Fabienne's Memorial Day Oct 15

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Minh Scent
principalities
principalities

Re: Fabienne's Memorial Day Oct 15

Post by Minh Scent »

Miss you, Fabienne. Started the day with Midnight Mass at Old St Mary's, my very first Posset bottle. Then continued with Black Prince (sublime) and finally at night, Queen of Sheba.

Marisalova and Boudicca, I have not had my computer with me, so can't put in links on my android. So sorry. I will try tomorrow.

Did you see Julia Arcana is suggesting we make October 15 an annual Possets day???

Forspecial, I am thinking about you going to the celebration of life. Hugs!

And hugs for all of you, my dear perfume friends, as we mourn our loss and rejoice we have been able to enjoy Fabienne's "bottled happiness". I hold your hands across cyberspace, looking up at the beautiful full moon from my window in Hanoi.
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc »

I'm sitting at my desk with three bottles in front of me, trying to decide which one to start today with.

I had assumed I would go with Silver Violets, the scent that showed me I could wear violet and have it be breathtakingly beautiful instead of acrid and awful on me. But I happen to be wearing a red shirt, and that made Cadmium Red leap out at me. I remember how much I loved Fabienne's foray into the Color Wheel - combining her knowledge of art with her experiments in scent. Cadmium Red is so very red, all cinnamon roses, and became a perennial favorite for Valentine's Day.

But then I saw the open bottle of Xmas in New Orleans. Magnolias in all their creamy coolness, with a spike of tanginess. I remember rhapsodizing about this scent in the forums and screaming my joy when it returned the following Christmas. Yeah, that's today's scent.

But looking at these bottles lined up, with the old-school white caps hiding those nice reducer caps that let you measure how much you wanted, a drop at a time. I remember Fabienne describing how she made her choices for labels and presentation, loving that she shared those glimpses into the running of a business with us. I remember being a little sorry when she switched to black caps because of price or distribution.

I remember her sharing so much of her craft with us: the blog, the podcasts. She combined the best of so many traits in an artist, a craftsperson, a business leader, and a friend. No matter how big her sales got, she always included that little handwritten note of appreciation to her customers, with that favorite sign-off, "Fondly, Fabienne".

I will remember you fondly, Fabienne.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Like Puck_NC, I was sitting looking at all my bottles. I loved hearing about the early bottles with the white caps. I only have one like that, bought from a forum member, for a limited scent. It was a hard choice today, and similar to Minh Scent's experience, I have had several on--so many beautiful ones. I began the day with Angels on one wrist and Archangels on the other. They are both lovely, but I think Angels will be the one I wear today.

I am lighting a candle, now, Fabienne, thinking of you, and am going to listen to some of the music that you said you loved: Smetana's Moldau, Halloween ones like Partus and Night on Bald Mountain, and I will also include Beethoven's Fifth, Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner, and finish with Nocturne by Chopin and Pachelbel's Canon, while I think of you.
Last edited by marisaviola on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forspecial
archangel
archangel

Post by forspecial »

I love reading these.

I just got home from Fabienne's memorial - a Celebration of Life. I want to put down my thoughts while it's all fresh, I know many of you would like to hear about it.

I got there about 15 minutes late. I think I was thinking of the last funeral service that I went to, last month, where there was some mingling for an hour before the actual service. Anyway, this was a real service with prayers and responses, and communion for those who wanted to do that. I apologize, I know very little about formal services like this. I have the program, maybe I can take a picture of it so everyone can see.

I got there in time for the eulogy, delivered by a lady who said she was with Fabienne a lot in the last months of her life. It was beautiful and inspiring. She talked about the moment in the hospital that the doctor told her there wasn't anything else they could do medically for her. She talked about the strength of Fabienne's faith and how she talked to everyone, and knew everyone by name, all those at the hospital who she crossed paths with. Fabienne was very involved with the planning of her memorial. She talked about Possets Perfumes, Fabienne's "baby" as she said, and how she had customers and contacts around the world. I remember she said that Possets was likely to continue in some form.

There was a reception after the service, and I had some food and very good strong coffee....yum. I still didn't know what Gordon looked like. There was a display/table devoted to Fabienne's art and to Possets. There were 2 paintings, her striking self portrait which I think is the label for Fabienne (the scent). It is amazing in person. And one called 'The Road Home', which looked familiar and might be the label of another Possets scent. I'll have to look for it and see. And there was a gorgeous charcoal drawing, another self-portrait, that I had never seen before and was simply striking in mood and character. And on the table between these was a Possets sign, a few empty Possets bottles, and her story of how Possets started, which I know I've read before and is probably here on the website. Also some photographs of her with Gordon, and of a necklace that he gave her last month for their 37th anniversary.

I introduced myself to Gordon, once I figured out who he was. I mentioned that I knew lots of people through the internet, all over the world, who wished they could be there and who sent their love. He said she was irreplaceable, and I said I loved her sense of humor. We talked a little more but that was the gist of it. I'm glad I got to meet him, he was very kind. There were so many people there, it was a little overwhelming but said a lot about the people that Fabienne touched.

Fabienne was such a bright and shining spirit. I had a moment in the middle of the service where I started to think to myself, "Oh, I'll have to tell Fabienne that I wore Terra Nocturna to......oh". I have some feelings of regret, that I lost touch with her and hadn't seen her in so long, and that I didn't really get to know her as I could have. But I believe she wouldn't want me to have regret, she would want me to have good memories and happy memories, and I have those too.
forspecial
archangel
archangel

Post by forspecial »

PS - one of the Possets bottles on the table was Gingerbread Whorehouse - in a church, which is terrific and hilarious!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I started today trying to find Moonie, and freaked out because I couldn't find him. So, I went with Orion. These two were some of the very first I tried from Possets, and I fell in love with. It made me take a much longer/harder look at Possets, and I have enjoyed the journey since.

I put on Orion, then went out the door, mourning that I couldn't find my Moonie. And wouldn't you know, as I was thinking about it, I had an image come into mind exactly where it was. When I got home, I went straight to the spot. I had put all of my LOVES in a bag, and there it was.

Ohhhh, Moonie, how I love, and how how wearing Moonie reminds me of Fabienne. That beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful mix of spices. It is, to me, such joy, such bottled happiness. I loved Moonie from the first day, and have loved ever since--and that is what Fabienne gave us: joy, love, happiness.

As evening draws near, I will probably move to a more mournful fragrance, but for now I remember Fabienne by wearing my heart on my body and being thankful that Fabienne gave us so much joy.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

forspecial wrote: Fabienne was such a bright and shining spirit. I had a moment in the middle of the service where I started to think to myself, "Oh, I'll have to tell Fabienne that I wore Terra Nocturna to......oh". I have some feelings of regret, that I lost touch with her and hadn't seen her in so long, and that I didn't really get to know her as I could have. But I believe she wouldn't want me to have regret, she would want me to have good memories and happy memories, and I have those too.
Thank you for sharing the service with us. I think a lot of us have some regret, but I agree that she would want us to have the joy and remember that. I have so many of my fragrances out that bring me such joy and I remain grateful.

My heart goes out to Gordon. Such a huge life loss. Fabienne reminds me so much of the friend I lost from cancer last year. Both--such shining lights. I am thankful for the sparks they leave behind, and more so for Fabienne's perfumes that are tangible reminders of to be happy.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Gemma
archangel
archangel

Post by Gemma »

Marisaviola kindly emailed me to let me know of Fabienne's passing. We had connected on the forum over Femme Fatale. Ironically, I put that on today before I heard the news. It felt right.

I am honestly just gutted by this. I've been wearing Possets since Fabienne first opened the business (about 10 years now). My husband (then boyfriend) lived in Cincinnati then and I was still in England. I still remember him taking me to the grocery store during one of my visits just so I could try Possets in person. I was hooked! They were the first boutique scents that ever worked for me, and I loved how personable Fabienne was on the forum and via email. She always added handwritten notes to all her parcels, and she remembered me no matter how long between my orders (and it was once over a year).

Her perfumes have been an integral part of my life. Maybe that sounds odd but scent is such a powerful sense; it can bring back a memory with such clarity. I remember choosing a Posset for my wedding night (Madame X), and I wore a variety all through my honeymoon. I was wearing one of her scents when I heard my grandfather passed away, and again at his funeral (Scented Gloves). Shortly after I adopted my first greyhound, my husband and I took him to a fenced in park to run (he didn't; he just stood and sniffed the air!). It was a snowy, crisp day in RI and I wore Snow on Bare Skin. There was a moment when we bundled into the car and cranked up the heat, where I could smell the perfume and the warm fur of my dog, and I was so content; it was a dream come true for me. I remember it so clearly. On the day we had to set my sweet grey free, I wore Arc of Venus for comfort, and then returned to Snow on Bare Skin to relive that wonderful day in the snow over and over again.
I remember choosing a suitably patriotic Possets for all of my immigration appointments; through gaining permanent residency to eventually becoming a US citizen. I would slather them on every Fall (my favourite time of year) and gloried in the joy they brought me as they merged with the cool, crisp air. So many times I have worn Pauline, FireFlakes, HopHead, or Femme Fatale to grasp that richness of the Autumn season. I've slathered on Sweet Baby and Ginger Baby on days when I needed some comfort. I've applied Femme Fatale, Mucha, or Madame X when I wanted to feel confident, sensual, or empowered. Whatever the occasion or the mood, I had a Posset for it.

For ten freaking years, her scents have been a part of my life. I am crushed to think that they are all now memories of this fabulous, gifted, strong soul. Although I never truly knew her, I always thought of her fondly.

Rest easy, Fabienne. You are truly missed by so many.
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc »

Thank you again, ForSpecial, for being our representative in person and for sharing. (Hee, someone who knew Fabienne very well chose those Possets bottles, I bet!).

When I got home I realized my Xmas in New Orleans had mostly dissipated, so I am now wearing Silver Violets. I still remember getting a free Poppet in my first or second order and laughing cynically because every violet scent I had tried before had gone awful on me. But I am also in the habit of trying, just to know. And this turned out to be glorious on my skin, leading to a wonderful relationship with a number of the Silvers.

You were magical, Fabienne. We will miss you.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Everyone has written such beautiful and moving tributes. It has meant a lot to read them. I loved reading about Gemma and ForSpecial's early experiences with Possets in Cincinnati and Maya's first Possets, and I love Puck_NC's story of Silver Violets. Most of all beyond the perfumes, I love how Fabienne herself stands out in everyone's memory as such a special, unique person and that we've been able to share this with each other.

ForSpecial, I thank you so much for going to the celebration of life and describing it in such wonderful detail, down to the bottle of Gingerbread Whorehouse. Hearing about the eulogy meant a great deal and I felt as though I were there. I really appreciate that you spoke to Gordon for all of us.

I do feel regrets, as well. I wish I had expressed more appreciation to her, and written her a card and reached out to her when she said she was taking care of her relative and she no longer wrote on the forum. I wish that this past summer she had seen me buy all the permanent Possets that I still have stored in my cart--I just signed in today on my account, and unbelievably they are all there, five of them. But I also got this sense as I was smelling her "Angels" perfume on myself today that she was encouraging me to live life and cherish it and enjoy it. The fragrance seemed to say that to me today. I think Maya said it perfectly: "As evening draws near, I will probably move to a more mournful fragrance, but for now I remember Fabienne by wearing my heart on my body and being thankful that Fabienne gave us so much joy."

One of my best memories is exchanging a few emails with Fabienne about fountain pens, which are also a passion of mine. She told me about a forum that sells and discusses fountain pens and calligraphy that I think she was a part of. I had a terrible moment this afternoon thinking that I may not have saved any of her handwritten notes, as I went through a clearing of my piles of paperwork this summer, but thankfully, I found two. Along those lines, I called my friend Diane this morning to tell her about Fabienne. She lives up in the mountains of Asheville and does not have a computer or internet. I had gifted her with a sample pack a few years ago when I first began exploring Possets. She said she has always remembered Chocolate Incense. She said that she no longer had any to wear today, but that she had saved Fabienne's personal note and that she would take it out today in her memory and say a prayer and be thinking of her with gratitude--she particularly appreciated her personal touch and kindness, she said, and had written Fabienne a thank you note in appreciation when she got the samples.