Isotta Malatesta

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Isotta Malatesta

Post by Boudicca »

Fourth wife of the notorious Sigismundo Malatesta, Issota was well known as a practiced lady of the sexual arts. Her liaison with Siggy was a huge scandal. Lucky she was as much of a sociopath as he was and so they were quite a love match. There was a rumor going around that Sigismundo erected a temple to himself (or church if you want to see it that way) he had images of himself and Issota put everywhere in it. The pope heard about this and had Sigismundo excommunicated for it, he called it blasphemous. When the pope's man came to Malatesta's home city of Rimini, Sigismundo was reported to have sat calmly and have the articles of excommunication read, stood up, marched down to the pope's man, grabbed him, turned him around and buggered him in front of all the good citizens of Rimini. He then organized an army and advanced on the papal residence in Rome.

Sigismundo was overpowered and was forced to flee, going from living the high life in his palace in Rimini to living outdoors on the run. His bride, Issota came with him, making a pretty picture as a lady-rogue.

I made a perfume which is very popular about the same lady as half of a couple, Isotta and Sigismundo is in the Permanent Perfume section, if you are interested.

Very animalic skin musk, a strong whiff of loam, darkest earthy vetiver from Haiti, crushed black fig.

Deep, dark, and dangerous. Musky, fruity, resinous.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Re: Isotta Malatesta

Post by warriortwo »

I'm going to have a hard time describing this, but I must give a review. It's the first of the Femmes that has really captivated me. I'm not getting vetiver at all--okay, maybe the tiniest whisper--which is a relief, since most of my other picks are heavy on vetiver and dusty woods. The animalic musk is right up front, and the loam gives a resinous quality maybe a bit like patchouli. I am still not 100% sure what fig smells like in perfume, but this sure doesn't smell like a fresh, clean fig to me, or a fig newton!

Things it is not/does not smell like to me:
vetiver, or any perfume that has a strong vetiver component (Lady and a Baby Unicorn, Salome)
fruity (which I think of as sweet citrus, berries, pomegranate, or apple)
foody
civet
garden soil or dirt

Things it is/does smell like:
Come-hither
dark, mysterious
Gothic (but without a cloying strawberry/dragon's blood lilt.) Like, truly Wuthering-Heights gothic.

Impression: A woman who is both beautiful and spooky.

More tests are in order, but it's a serious contender for a full bottle. It's getting sexier and sexier by the sniff.

ETA: a while later, I'm getting sandalwood, but the tiniest bit. Usually I don't like sandalwood. But this is such a slight hint of it that it's actually perfect. Everything about this seems to beckon the smeller to come closer.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

warriortwo wrote:I'm going to have a hard time describing this, but I must give a review. It's the first of the Femmes that has really captivated me. I'm not getting vetiver at all--okay, maybe the tiniest whisper--which is a relief, since most of my other picks are heavy on vetiver and dusty woods. The animalic musk is right up front, and the loam gives a resinous quality maybe a bit like patchouli. I am still not 100% sure what fig smells like in perfume, but this sure doesn't smell like a fresh, clean fig to me, or a fig newton!

Things it is not/does not smell like to me:
vetiver, or any perfume that has a strong vetiver component (Lady and a Baby Unicorn, Salome)
fruity (which I think of as sweet citrus, berries, pomegranate, or apple)
foody
civet
garden soil or dirt

Things it is/does smell like:
Come-hither
dark, mysterious
Gothic (but without a cloying strawberry/dragon's blood lilt.) Like, truly Wuthering-Heights gothic.

Impression: A woman who is both beautiful and spooky.

More tests are in order, but it's a serious contender for a full bottle. It's getting sexier and sexier by the sniff.

ETA: a while later, I'm getting sandalwood, but the tiniest bit. Usually I don't like sandalwood. But this is such a slight hint of it that it's actually perfect. Everything about this seems to beckon the smeller to come closer.

UGH!!! How did I miss this one when picking out samples? Your review makes me regret my oversight.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Okay, I went back to Ajeve's decants and got this one, Evita, and Sappho.

In the bottle Strawberry Incense.

On my skin, still strawberry incense. And by that let me explain. I don't get fig, nor the strawberry fruit of said real fruit, nor the strawberry notes you smell in other Possets. I mean the kind of abstract fruity smell you get in "fruit" incense sticks or cones. In this case, from my days at Uni, walking along the "Drag" on the university side of said street, under the rustling trees. The student loitering in between classes snacking on various food stuffs, kissing each other. Bands playing on the sidewalk their music floating on the breeze dancing with the incense sold by a man with dreds and the darkest ebony skin I've ever seen, gorgeous. His bright turquoise shirt sporting the continent of Africa colored yellow and red, his smile wide and friendly as he called out selling his sticks of scented smoke. Some lit as samples enticing one to purchase. And purchase I did. This perfume reminds me of that day, as a Junior (I went to Community College first), my eyes wide taking in everything. I bought the incense and burned it in my new room in my new digs. It was a comfort then, being away from my parents. This perfume is just like that, and reminds me of being young, and scared, and excited...all at once.

I layered it with Isabella of France and the two become a lovely smokey sophisticated scent. Isabella matures Isotta and Isotta lightens up Izzy. This is going to bare some further investigation.