Mary Queen of Scots

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Mary Queen of Scots

Post by Boudicca »

If ever there was a romantic, it was Queen Mary. I could just hear John Knox thundering, "Yer going to Hell, Mary!"

She was the rightful heir of Scotland, being the only surviving child of James V. Her father died when she was just a baby and she was brought up in France. She married the Dauphin and became Queen of France, but only briefly. She was widowed about a year later.

Mary returned to Scotland and married Henry, Lord Darnley, and though they had a baby it was not a happy marriage. Henry was found dead in his garden under mysterious circumstances. One James, Earl of Bothwell was suspected of doing away with Henry but he was not convicted of that crime. Mary married the Earl of Bothwell and that was too much for the Scots. She was forced to abdicate the throne and ran to the South, to Elizabeth I her cousin, for refuge.

Elizabeth had no love for Mary (who was considered the real heir of the English throne by Catholics in the land), and as soon as Mary arrived, she was imprisoned and stayed behind bars for eighteen and a half years until she was executed by order of Elizabeth, ending the threat to the English throne.

Mary was beheaded and it is said that when the executioner picked up her head by the hair, the head slipped out of the red wig she had been wearing all these years to hide her snow white hair. A tale that her faithful little dog had been hiding among her skirts is a favorite, the little creature stayed with his mistress through the execution and had to be taken away forcibly.

This should be a hymn to Scotland, and so it is. Heather and buttery shortbread and the very air of the Scottish moors. It manages to be at once out-doorsy, floral, and never cloying. Somewhat foody, somewhat floral, yet there is a definite backdrop of sophistication and class that you only find in the best places.

'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Re: Mary Queen of Scots

Post by katiushka »

Finally trying this one!

In the vial it smells buttery, but on the skin, thankfully, it isn't buttery at all! I get Scottish biscuits (not the cookies, but the Walkers ones you'd eat with a meal) and something slightly sweet and floral, which I assume is the heather.

Fabienne nailed it - comforting but not cloying; and sophisticated all around. Glad I bought this one :heartrise:
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

katiushka wrote:Finally trying this one!

In the vial it smells buttery, but on the skin, thankfully, it isn't buttery at all! I get Scottish biscuits (not the cookies, but the Walkers ones you'd eat with a meal) and something slightly sweet and floral, which I assume is the heather.

Fabienne nailed it - comforting but not cloying; and sophisticated all around. Glad I bought this one :heartrise:
I wanted this one because I'm part Scottish and one of my favorite mystery books has her being a witch and her book of moons (shadows) being found. But I'm not much of a foody person, nor a floral person (though I LOVE the scent of real Heather) so I didn't try this one. I may see if anyone wants to part with their sample once they're done sampling it just so I can try it. I love your review.
MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta »

Seconding Atropos, thanks for the review Katiushka! Mary of Scots was one of my fave monarchs (I had a phase where I was obsessively reading about her at about 13, and she always came off as a nice person who was tragically trapped in a power struggle with other aristos and monarchs). But can I ask, what does heather smell like? Is it slightly foggy, moist, or purple?
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Heather reminds me a little of lavender. It's not in the same family as rosemary or lavender (which are in the same family to each other) but it's like them in that it has a soft, herbal-floral quality. It's quite pretty but like any flower, I think you just need to smell it to know if you'll like it or not.

I tried this one too. The shortbread is buttery and lovely, but it felt like a battle between the floral and the foody.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

warriortwo wrote:Heather reminds me a little of lavender. It's not in the same family as rosemary or lavender (which are in the same family to each other) but it's like them in that it has a soft, herbal-floral quality. It's quite pretty but like any flower, I think you just need to smell it to know if you'll like it or not.

I tried this one too. The shortbread is buttery and lovely, but it felt like a battle between the floral and the foody.

I love your description of Heather, and I'd say it's spot on. That's what it reminds me of as well, lavender, but not. ROFL!
PeculiarHeroine
mortal
mortal

Post by PeculiarHeroine »

Ooooh, buttery! Ooooh shortbread! Yes, yes please.
This is so well done. The shortbread is most certainly there, and that buttery, crumbly smell is the backbone of the smell. But then the heather comes in, and keeps this shortbread from being foodie.
This is most certainly an ode to Scotland. I feel like its almost an "outdoorsy" perfume. A woman who likes to hike would love this just as much as a woman who is staying inside all day. It seamlessly works either way.
I heartily approve!