, with heavenly lemon tartness and that glorious clear lavender. Nothing powdery, nothing sharp, surprisingly not foody despite the lemon. The feeling of this scent is like opening the windows when the weather warms up in the spring - clear and refreshing and bright and clean and optimistic. It's HAPPY.

After more than an hour, the lemon aspect does fade somewhat and the lavender and musk are left. This is so feminine and creamy. I bet it would make a wonderful sleep scent and would be divine in warmer weather too. This reminds me a little of the Wiggle scent Martine, which is musk, lavender and blood orange - with lemon instead of blood orange and a much less bracing French lavender. Fresh but soft, herbal and uplifting. This is pretty enough for little girls to wear, and fresh/natural enough that a tomboy in jeans would be at home in it, and yet it has a confidence to it as well.

This has decent throw and surprising longevity. I'm assuming the musk is anchoring things - it really is keeping the lavender going.

I'm normally a deep, rich resin/patchouli/basenote scent girl but this is DIVINE. I want to (metaphorically) roll around in it with white French bulldog puppies with daisies tucked into my braids. :)

Great review! I'm usually a resin/patch basenote sort of girl too, but you make me want to try this one! And I am the tomboy, and I love a soft scent that's fem but goes with jeans.

celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:47 am

The feeling of this scent is like opening the windows when the weather warms up in the spring - clear and refreshing and bright and clean and optimistic. It's HAPPY.
I don't know that I can describe this scent any better! I was a bit worried about the lavender since it's a note that can come across as very sharp and astringent to me, but this is just a soft whisper of lavender that mixes so well with the citrus and musk. It's sweet and lovely and makes me feel warm and happy inside. :)

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:56 am

Regarding the comparison to Vernal Sun, Fabienne had kindly gifted me with a sample, and I would say that Vernal Sun is more strongly citrus to my nose, and is a bit more masculine or unisex in flavor. In terms of longevity, I have not tested Vernal Sun for that but similar to Gypsyjolie's experience, I had a number of hours of wear with Diane de Poitiers and it went through several phases with me (see my review above).

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:40 pm

I've tried this several times now and sadly, it does not work for me. There's a sweetness to the lemon that kind of makes this smell like a room scent, and with the lavender...to my nose, it's an odd combination.