Miss Chudleigh

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Miss Chudleigh

Post by Boudicca »

AKA Elizabeth Pierrepont, Duchess of Kingston. She was qutie a notorious dame. Famous for standing out in the rain during a review of troops, the other ladies had scampered under tents set up for inclement weather, but Miss Chudleigh allowed her fine light white gauzy dress to become soaked and thereby revealing all of her charms to all who wished to behold them. It was a real scandal and she seemed to love the attention she provoked.

Fair haired, voluptuous, and forward she married Augustus Hervey, 3rd Earl of Bristol (remember Betsy Hervey in my novelette Dark Matter...that is the same family and one which was excoriated by Alexander Pope). She ran through some enormous scandals, She went on to be the lover of Frederick The Great and the Duke of Kingston. Hervey brought bigamy charges against her and she bed hopped her way through just about every aristocrat extant. Just reading about her makes you totally exhausted!

What can you put together to form an idea of Miss Chudleigh. Something totally unexpected, to be sure. One thing which seems to come to mind to me is cucumber (probably a Freudian association here), and I want to combine that with mint (a natural) and lime. Why all that green? It just seems to be her color and I think that she is the kind of girl who would be constantly presenting a fresh face to each new lover she took, even to her old ones. It's a refreshing blend, welcome among all of the heavy feel of winter. Green, foody, really lovely.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
mes
a spark
a spark

Re: Miss Chudleigh

Post by mes »

What a surprise! This is green and wet and soft -- and a morpher on me! Starts out like crisp mint and melon (probably the cucumber) and turns into something like a soft fig leaf, that stays throughout the day. I was intrigued by the description, and SO happy I tried this unusual scent. A real keeper for me.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Ooh, this reminds me of the original Benetton perfume that came out when I was in high school! I tried looking for the notes of that to see how they compare to this one, but no luck. The main impression I'm getting is spearmint with a splash of cucumber. Very fresh and springy, and yes, green--but more like a light, sea foam green, not heavily herbal or grassy. If you're looking for something feminine and fun, and you don't like florals, try this! Despite a resemblance to Benetton, it's very different from a "classic" perfumey scent, incredibly unique and for someone who dares to be different.
celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine »

This is such a fantastically interesting blend! In the bottle I get bright, fresh-cut mint with a slice of cucumber. On my skin, the cucumber turns to honeydew melon, and as it dries I get the scent of coconut slipping into the mix... it smells like a mohito made with coconut rum! A cool, quiet, relaxing scent, but one that is also clever and compelling. 100% green, no trace of "foodie" or floral to me despite those melons and coconuts - it's more like a spa scent, something you want to use to scent your bath or mist onto your pillows before you fall asleep. Low throw on this one, though it lasted for several hours on me even with very light testing amount application. Perfectly lovely!
Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia »

Oh my lord, this is fabulous!
Wet, it feels like I've dived headfirst into a Pimms cup and am doing laps amongst the mint leaves and cucumber slices.
The drydown is utterly wonderful, a gentle melon (which is normally a note I can't stand) wafts in and out with a ferocious mint and those watery cucumbers keeping it from being cloying. I just rechecked the notes and melon isn't even in it, but I definitely get a sort of sweet, juicy melon scent. Maybe it's the lime?
After awhile it reminds me of The Fijian Brooch, with a lot of the strong notes disappearing and a clean, soft green scent remaining. It's not fruity, it's not aquatic, it's not herbal, it's not green. It's kind of all of those things? I don't even really know how to classify it. It's just ultra refreshing.

I want to bathe in this for the entire extent of our humid Aussie summers. This is so different to any Posset's I've sniffed before, I absolutely love it and think both this one and Evita Peron are full bottle worthy for sure. It's what the sexy, elegant lady who wears Evita Peron would wear poolside while wearing a giant floppy hat and killer cat eye sunglasses.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Apollonia wrote:Oh my lord, this is fabulous!
Wet, it feels like I've dived headfirst into a Pimms cup and am doing laps amongst the mint leaves and cucumber slices.
The drydown is utterly wonderful, a gentle melon (which is normally a note I can't stand) wafts in and out with a ferocious mint and those watery cucumbers keeping it from being cloying. I just rechecked the notes and melon isn't even in it, but I definitely get a sort of sweet, juicy melon scent. Maybe it's the lime?
After awhile it reminds me of The Fijian Brooch, with a lot of the strong notes disappearing and a clean, soft green scent remaining. It's not fruity, it's not aquatic, it's not herbal, it's not green. It's kind of all of those things? I don't even really know how to classify it. It's just ultra refreshing.

I want to bathe in this for the entire extent of our humid Aussie summers. This is so different to any Posset's I've sniffed before, I absolutely love it and think both this one and Evita Peron are full bottle worthy for sure. It's what the sexy, elegant lady who wears Evita Peron would wear poolside while wearing a giant floppy hat and killer cat eye sunglasses.
The melon was what kept me from trying this one, but now it also seems intriguing.