Great Combinations For Layering

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Great Combinations For Layering

Post by sillageslut »

I thought it might be fun to have a thread for combinations of Possets that you have tried and turned out really good, or even ones that have been really terrible. I think Fabienne has the best job in the world, so I like to pretend some days that I have a sliver of her talent and mix a couple of her scents. I was also very curious which combinations others have tried.

Today was one of my good combos. I mixed Blue Danube with Pavane. The Silver base toned down the florals nicely and the touch of cardamon with the blueberry was just lovely.
Boudicca

Re: Great Combinations For Layering

Post by Boudicca »

Not so much a combination, but a method. One thing on skin, another in a scent locket. Example: The Gluttons Delight on skin. Yum! But it needs chocolate, like maybe The All Chocolate Dinner. Put that in a scent locket and between the two... *swoon!
Yes, I think that is my favorite way of "layering". Try it!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

Boudicca wrote:Not so much a combination, but a method. One thing on skin, another in a scent locket. Example: The Gluttons Delight on skin. Yum! But it needs chocolate, like maybe The All Chocolate Dinner. Put that in a scent locket and between the two... *swoon!
Yes, I think that is my favorite way of "layering". Try it!
I don't have a scent locket, but it is something I have thought about purchasing on Ebay or Etsy. That is a great idea for combining scents especially if you are using different brands as they might go funky when mixed on the skin. Different carrier oils don't always like each other.

Another combo I tried yesterday was Ride of the Valkyries mixed with Pavane. This one I think I will use often. I love it almost as much as I love Silver Chypre. It will also help me from burning through my bottle of Silver Chypre so fast.
caith_possets
mortal
mortal

Post by caith_possets »

I mentioned this in my review of Russian Dance, but it layers wonderfully with Arcturus.

This weekend I did some more layering experiments, and two that I really enjoyed were Hungarian Dance + Nocturne, and Arrival of the Queen of Sheba + Arabian Dance. :heartrise: Hungarian Rhapsody is very strong on me and Nocturne softens it beautifully. Incidentally, BPAL's The Lights of Men's Lives also layers with Hungarian Rhapsody very well.

As for the other combination, it just works at every stage! Initially, the coffee in Arabian Dance melds with all the notes in Sheba to create quite a heady but incredibly delicious fragrance. Then the coffee and suede notes fade on me, leaving a scent that's spicy but airy and not too sweet. I really, really love it.
Last edited by caith_possets on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

Those are interesting combinations above, Cath!! I wouldn't think of layering the Nocturne with the more resinous scents, but as I have not even smelled Nocurne yet (just living vicariously through you all!), I guess I cannot say.

Today I am wearing two of my top all time hands down favorites in combo and am ridiculously distracted: the stunning Hopheads (is this brew even legal???) and my signature BPAL scent Antikythera Mechanism. I smell like a lady in an old boys club: teak, vanilla, tobacco, ambers and an exquisite cup of European coffee.

Now I can't wait to get my hands on the Arabian Dance for more of this great coffee scent!
caith_possets
mortal
mortal

Post by caith_possets »

Today I am wearing two of my top all time hands down favorites in combo and am ridiculously distracted: the stunning Hopheads (is this brew even legal???) and my signature BPAL scent Antikythera Mechanism. I smell like a lady in an old boys club: teak, vanilla, tobacco, ambers and an exquisite cup of European coffee.
Oh my goodness, I will have to try this! Antikythera Mechanism is one of my favourites too.
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

Cambienne Time is lovely, but has very low staying power on me. It felt sacrilegious, but I layered it with Mary Shelley on just one wrist. It worked!
Chime
archangel
archangel

Post by Chime »

st. fabian and dangerous oil.
codexnocturna.blogspot.com
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

One of the best ones yet! The Pleiades with Arcturus. They just seem to go together. Soft pink roses with sweet oude, need I say more?
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

Queen of the Night with Isabella. Isabella's soft rose cuts some of the strong fennel in Queen of the Night, making it a perfect scent for early Spring. I actually prefer the combination of these two to wearing Queen of the Night by itself.