George Eliot

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

George Eliot

Post by Boudicca »

George Eliot's real name was Mary Ann Evans but she wrote her wonderful books under the afore name to escape being thought of as a lightweight "silly woman writer".

Lightly educated, she completed her own education and taught herself how to write well and even landed a job at the Westminster Review. Unfortunately, she was a very homely woman and you might have thought that the rest of the story was about her being lonely and lovelorn. Not so. George Eliot seduced with the power of her mind and actually had an alarming love life!

She lived with a man who was married to another woman, and introduced herself as his wife to all and sundry, making her his common-law wife in a sense (unless you were going to get picky about things like bigamy). This lasted for a very long time until his death. Then she was married to a man 20 years her junior! So, you see that looks are not everything and "George" had the habit of seducing with her mind, the most powerful aphrodisiac of all!

Her novels are still published and include: Middlemarch, Adam Bede, and Mill On The Floss.

What is George Eliot made of? Two leathers, sandalwood, an uncharacteristically sweet oude, and black seed. It's strong, aromatic, spicy. leather like and not for the faint of heart. Something of an iconoclastic perfume!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: George Eliot

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: Woah, much more perfumey that I expected. There's leather there, and sandalwood, and a very sweet oude indeed. It's almost floral - like there is jasmine in here. Maybe it's a leather accord that is a new, shiny leather with an aldehyde aspect. Oof. Instant headache.

drying: Okay, this calms down a bit. The leathers settle. The oude smoothes out a bit. Still way perfumey. The sandalwood is only a background player to my nose. The throw is BIG and perfume-y. It's got the sophisticated high-pitched essence of a classic and expensive perfume.

full drydown: This is rich and complex and lovers of classic, complicated, sophisticated perfume will probably love this. I am finding it too much for me, but this family of scents is not my thing. The leathers and the oude are gorgeous. It's sexy and a statement perfume. I cannot imagine wearing this casually - it really does stand proudly. I bet aging will deepen it further and really make a beauty out of it.

Big throw, great longevity. I could smell it in my office and on my skin an hour later, even after I washed it off vigorously.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

This is a lot sweeter than I expected (the "uncharacteristically sweet oude" should have been a clue!) and almost boozy, like spiced honey mead. It is super sweet and super strong.
I can't really smell leather or sandalwood, just very strong honey which goes almost fruity in the dry down, but with a kind of darker note floating at the back giving it some wickedness. It smells very reminiscent of Alkemia's Miel de Sauvage et Tabac which is a super strong wild honey/tobacco fragrance. George Eliot has the same massive projection and longevity. It's not that I dislike the scent, I just wasn't expecting it from those notes. It's a little too sweet for me, but I'm sure dark gourmand lovers will love it if they give it a chance!
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Wet in the vial, George Eliot comes across to me as a deep honey and tobacco fragrance. I agree with Apollonia, it's very reminiscent of Miel du Sauvage et Tabac. The first time I put it on my skin, I smelled the honey and tobacco note and it was quite strong as other reviewers have said. Then it rather abruptly got much fainter and I did not detect more than a much softer honey type fragrance. Since my skin was seeming to eat it, I decided to try it on a tester strip to compare. On the tester, it was very strong honey and tobacco to my nose, and it stayed that way for quite a while. After about an hour it dried down on the tester to a honey fragrance with some tobacco and a bit of leather in it. I really wanted to experience this more on my skin, so I tried it again, this time reapplying it over the initial spot on my wrist, and putting yet one more application on. Wet, again, this was very strong honey and tobacco. After drying, this time it stayed stronger for longer and I was able to get more phases and notes from it. The second phase on my skin this time was a moderate leather fragrance and a slight smokiness mixed with the honey, which could be the influence of the oude. The next phase after that is more the sandalwood mixed in with the honey and a very slight earthiness underlying this. At this stage, it's soft enough on me that others will probably only be picking up the honey with a bit of sandalwood. At the very end, the honey is what remains on my skin, very faintly. On the tester strip, the honey lingers more strongly and I detect a bit more of the smokey oude. This is definitely the fragrance of a more mature or confident woman, and I could see the right man pulling this off also, and though it does lean toward the sweeter end of the spectrum due to that honey note, to me it does not come across as foody.

