Perfume oils and diffusers

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Chime
archangel
archangel

Perfume oils and diffusers

Post by Chime »

So I got one of those ultrasonic diffuser devices and it's not bad with essential oil blends. I use it partially as a humidifier too.

I was thinking why not diffuse the perfume oils too? I have some lying around that didn't work on my skin but I liked the smell of. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? or is the danger that I would be breathing certain things I shouldn't?
codexnocturna.blogspot.com
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Perfume oils and diffusers

Post by Maya »

Some say you can use oil based perfumes, but yes without knowing what ingredients are used there are possible dangers of inhaling the mist.

When you put perfume oil on the skin, you are also "ingesting" some of it so the ingredients go into your system that way, so some say you might as well be able to use it in a diffuser. However, there is a lot of evidence out there (depending on who you are lol) that suggests that when the essential oil molecules are broken down and "carried" with the water as mist that you get more of the ingredients in your lungs than you would otherwise. The lungs don't have the same filtering mechanism as our noses and skin do, and (depending on the ingredient) it can irritate the lungs and/or create issues.

If you know that the perfume oil ingredients are completely "healthy" plant based, and if you know those plants have beneficial properties for the body (such as lavender) then diffusing shouldn't be a problem. But, most of us don't know all of the ingredients in our perfume oils, so it's recommended that you don't diffuse.

Having said all of that, I think some perfume oils would probably be okay, as long as the diffuser isn't directly next to you, you aren't inhaling the mist, and you aren't putting a lot of the oil in the water. (Also, be sure to clean out the diffuser with vinegar when you are done, if the manufacturer allows, after you use the perfume oil to make sure you get it super clean, just in case there are ingredients in the perfumes/oils that could clash with each other.)
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!