The "What are you wearing today and general impressions of it" thread :)

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Re: The "What are you wearing today and general impressions of it" thread :)

Post by Boudicca »

Today was Gratify & Seduce from the Halloween Inferno. This has aged nicely and the longevity -- wow! I usually reapply around midday but not today and it was still there at like 9pm. There was an adjective that came to mind but of course I forgot it and I had to shower tonight so, yeah, that's why this is in general impressions rather than reviews :s:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
pink.dot
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by pink.dot »

I can't afford any new Halloween scents right now so, I am wearing Dark from a previous year and I love it so much! I wish I had a bottle.

Dark:A thick and perfumy blend with a heavy dose of Frankincense to start off, black musk and fig. No greenery with it but a good layer of an almost burnt sugar and an animalic undercurrent which somehow becomes very light and sweet when breathed out.

Now that I read the notes I see fig and I usually avoid that note. That's strange. To me smells like cherries and musk and sugar!!!
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

I picked up a decant of The Height of Impropriety, which I wore earlier today. Oh, it was heavenly! For about five minutes. Then it became Red Hots candy (too cinnamony for me) for about fifteen minutes, before disappearing entirely. :gaah:

Nevertheless, it was so pretty at first that I'm looking at all the foody scents I typically avoid. I just remembered that I have a froppet of Gingerbread Whorehouse, and I'm wearing that now. It reminds me of caramel apple cider. It's so fricking delicious my wrist and my nose are on a hot date this evening.
pink.dot
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by pink.dot »

Crocopardapottamus: Quirky dark syrup of milo is rubbed with a small amount of lime and a grain of incense. Really intriguing.

Mmm that's good. I had the decant sometime now but I didn't like it from the poppet so I hadn't given a proper chance to this perfume at all.
On me it's almost like gingerbread with a hint of incense. The lime is like when you are making a syrup and you put a piece of lemon so it will break all the sweetness.
MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta »

This morning I tried to wear Maggie (which was one of my fave perfumes for a long while). But suddenly for some reason my skin turned the marshmallow notes into 'Cotton Balls and Toilet Cleaner'! :gaah:
I have no idea that marshmallow can go that astringent on me, I seriously had to hurriedly scrub it off before going to work (because I don't want to weird out everyone at the office). It's super weird because Maggie had been working really well on my skin for the past two months, so I don't know what happened. Sadly, I still smell like chocolate-and-toilet cleaner' today.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

MageLocusta wrote:This morning I tried to wear Maggie (which was one of my fave perfumes for a long while). But suddenly for some reason my skin turned the marshmallow notes into 'Cotton Balls and Toilet Cleaner'! :gaah:
I have no idea that marshmallow can go that astringent on me, I seriously had to hurriedly scrub it off before going to work (because I don't want to weird out everyone at the office). It's super weird because Maggie had been working really well on my skin for the past two months, so I don't know what happened. Sadly, I still smell like chocolate-and-toilet cleaner' today.
Have you, by any chance, changed your soap? Other factors can affect skin changes, including recent change in diet, or hormone level changes. It is always so frustrating to me when something doesn't work all of a sudden. It's great when it goes the other way though.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta »

Maya wrote:Have you, by any chance, changed your soap? Other factors can affect skin changes, including recent change in diet, or hormone level changes. It is always so frustrating to me when something doesn't work all of a sudden. It's great when it goes the other way though.
It's very likely that it's my hormones or change of diet. I'm still using the same soap and moisturizer, but I find it weird because Maggie did well on my skin even after I had to chop raw onions and garlic (and the smell of those vegetables do stay on you for a while!). So you're right, it might be something to do with my skin chemistry (siiiiigh).
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

One of my supervisors said to me this morning, "I can always tell when you are here because I can smell you. But I'm not complaining. It smells so good here!"
I am wearing Wassail! Wassail! from last Yule, which is probably totally inappropriately boozy for work, but hey, Mary is cool with it.
Also, our Lab is going out for Holiday Happy Hour/Pizza after work so I thought I should wear something festive :wink:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

I have been wearing Midnight Mass at Old St Mary's for the last THREE days. I rarely wear the same scent two days in a row, let alone three! This is lovely and my Holy Tinsel, how well this has aged! Have gotten so many compliments and can't keep my nose from my wrist. My bottle is less than half full, but will order another one for the aging factor. To the cellar with ye!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Midnight Mass is GLORIOUS when it's aged. When I first make it, I am always underwhelmed. When I dig it out a year later, I am in heaven. There are very few perfumes which really age as powerfully as Midnight Mass. Surprisingly enough, so does Florida.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!