Lady Caroline Lamb

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Lady Caroline Lamb

Post by Boudicca »

If anyone ever endured for love it was Lady Caroline. It was "Caro" who first said of Lord Byron,"He is mad, bad, and dangerous to know." She fell deeply in love with Lord Byron and just had to have him. She practically stuffed herself into his mailbox and he detested women who chased him. At first he was amused by her and her writing pretensions, but after having his way with her he (as true to his character) tired of her and tried to dump her. She started stalking him, standing in the street no matter how cold or rainy it was, outside any house where he was staying. She dressed herself up as a page and served him at a dinner. His irritation turned to contempt and she redoubled her efforts to get him to pay attention to her. She was utterly heartbroken. Her marriage to her husband deteriorated, of course, and she took up alcohol to an alarming extent, abusing laudenum, and wild unpleasant temper tantrums. It was obvious that she was falling apart. Finally, she divorced her husband and rapidly went downhill due to her bad habits. She ended up contracting dropsy and dying as an outcast to all good society. She had authored quite a few novels and poems but was never to gain even so much as a good reputation for her works.

What shall I make of poor Caro? How can I take this insatiable yearning person and make a portrait of her in perfume? First I will start with rue, a strange herb which has given its name to a feeling one gets after rejection and is considered mildly poisonous, I add some artemisia to that, a white leafed plant with a background of vanilla to its heavily herbal key notes, I finish it all off with a thick coat of frankincense (remember, it is gathered as "tears" of frankincense which is appropriate), and a beautiful amber. This is a pretty extreme perfume, like Caro was. Resinous, musky, spicy, herbal.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Lady Caroline Lamb

Post by Annemathematics »

This is a really great frankincense scent on me. The amber and artemesia give it a warm vanilla-ish tinge and if I huff at the skin, I detect what smells like mugwort. Herbal with a touch of deep funk. This realllly plays nicely with the frank, making the scent feel both simple and complex, direct but also nuanced. Does that make sense?
This is what I wanted emine to be. I'll have to death match them!

I remember reading in an herbal that rue is considered to be a plant symbolic of great protection in some Mediterranean cultures.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Annemathematics wrote:This is a really great frankincense scent on me. The amber and artemesia give it a warm vanilla-ish tinge and if I huff at the skin, I detect what smells like mugwort. Herbal with a touch of deep funk. This realllly plays nicely with the frank, making the scent feel both simple and complex, direct but also nuanced. Does that make sense?
This is what I wanted emine to be. I'll have to death match them!

I remember reading in an herbal that rue is considered to be a plant symbolic of great protection in some Mediterranean cultures.

I love frankincense! I'm so glad I got this one in the circle too!
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Almost none of the notes in this one were familiar to me, so it's truly a mysterious fragrance as I try to work out what's there. There's something almost foody to this...a hint of a fragrant spice, like nutmeg, oriental, and something powdery (oh, hello amber, very light, not the star here). Frankincense usually reads head shop incense to me, but this isn't giving that off at all. We have a bustling market here called the Berkeley Bowl that has a large section of bulk foods, tea and spices that smells like this, which is why it's reading "foody" and nutmeg to me. It's a delicate perfume and does convey a sort of feisty wistfulness. Very unique, very close to the skin.

UPDATE: My cat seems to like this one? She tried to lick it off my arm.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Lady Caroline Lamb is another fragrance from The Femmes Fatales collection (along with Sappho) that I have spent several days trying out so that I can best describe its fragrance. I have been enjoying wearing it very much, and really like its soft and herbal quality. Before reading the description of the exact notes, my guess of the main herbal components of this fragrance were chamomile and some form of artemesia (which I agree with Annemathematics smells like mugwort), along with a fresh turpene aspect reminiscent of rosemary. I was unfamiliar with the fragrance of rue but after finding out it belongs to an evergreen family, the turpene aspect makes sense. I mainly was familiar with it in literature, primarily through Ophelia's famous verses. Doing a bit more research, though it has been used medicinally through the ages, as Fabienne said it has toxic properties so now it is recommended it not be used internally and that it be greatly diluted externally. Though we are using it externally and I am sure in very dilute doses, I felt I should mention the warning at several essential oil sites that it should not be used by pregnant women. Cats also are especially sensitive to essential oils and can't metabolize them through their livers like humans and dogs can, so I thought while on this note, I would mention that also.

However, back to perfumery and the enjoyment of scent! Lady Caroline Lamb is clearly herbal with a little spice and I can see what Warriortwo meant about it reminding her of the Berkeley Bowl. It reminds me a bit of such herbal blends as BPAL's Blue Moon (Brian's version) and "Once Upon a Time" but is more smoothly blended and less of a raw herbal scent. It is more sophisticated than a simple herbal blend with its addition of vanilla and frankincense. The frankincense is one that is smooth and golden and not overly incense-like. It provides an excellent base with the vanilla for what seems to me a dreamy and ethereal fragrance, and yet one that lasts for many hours. As Warriortwo mentioned, It is not strong and stays close to the skin but I caught whiffs of it throughout my day and could smell a faint remnant on my wrists some hours later. This is a lovely, very natural scent and one that I am definitely considering a full bottle of.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

marisaviola wrote:Lady Caroline Lamb is another fragrance from The Femmes Fatales collection (along with Sappho) that I have spent several days trying out so that I can best describe its fragrance. I have been enjoying wearing it very much, and really like its soft and herbal quality. Before reading the description of the exact notes, my guess of the main herbal components of this fragrance were chamomile and some form of artemesia (which I agree with Annemathematics smells like mugwort), along with a fresh turpene aspect reminiscent of rosemary. I was unfamiliar with the fragrance of rue but after finding out it belongs to an evergreen family, the turpene aspect makes sense. I mainly was familiar with it in literature, primarily through Ophelia's famous verses. Doing a bit more research, though it has been used medicinally through the ages, as Fabienne said it has toxic properties so now it is recommended it not be used internally and that it be greatly diluted externally. Though we are using it externally and I am sure in very dilute doses, I felt I should mention the warning at several essential oil sites that it should not be used by pregnant women. Cats also are especially sensitive to essential oils and can't metabolize them through their livers like humans and dogs can, so I thought while on this note, I would mention that also.

However, back to perfumery and the enjoyment of scent! Lady Caroline Lamb is clearly herbal with a little spice and I can see what Warriortwo meant about it reminding her of the Berkeley Bowl. It reminds me a bit of such herbal blends as BPAL's Blue Moon (Brian's version) and "Once Upon a Time" but is more smoothly blended and less of a raw herbal scent. It is more sophisticated than a simple herbal blend with its addition of vanilla and frankincense. The frankincense is one that is smooth and golden and not overly incense-like. It provides an excellent base with the vanilla for what seems to me a dreamy and ethereal fragrance, and yet one that lasts for many hours. As Warriortwo mentioned, It is not strong and stays close to the skin but I caught whiffs of it throughout my day and could smell a faint remnant on my wrists some hours later. This is a lovely, very natural scent and one that I am definitely considering a full bottle of.
Thanks for the warnings! I too knew of the medicinal uses of rue in Medieval times, and Ophelia as well (I love Shakespeare). I've only sniffed this in the bottle and it smells lovely. I've been trying to be a good girl and give the samples a chance to settle. But your fantastic review (again) is making that difficult. I think I'll try Ms. Lamb tomorrow.