What are your Favorite Books?

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

labraptor
mortal
mortal

Post by labraptor »

As part of my New Year's resolution, I'm going to try to do something to make me happy each and every day. I love reading for pleasure. What are you reading or what have you read that's worth suggesting? I figured that those in this community have at least a couple of things in common, so I'm hoping you guys can recommend some gems!
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

It's difficult to say without some input as to what you'd be interested in as topics. What type of books do you normally read? Do you most enjoy classics or contemporary? Give a jumping off point for what YOU like or else you'll get a random assortment of what may not be to your taste :)

For example, I am a classic lit kind of girl. I like Old Man and the Sea, something about that poor old man breaks my heart. Pride and Prejudice is my all time fav though. So romantic and still amusing and high-spirited. Les Misérables broke my heart but was an incredible read. Buckets of tears on that one, lol. So many more I can't go on forever. But those are three that really got to me. But I think most people have all ready read them.

So it's all in what sort of thing you enjoy.
Aevalin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aevalin »

Keep in mind that I tend to like supernatural, thriller and fantasy type books...

Neil Gaiman always makes me happy - Neverwhere and American Gods are two must reads I think. I love Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. And of course there's Good Omens that Gaiman and Pratchett wrote together. I also enjoy Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.
emma
archangel
archangel

Post by emma »

I second Neil Gaiman, my favorites are Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book. The book I've bought the most is The Last Unicorn, I keep giving it away! My alltime favorite books are To Kill a Mockingbird, Mrs. Mike, For Whom The Bell Toles, so many more! I'd like to read some Kage Baker cause I took basic Elizabethen from her and her partner Kathleen many many times and I can still hear her saying" The looord is muy shepard I shall not went" I shamefully never got around around to reading her books when she was alive.
morningglory
principalities
principalities

Post by morningglory »

I enjoy fantasy and paranormal romance. My favorite series are the Kusheil books by Jaqueline Carey and The Dark Jewels books by Anne Bishop. I also like anything by Illona Andrews or Patricia Briggs.
samcalam
principalities
principalities

Post by samcalam »

Light reading- A lovely Maeve Binchy!!!:bigsmile:
stephgem77
a spark
a spark

Post by stephgem77 »

I love young adult books. They are so much fun. My hubby gave me a kindle for Christmas. I just downloaded two books. Cassandra clares lates book Clockwork Angel. I loved her Mortal instraments series. I also adore Sarah Addison Allan's books. Her book garden Spells is one of my all time favorites. I am currently rereading the Harry Potter series.
Aevalin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aevalin »

Ahhh Cassandra Claire! I have some to read of hers as well - I remember when she was a fanfic writer ;)
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

I can only have time for technical manuals any more. heh. Actually that is pretty funny considering what I have read in my past lives.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

My all time favorite series of books is The Faded Sun trilogy by C. J. Cherryh. I reread them once every other year or so. Second favorite is the Coldfire trilogy by C. S. Friedman. The Faded Sun is sci-fi and Coldfire is fantasy. If you'd like a quick read, my novel The Summer of the Frogs (available on Amazon w/ two 5 stars reviews (from non-family)) is also very good. ;)