The "What are you wearing today and general impressions of it" thread :)

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Re: The "What are you wearing today and general impressions of it" thread :)

Post by Boudicca » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Petticoats wrote:
Maya wrote:
Petticoats wrote: Lately I've mostly been rotating Pachelbel's Canon, Mona Lisa, and Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy--so different from each other and all so lovely.
Funny, I just ordered Pachelbel's and Spanish Dancer because they are ones that keep calling me partly due to your reviews lol. I suspect I'm going to adore them.
I haven't actually tried Spanish DanceR (though it sounds intriguing), so you'll have to tell us what it's like! The one I'm so fond of is Spanish Dance from the Nutcracker.

Today I'm back to the gorgeous Clara's Party. I can never stay away from it for long.
Oh Zod. I didn't realize there was a Spanish DanceR too lol. Almond can be a tricky note for me though.
Still need to get showered and dressed, lol I'm such a slob. Will probably go with a Cambienne again. Which one though....
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Today I switched things up and wore Jurogumo. It's so wonderfully warming in chilly weather or on rainy days (and today was both). It lasted wonderfully in my scent locket too.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:44 am

Boudicca wrote:Love Spanish Dance! Not sure about Pachelbel's Canon, I may or may not have a decant?
Petticoats wrote:I haven't actually tried Spanish DanceR (though it sounds intriguing), so you'll have to tell us what it's like! The one I'm so fond of is Spanish Dance from the Nutcracker.

Two different people, and this is what I get for responding when I'm sick. My head seriously can't keep a thought straight. (I don't know if it helps or makes it worse that I had both Dance and Dancer up and was comparing to see if I wanted both lol.)

I wore Judith this weekend (not of the self portrait). It is in my pile of things to review, and I couldn't have given any of the notes to save my life. Today, I pulled it out again and got beyond the faint peanut butter note that I first got in the bottle. (Peanut butter in perfume form.) And I realized AHA! that's how some vetivers and some sandalwoods first hit me. I looked up the notes, and yes there they both were. I don't know if it's because I've been sick and so my skin is acting weird, but my skin ate this up within a very short amount of time. It was very pretty while it lasted, and bloomed beautifully for about an hour, bringing up the floral tinge that sits in the bottle that isn't listed anywhere in the notes.

This one is more perfumey than I always expect, but also after the first bloom seems to soften considerably (which is a surprise since vetiver can get stronger not weaken), but it was nice to wear while it lasted.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Maya wrote:I wore Judith this weekend (not of the self portrait). It is in my pile of things to review, and I couldn't have given any of the notes to save my life. Today, I pulled it out again and got beyond the faint peanut butter note that I first got in the bottle. (Peanut butter in perfume form.) And I realized AHA! that's how some vetivers and some sandalwoods first hit me. I looked up the notes, and yes there they both were. I don't know if it's because I've been sick and so my skin is acting weird, but my skin ate this up within a very short amount of time. It was very pretty while it lasted, and bloomed beautifully for about an hour, bringing up the floral tinge that sits in the bottle that isn't listed anywhere in the notes.

This one is more perfumey than I always expect, but also after the first bloom seems to soften considerably (which is a surprise since vetiver can get stronger not weaken), but it was nice to wear while it lasted.
I'm glad you reminded me of the magnificent Judith, one of my favorites of the Femmes Fatales. She sometimes goes wonky on my skin, but I wore her in a scent locket today and she was glorious!

I'm sorry to hear you're sick, though. I hope beautiful Posset fragrances will speed your recovery. :hug:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:39 am

Petticoats wrote:Today I switched things up and wore Jurogumo. It's so wonderfully warming in chilly weather or on rainy days (and today was both). It lasted wonderfully in my scent locket too.
I am so glad I got a bottle of Jurogumo! It is beautiful!

Yes, Maya, sorry to hear you are sick and hope you are fit now. Us perfumistas are hard hit when the nose stuffs up.

Now wearing Cambienne Black Magic. Rich, dark and sexy.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:08 pm

I got my decants in the other day, and have been trying those--I loved wearing Empyrian!It has divine notes in it and the lily of the valley blends in smoothly without standing out too heavily as that note sometimes can--in this, it's perfect. There is a note in it that reminds me just a bit of a note in Wallis Simpson, but it's got much more citrus and so is less musky and more refreshing. Every note is beautiful in this one.

So sorry to hear you've been sick, Maya, I hope you feel much better today. :hug:

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Cambienne: Western Moon (Early December, 2015 Gemini)
Oh. My. Zod.
The black tea note initially, just for a moment, has an almost anise vibe to it. Then it's definitely tea, but not at all bitter which black tea sometimes is on me. It's probably the copal. Zod, it's just freaken gorgeous. So, yeah... black tea and copal... and incense. Japanese incense, like in Fibonacci Curve. I want to call it Fabienne Incense, not Japanese, because she did that note (among so many others) so well!
There's evidently 2 patchoulis in it, but I'm not really getting patch. The bay is there if I search (sniff?) for it, I think it's keeping the copal in check. As for the frankincense, maybe just intensifying the "Fabienne Incense" a little.
I should copy this to the actual Review area.
Like I've said, December always makes me think of Cambiennes.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:52 am

Mona Lisa. I should be eating clementines for the whole experience.
Tomorrow will be Dark Festivus, because. Looking forward to it.

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Boudicca, I know exactly what you mean when you say "Fabienne's incense". Although I smell more "traditional" incense in some perfumes like Midnight Mass at Old St Mary's, there is a different style in scents like Mafia which is more ethereal.

Marisaviola, hmmm on Empyriam...I tend to avoid Lily of the Valley because of my childhood over-obsession with Muguet de Bois. (Coty??)

Today, Summer (Mucha). Maybe my favorite Posset.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Ribbands. Haven't worn this one in a while... it's so comforting. David got it for me (and some others) back in 2012.

So, the question is, what for tomorrow? Leaning towards The Burning Xmas Tree, but depending on my mood maybe Tryst or Xmas in New Orleans. Or Lumaria. If I can't decide, maybe Meat Candy, cuz like I say, you just can't go wrong with bacon.