Sappho

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Sappho

Post by Boudicca »

The great classical Greek poet, Sappho was highly admired among the Greeks as being the pinnacle of sophisticated poetry so admired as a wonderful art form. We have no wild tales of Sappho being wild, as a matter of fact, what we do know about her makes her sound more like a fond and worried mother than a wild lesbian lover. Though little is really known about her life for sure, her legend has inspired a great many people throughout history and her name is synonymous with great poetry.

Sad to say that we don't have very much poetry handed down to us which can be authentically said to have come from Sappho.

Aromatic sage combined with myrtle (Sicilian), Two kinds of cardamom and a subtle swath of golden amber to take the hard edge off the blend. Zesty and creative, the marriage of opposites. What emerges keeps the character of the ingredients but combines to present an almost perfumy blend.

Unisex, woody, herbal.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Sappho

Post by gypsyjolie »

I had my MIL here this weekend, so I wasn't able to sit down and fully examine my decants from Ajevie... but I grabbed Sappho and wore it two days in a row without looking at the notes. My husband, MIL, and I all loved it on me. I thought it was a lovely soft musky with sandalwood and herbal notes - lavender and something softly green. Really pretty and not too invasive, but it lingered especially on my coat collar.

so, looking today, I see it is myrtle, amber, and cardamom. Huh.

wet: very emollient/wet musk... sort of like a cool creamy lotion scent. Then something softly evergreen-ish, which I assume is the myrtle.

drying: This warms up a little and I get that it is amber now. It's a very translucent, soft, non-spicy amber. More like Huile of Fortune than a heavy amber. It's a white amber if there is such a thing. And I get the green layer of cardamom, which is so beautiful. I really love cardamom.

fully dry: This is a soft, dreamy, clean (but not the bracing or soapy aquatic/linen kind of clean) scent. It's a "my skin but better" kind of scent. It reminds me a bit of that green tea OAR cat - Jefferson? Cool and soft and subtle. That aged really well, and this might get better with age too. Honestly, I wish it had even stronger cardamom to it. Low to medium throw but great longevity, especially on fabric.

This is really really pretty though. It would be great in warmer weather as it has a cool edge to it - which I never expected from an amber perfume. This is not a spicy perfume or a resiny one really. It's herbal and more of a skin-musk scent. This could be unisex as it is more herbal than sweet.

It really is enticing. Cerebral rather than lusty. If you are a fan of lavender scents, you should check this out. It's rather lavender-esque, despite no lavender in it.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Another fantastic review marisaviola! I was wavering on this one, and in the end I didn't get it. But now I may if Ajeve has any left. I love Sappho's poetry, what we have of it. I loved that Fabienne picked her to be a part of the Femme Fatales.
Last edited by Atropos on Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Sappho is one that I have tried several times and have found hard to nail down and describe. I like Gypsyjolie's description of a lotion-like aspect--in the vial, this fragrance is reminiscent of something I know very well and yet cannot come up with--I am wondering if it might be an aftershave lotion that my father used to wear? It almost reminds me of a Moroccan fragrance by the House of Madini from Tanger that has wild coriander in it. I got a decant from Angi because I was very attracted to the herbs mentioned in the description. As it has rested, it has mellowed and blended better--initially it smelled a bit too acidic to me, but now I am really liking this mixture of herbs and musky background a lot. The amber is not obvious to me, and I can see the resemblance to Huile of Fortune that was mentioned. My experience also agrees with it being a cool rather than a warm scent.

Dry it is discernible on me but not overwhelmingly strong, so I think it would be entirely appropriate for any sort of public wear. As I sit, I catch whiffs of its herbal and the slightly spicy aspect which is very subtle. I think that must be the cardamom but I would not have assumed it was cardamom from smelling it initially, as coriander can have a spicy aspect also. I am not as familiar with myrtle. Sage does not jump out at me but it may be what gives it its dry aspect and a bit more strength.

It has lasted for some hours on me when I have worn it the past two days. At the final phase of its drydown, it was more of a slightly herbal light skin scent with musky overtones. It stayed dry and a bit creamy. I would agree with clean as in fresh and somewhat aromatic, not soapy. I would say it's definitely unisex.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Hm, I should have gotten this one instead of Ms. Lamb, whom, after your review of her I couldn't resist trying her on one hand ('m getting bubble gum). This sounds like one that I need to try. Your reviews as always are amazing!
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Wow. This is heavenly. A smidge medicinal in the vial, but fades down to a gorgeously soft and dreamy essence. Gypsyjolie's review matches my own on this blend, apart from the cardamom and sandalwood which I don't pick up at all. Nothing about this feels resinous to me...it's herbal, clean, subtle. Low throw but good staying power.

This is a similar experience for me as Girl in White; it feels sophisticated and tasteful, but GiW has a fruity overtone which can be a bit too much in warmer weather, and this seems very cool and great for a warm spring day.

ETA: Something strange happened with this one that is probably down to my personality, rather than the fragrance, but each consecutive time I tried this, it reminded me more and more of a masculine scent, to the point where on my last two applications, it felt too manly for me. It took on the quality of the modern type of men's fragrances that I associate with riding the bus and sitting next to a guy that's spritzed just a bit too much. A scent being masculine wouldn't ordinarily put me off--some of my very favorites are labeled as "unisex"--but despite having adored this at first, it just went south from there. A few other loved scents have done this to me, albeit a little more slowly, and I have always done this with music, too. A handful will still work for me years later, but with some I do a complete 180 and become averse to something I once loved. My own weird little quirk, I guess. :violin: