Retour recommendations!

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

jackieo
archangel
archangel

Retour recommendations!

Post by jackieo »

I thought it would be good if we had a thread where we can ask for recommendations for retired Possets.

I'm looking for Vanilla recommendations. Anything that I desperately need to try? I pretty much have every permanent vanilla, but I missed most of the retired vanilla scents.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retour recommendations!

Post by fabienne »

I just elevated this topic to an announcement. I do realize there is a BLINDING number of perfumes here and you need some guidance from others. I expect that this will be a useful place to get good ideas. :hug:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

GAH!!!! There is a scent with OSMANTHUS AND COFFEE!???? :chase:
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

jackieo wrote:I thought it would be good if we had a thread where we can ask for recommendations for retired Possets.

I'm looking for Vanilla recommendations. Anything that I desperately need to try? I pretty much have every permanent vanilla, but I missed most of the retired vanilla scents.
DNA is a gloriously decadent foody vanilla. http://possets.com/retour-previous-seas ... erfume-oil
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Morbane
primordial
primordial

Post by Morbane »

Perfect timing! I haven't bought any Possets for at least three years, as I could not justify it on my budget... but now I have a new job and it's Retour time.

So, if I listed some of my previous favourites, would other people be willing to make suggestions?

My top favourites are:
Zubeneschamali (love the coffee and smoke)
The Star (love the cold pine and the balance of mint is just right for me - sometimes I find mint overwhelming)
Sophie (so lovely and mellow and dances through a range of notes when on me)
Brass Heart
Scythe (hay and cinnamon)
Huile of Fortune.

Some of my favourite fragrances are: grapefruit, lemongrass and bergamot (but I don't always get on so well with orange or lemon); smoky scents; woody scents such as cedar and pine; chrysanthemum; carnation; herbs and spices.

I have found that items in the sugary/gourmandy/foody sections of Possets rarely work well for me, sad to say - so no "dessert"-themed scents.

I hope that's enough description to be helpful, and that this is posted in the right place.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

Morbane wrote:Perfect timing! I haven't bought any Possets for at least three years, as I could not justify it on my budget... but now I have a new job and it's Retour time.

Some of my favourite fragrances are: grapefruit, lemongrass and bergamot (but I don't always get on so well with orange or lemon); smoky scents; woody scents such as cedar and pine; chrysanthemum; carnation; herbs and spices.

I've come to ADORE the grapefruit in possets, although I'm fairly new and have only tried the recent cambiennes and scents with it. Diamond, from the cocktail party, is a truly beautiful grapefruit and musk combo. I treasure my bottle. I have no idea how it compares to the other grapefruit and musk combos that have come up with the retour. maybe someone here would be good enough to death match a few?
I'm considering pi perfume and sparks, which has no review! anyone have anything to say about sparks, please?

also requesting review for bitter, which sadly has none!
also wings perfume, which doesn't even seem to have a review thread (http://possets.com/retour-previous-seas ... erfume-oil)

I have a LEATHER question. I adore Stewart and 1812 Overture. I'm wanting another leather possets and am currently considering: JFK and Jackie, Toccata, Night on Bald Mountain, Mink Hairshirt. anyone able to compare/contrast what I know and love with these unknowns, please?

any resin blends that might come close to my beloved cambienne from last winter, Dark Festivus? crown of the vulture perhaps? :chase:

thank you!
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

Morbane wrote: So, if I listed some of my previous favourites, would other people be willing to make suggestions?

My top favourites are:
Zubeneschamali (love the coffee and smoke)
The Star (love the cold pine and the balance of mint is just right for me - sometimes I find mint overwhelming)
Sophie (so lovely and mellow and dances through a range of notes when on me)
Brass Heart
Scythe (hay and cinnamon)
Huile of Fortune.
Hi Morbane! I haven't tried any of your favorites, but if you like fir, I recommend "Romping Skyclad". Don't let the patch scare you off - it's very well-behaved!

Since you like spices, you might also like "3336 Reservoir Road". Although it mentions tea, I don't think of this as a gourmand by a long shot. Definitely more a chypre. A waft of spring air with spices!

"Maharani of Kuch-Bahar" - incense, tamarind and blood orange - might be a tossup since you don't always like orange, but if it works for you, it's amazing.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Annemathematics wrote: I have a LEATHER question. I adore Stewart and 1812 Overture. I'm wanting another leather possets and am currently considering: JFK and Jackie, Toccata, Night on Bald Mountain, Mink Hairshirt. anyone able to compare/contrast what I know and love with these unknowns, please?

any resin blends that might come close to my beloved cambienne from last winter, Dark Festivus? crown of the vulture perhaps? :chase:

thank you!
LEATHER

I was about to answer this one earlier then my 3pm showed up early. That's OK though cuz now I'm home and can actually grab bottles. OK:

JFK & Jackie is... I think someone described it as "cultured leather"? It's sophisticated yet not heavy, would work with jeans OR a LBD for me. Seriously, it's one I might reach for when I have no clue what I want. Also one I might reach for if I need some confidence.

Night on Bald Mountain and Toccata are both beautiful. For me the leather in Night does not stick around too long but the drydown (chypre) is still lovely without it. The leather sticks around in Toccata.

Mink Hairshirt is nice, leather with some citrus & whatnot. With your love of grapefruit, you might really dig this one.

Other suggestions:
Inez (OAR) is a beautiful carnation/leather/citrus blend. Nice for Fall.

And, I have to recommend my fav - 3 1/2 Horsemen of the Apocalypse! Bacon & Leather. I know that sounds messed up like a soup sandwich, but it works! It's smoky & ... I need more adjectives! First time I wore it, I asked my son to smell it & what he thought. "Chocolate." I wore this one today to celebrate Retour! (I can hardly type Retour! without an exclamation point.) There's a bit of a pepper note at the opening that I don't remember from the last time I wore it, but I find that note intriguing and it doesn't stick around too long which makes it more so.

Hope this is helpful!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

Thank you, Boudicca!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Annemathematics wrote: also wings perfume, which doesn't even seem to have a review thread (http://possets.com/retour-previous-seas ... erfume-oil)
Hey, Annemathematics! Nice catch! I added a review thread for Wings since I looked all over and couldn't find one either.
Maya busted her butt last Retour getting descriptions up of scents that had none at that point. I wasn't a Mod then so she was doing it all by herself and like I said she did an awesome job! So, if any of you stumble across a scent that has no review thread give us a heads up and we will correct that! We are continuously trying to make this forum the best it can be!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds