Mata Hari

Moderator: Maya

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Mata Hari

Post by Atropos »

gypsyjolie wrote:
Atropos wrote: So based on the notes, I thought this would be a heavy, incensy, head shop type of perfume. I happen to love those kinds of perfumes. But no, this is pure genius. I don't know how Fabienne took such rich ingredients and actually made them fresh, light, and airy. Yes, airy. This is a clean and fresh scent.

The patchouli, vertiver, and musk all blend together so beautifully that you get a lovely clean almost herbal scent, as if you are smelling Mata Hari's skin after a luxurious bath. The saffron does not stand out at all, but I believe adds an almost creamy feel to the whole thing. I can see how this went sour on Apollonia, there is that lingering sour sort of note that I think is the immature vertiver trying to get cute. But on me it stays at bay. And I think that would go away completely with some aging. In fact, this is already a stunner, but will be irresistible once it's aged, irresistible like the woman herself, I dare say. I will be getting a full bottle of this. And I will be voting on it. I hope it makes it.

Please folks, if you're scared of patchouli, don't be. This is not your typical head shop patch, the musk keeps it light and makes it behave. Again, a testament to Fabienne's growing talent.
Yep, agreed. This is remarkably smooth and sophisticated and elegant ... though the drydown is approachable, and as Atropos says, I think with some aging this will be even more harmonious. This was not what I expected - I thought it would be more headshop/belly dancer with a more prominent incense vibe, but this is warm, clean, rich, airy, and rather sexy perfume. It calls to mind clean, sun-warm, slightly salty skin plus sexy musk. I do recall that the saffron in BPAL's Love's Philospohy the saffron has a warm, salty-ish/spice-ish scent. The musk is really pretty - not powdery and heavy like BPAL black musk, but more like a ramped-up skin musk, heavy and translucent and sexy. The Possets this reminds me most of is actually That Oude Time Religion. The musk reminds me of the brown, warm, almost leather-y oude in that.

Not what I expected, but a definite winner. Very sexy. This is a femme fatale for sure, but since it is not floral, I bet it would be a stunner on a guy too.

Not giant throw, but this one is strong and frankly, intoxicating. I do not think I would wear this in an office or an enclosed space if I didn't want to broadcast my scent. This is more a dancing and seduction scent, where I bet my body heat would make the scent form a cloud. This is a power perfume, not a casual perfume for me.
Yes, this is what I get, though you said it better! It's a sex scent, if I dare say that. Like warm skin after some romping with afternoon delight in her lady's bedchamber. And you're right, not a scent to wear just...anywhere. It's very alluring.
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

warriortwo wrote:I gave this another try after gypsyjolie's marvelous review...but I came up short again. I am getting a patchouli that borders on leathery (and though I love both patchouli and true leather, it's just meh here), slight amberish-powder and that nutty vetiver again. To me it smells like dirty incense. I think I'm burned out on resins for a while.
oh boo for skin chemistry :( It's such a bummer when what someone else is describing is SO NOT what you get out of the bottle.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

gypsyjolie wrote:
warriortwo wrote:I gave this another try after gypsyjolie's marvelous review...but I came up short again. I am getting a patchouli that borders on leathery (and though I love both patchouli and true leather, it's just meh here), slight amberish-powder and that nutty vetiver again. To me it smells like dirty incense. I think I'm burned out on resins for a while.
oh boo for skin chemistry :( It's such a bummer when what someone else is describing is SO NOT what you get out of the bottle.
Well, it saves me from dipping into my food fund to pick up Leap Day. Maya made it sound so, so lovely and I could swear it's something I want, but my weird and fickle nose would probably regret it! :huh:
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

warriortwo wrote:
gypsyjolie wrote:
Well, it saves me from dipping into my food fund to pick up Leap Day. Maya made it sound so, so lovely and I could swear it's something I want, but my weird and fickle nose would probably regret it! :huh:
Aw sorry! Mata Hari is amazing with my chem. But I'm afraid to say George isn't, and by all the notes should. SO I feel ya on the crap shoot that is the perfume and our own skin. Sometimes it's Sleepless in Seattle, and other times it's War of the Roses. :rofl:
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

In the vial to me it smells like golden woods (not heavy or smoky) and almost a freshness, if musk can have freshness. I don't mean soapiness, or cotton/linen or ozone by this. I identify with what Atropos said about an almost airy quality. The musk to me smells more like an Egyptian lighter musk, rather than what I think of as black musk. I am not a skin, Egyptian or white type musks lover, but this to me really has that element of elegance that Gypsyjolie pointed out, and I agree also with Minh Scent and Annemathematics that due to its softness, this should be appropriate in public. It is very user friendly and no-one is going to look at you like you are wearing something strange, unless they are just totally against scent in general. It is not strong but it is discernible to me. When I have it on for awhile, I do definitely get that sexy quality--so maybe I wouldn't wear it in every work setting, who knows--but I would not hesitate to wear in public doing daily activities, in fact I did so for several days, and it's left a lovely soft fragrance on the clothes I've worn (such as sleeve tips and on collars) that I can detect for hours later. It's not what I thought it would be from the description, but I like it very much. I can see it capturing an aspect of Mata Hari.