Later: I just thought I would add that several hours later the honey and some lingering subtle smokey oude notes are still quite strong on my skin and it seems to have amped up again on me after growing faint. The final result after trying it a second time is that it is a strong fragrance and lasts 3-4 hours if not more. I'm not sure why my skin ate it up the first time but after I reapplied it generously it is not a soft fragrance on me, it is a bolder one than I had realized, so I would say my experience is similar to others in this regard. At this final stage I am getting a bit more of the perfumey aspect that was mentioned in one of the reviews.

Six+ hours later: It is still strong on me and primarily the honey note with a bit of tobacco now. I can't believe how strong it's stayed. This is great if you love those notes. For me it's a bit on the intense side with those specific ones even though I do like them in moderation.

Several days later: On the top I wore, the honey and slightly smokey note is still very strong on the edge of my sleeve. This fragrance has tremendous staying power. This was overwhelming to me due to the strong honey note but is an asset for those who are a good fit for the fragrance.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

marisaviola wrote:Wet in the vial, George Eliot comes across to me as a deep honey and tobacco fragrance. I agree with Apollonia, it's very reminiscent of Miel du Sauvage et Tabac. The first time I put it on my skin, I smelled the honey and tobacco note and it was quite strong as other reviewers have said. Then it rather abruptly got much fainter and I did not detect more than a much softer honey type fragrance. Since my skin was seeming to eat it, I decided to try it on a tester strip to compare. On the tester, it was very strong honey and tobacco to my nose, and it stayed that way for quite a while. After about an hour it dried down on the tester to a honey fragrance with some tobacco and a bit of leather in it. I really wanted to experience this more on my skin, so I tried it again, this time reapplying it over the initial spot on my wrist, and putting yet one more application on. Wet, again, this was very strong honey and tobacco. After drying, this time it stayed stronger for longer and I was able to get more phases and notes from it. The second phase on my skin this time was a moderate leather fragrance and a slight smokiness mixed with the honey, which could be the influence of the oude. The next phase after that is more the sandalwood mixed in with the honey and a very slight earthiness underlying this. At this stage, it's soft enough on me that others will probably only be picking up the honey with a bit of sandalwood. At the very end, the honey is what remains on my skin, very faintly. On the tester strip, the honey lingers more strongly and I detect a bit more of the smokey oude. This is definitely the fragrance of a more mature or confident woman, and I could see the right man pulling this off also, and though it does lean toward the sweeter end of the spectrum due to that honey note, to me it does not come across as foody.

Later: I just thought I would add that several hours later the honey and some lingering subtle smokey oude notes are still quite strong on my skin and it seems to have amped up again on me after growing faint. The final result after trying it a second time is that it is a strong fragrance and lasts 3-4 hours if not more. I'm not sure why my skin ate it up the first time but after I reapplied it generously it is not a soft fragrance on me, it is a bolder one than I had realized, so I would say my experience is similar to others in this regard. At this final stage I am getting a bit more of the perfumey aspect that was mentioned in one of the reviews.

Six+ hours later: It is still strong on me and primarily the honey note with a bit of tobacco now. I can't believe how strong it's stayed. This is great if you love those notes. For me it's a bit on the intense side with those specific ones even though I do like them in moderation.

Several days later: On the top I wore, the honey and slightly smokey note is still very strong on the edge of my sleeve. This fragrance has tremendous staying power. This was overwhelming to me due to the strong honey note but is an asset for those who are a good fit for the fragrance.

Wow love the review! Hmm maybe it's the honey and tabac that are giving me a strong strong maple syrup vibe in the bottle and on my skin. EEEP! :gnome: