How are you lovelies holding up?

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How are you lovelies holding up?

Post by Maya »

lily wrote:Hello,

Have never posted here before but wanted to say how very sad I was to read that Fabienne had passed. I didn't regularly read the forum or blog, and was so shocked to see the news. I had always guessed her age to be around 35 for some reason...I so hope she knew how much joy she brought with Possets. 'Bottled happiness' described it perfectly.
Welcome, Lily. There has been a lot of joy here through the years. If you've never read the forum or blog, you may be interested in doing so. We have perfume reviews, comments about releases (as they were coming out and after), and a variety of interesting threads. It's been bitter sweet to go back through and see comments by Fabienne, and how so many of the perfumes were discussed by Fabienne. It's clear that she had such a love for what she did, and that comes through so well on the forum. Even you decide not to go through and read, we are glad to see you here. :hrt::
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
lily

Post by lily »

Thank you for the kind welcome Maya :)
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Welcome, Lily (many days late)--it really is a lovely community of people, and so glad that you and others have come online and shared. It's a fantastic perfume resource, also.

Oh, dear--I was just looking through the last Retour conversations to find a perfume description and I came across this--it made me so sad--Annemathematics was commenting to Minh Scent:

"I had a feeling about BW and Hallelujah...

minh, 1812 is amazing! there are so many new scents to try, but to run out of this would be :cry: and what if Fabienne retires or runs away with a traveling museum exhibit and never runs another retrour? to backup bottle, or to gamble and try the many new smells? that is the difficult choice one faces here in possetland."

But on the positive side, it was a glorious Retour, we all had seemed to have a lot of fun and I got the impression Fabienne really enjoyed it also--so it's definitely a bittersweet memory, now.
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

Thank you for this memory, Mariasaviola!! The Retour was amazingly fun!! I loved that aspect of Possets...the chance of things coming back.

I am very, very grateful, I had the joy of a Retour. Funnily enough, I had my 1812 on last week. It is aging brilliantly.

I miss Fabienne.
katiushka
archangel
archangel

Post by katiushka »

It took time, but I finally got my thoughts down on paper - who Fabienne was, why she meant so much to me, and why I still miss her so. It has been a very healing experience. Thank you, everyone, for sharing your memories as well!

Just posting a few paragraphs from there. I'm sure many of us can relate to them, and I would love to hear thoughts/ additions from anyone else still experiencing the sense of loss.

"Fabienne is a role model to me – in manners, culture, knowledge of her craft, lighteartedness, leadership. She could have lived in luxury, but bravely chose a life of uncertainty as an artist and entrepreneur. She could have catered to modern tastes, but somehow lifted us – her customers - to her level. She could have stayed content with mixing scents that were “in”, but she created something entirely new – a philosophy and treatise expressed in perfume, without calling it such. And she made all this seem effortless.

But [the pain] is more than that. It is the existential sadness of knowing that the world lost a nontrivial source of wisdom. It is also a sense of injustice – that someone born to create beauty and to fill others with joy must face death. Finally, a selfish sense of personal loss – looking at her creations and knowing that there will never be another; that she will never recommend another book to me; will never send me another scent named after my showcase dance.

To paraphrase Hamlet’s words, 'Fabienne was a lady, take her for all in all. I shall not look upon her like again.' "

I have posted the full thing on LiveJournal, in case anyone wants to relive more Fabienne stories or, like me, needs help getting closure. Stay strong!
http://jivequeen87.livejournal.com/604.html
Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Post by Minh Scent »

Beautiful, talented and wise Katiushka,

I am so touched by your writing (and encourage everyone to follow the link to read the full blog piece). You have elegantly summed up why we miss Fabienne so much. Yes, she was such a lady- in every sense of the word. Your eloquent reflection is such a fitting tribute to her.

By the way, we both have found Possets about the same time just two years ago. Late comers! I had wanted to tell you that I still remembered your comments on Air on G String and I said, "Aw, she is a musician and her dad likes it." And it went it my cart, in spite of the fact cranberries were no where on radar! I loved it and just pulled it out again this morning. So, so pretty!

Fabienne's death affected me deeply and I am still fitting it into my life. I try not to regret I didn't reach out to her more when she was "nursing her relative".

Love to you, Katiushka, and to all my other perfume friends here. I miss our perfume/life discussions here. I felt we could be honest how we felt about Fabienne's creations even when we didn't like them. (Happily, that was not so often, people were respectful and, because of skin chemistry and taste, what didn't work for one, was beautiful on the other...) I am looking forward to more of those conversations. :hug:
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

2016 has been a freaking b!tch of a year.

Mihn and Katiushka, well said! :hrt::
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
samcalam
principalities
principalities

Post by samcalam »

A truly beautiful tribute xx I just put on Madam X :madamex: so lovely too. We miss you Fabienne
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Dear Katiushka, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I loved the whole piece about Fabienne that you wrote on Livejournal, it was beautifully said.

Minh Scent, I am with you also on how you expressed the gift and support of this forum. This is the first perfume forum I have shared so much of myself with and Fabienne made it a wonderful and respectful space. I also loved the fact that we could write whatever we wanted to express on the perfumes and she gave us full freedom. Those that did not like a fragrance or had a very different take were never criticized by others.
lily

Post by lily »

Katiushka, have just read your Livejournal writing, it was fascinating to read about Fabienne, thank you for sharing it. A lovely tribute :)