Introduction and suggestions?

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

MichelleLynne

Introduction and suggestions?

Post by MichelleLynne »

Hello everyone,

My name's Michelle, and I was asking some questions on the FB page about recommendations and not knowing where to start since I have never purchased anything from Possets, though I want to try them.

So, I'm wondering what those of you who are smarter and more experienced would recommend I start with. I like citrus scents, light florals, sweet spices, but nothing too dark or amber-y or musky. The last scent I bought was from Ebba and is called Miss Pilar which has tuberose, tangerine and jasmine notes. I do wear essential oils as scents on occasions.

Does that give you all enough to work with? Anyone feeling up to some recommendations? Many thanks for inviting me here and special thanks to Amanda for guiding me to you all! :rose4u: :rose4u: :rose4u:
Tom
mortal
mortal

Re: Introduction and suggestions?

Post by Tom »

Welcome Michelle! Have a look around and don't forget to make use of the search function. It can lead you to reviews, comments, etc. :grin:
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Welcome Michelle! I think you'll like it here :grin:

Start with a sample pack or two maybe? Check out the most "Our Most Popular" selections.

My all time fav is Allen Ginsberg - Howl. Not sure if it's your usual kind of thing but worth a try, for sure. The Damned Flower is maybe my favorite floral. Sunshine in a Bottle - California is a great citrus. My favorite tuberose is unfortunately a Cambienne so I can't help you there. The Gingerbread Houses would probably fill your sweet/spicy needs. Also I think you'd like a lot of the Silvers.

Hope that helps!
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Since you said you like citrus fragrances, I would recommend just about anything that says grapefruit or lemon or even orange. Some of them can feel a little zesty to start out with (like the pith was included), but most settle down pretty quickly and are fabulous.

Small tip: since you wear oils occasionally, when trying these I do suggest waiting at least half an hour before scrubbing anything off. Most oils (and especially these, I've found) can take a bit to settle down on the skin. Also, aging (even waiting a month after getting an oil you may not be sure about) can turn it into something you fall for.

Now back to the fun: since you also said you like light florals and spices, I'll break down some below for you:

Florals, soft: Silver Lilies, Silver Carnation, Silver Violet. Candybox pretty is one of my secret pleasures, as it's not really floral but feels floral and is flirty fun. I also adore Texas, as someone who typically can't wear rose fragrances, for feeling like a true yellow rose fragrance that's not too bold but is very present (if that makes sense). Some people seem to also like Diaphanous Dress as being a light floral that doesn't weigh too heavy on the skin. Among others, I have stretches where I have to wear Pastel Frock or Love Song of the Owl (although that one is Discontinued so I don't know how much of that is left). And, of course, there's also the other discontinued Scent of Angels. All of these are different vibes, but offer a nice range of soft florals. Some would add South Carolina or Hawaii to the list, but those tend to get VERY BOLD on my skin, so I hesitate to recommend those, too.

In between the soft florals and spice fragrances are what I consider comfort fragrances that I think everyone should try (because I shied away from them initially, then found them and ADORED them). Of those would be ANYTHING lavender from Possets, but particularly Indigo (one of my top ten forever and ever amen scents, because it has a nice blend of spice but also the balance of lavender), Lavender Corset, Lavender Pepys (another one that has a nice spice balance to it), Ponder, Lovechild: Sweetbaby, and Silver Lavender. If you want some that are more bold that take some of these notes and make them more sensual or deep, I would try Arc of Venus, The Seductive Jesuit (more masculine on some skin), Amethyst, Cootie (such a fun fun fun perfume), Dance with Me, and Dark Lady. Warning: on me, Dark Lady goes to funk, but I've tried it on friends here at perfume parties and it goes into glorious gorgeous chypre-esque beauty.

For spicy, I have to be careful because I have very sensitive skin, so some of the cinnamon fragrances here I can't wear. Having said that, if you love spices RUN do not walk to Big Black Cat. Cootie also rounds out with some warm spices, and is completely snuggable. Chai (currently on retour right now, iirc) can also be a good one, but some people have said that the "milk" aspect goes a little curdled on their skin. Ymmv. The Gingerbreads (Whorehouse and Crackhouse, with the edge to Whorehouse) are favorites for a reason. They are the quintessential snuggly/spice/yum fragrances. They are frankly what originally hooked me on Possets, until I was trying samples every chance I took (which led to bottles, and buying like a mad woman). Moonie is another that I adored, but since it is discontinued I do not know if anything remains. Morgan le Fay is like a gingerbread spicecake in a bottle. Deep, rich, warm. Some people say it comes across as too heavy on the patchouli, but for me it's all "I want you to wear it so I can bite you, reooowwwr." Nevada Heat is also spicy, but some people feel that one is a little too sweet. Again, skin chemistry and time will be the determination of that. Anything with Carnation is worth trying for both the floral and the spices, as Carnation and clove seem to go hand in hand. Silver Carnation will have a lighter touch, but there are others that focus more on the deeply spicy/clove heart of the carnation that you may enjoy. I would also recommend trying out the The Girls Love series, but it seems people either love or hate the honey note so that's another where ymmv.

There are really so many fantastic fragrances here. For me, it was a mad dash of buying and trying as many samples as I could. As said elsewhere and multiple times, don't be afraid to try something that is on your "I can't do that" list. I found that Possets had a way of turning things I didn't like into loves (although some I love just won't work well no matter what, like most rose fragrances, which is why Texas is such an anomaly for me).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Welcome, Michelle! Somehow I missed your post until now. I’m so happy you’ve joined us on the forum, and I’m sorry I’m so tardy greeting you. :) (ETA: I guess it would help if I mentioned that I'm Amanda!)

Maya is wise and has given you so many great suggestions that I’m not sure I have much to add. But here are a few that come to mind...

Vernal Sun is a happy lemon blend, a delightful citrus.

Medusa, now available on the retour, is a beauty. My bottle is from the Sicily collection’s debut, so it’s a few years old, but at this point the coconut has taken a back seat and it’s primarily a fresh, luscious, faintly tart/citrussy floral, just wonderful for warm weather.

Limoncello: Ti Amo is a delightful lemon-rose blend that is very refreshing.

I’ll second Maya’s suggestion of Lavender Corset. If you’re a fan of lilacs, it is heaven.

Frolic is a luscious sweet olive blossom that comes across as almost a fresh peach.

Robert Burns’ My Love Is Like a Red, Red Rose is a tender, sugared rose.

The Pleiades is a gentle, non-overpowering floral, very feminine.

Faith is a terrific spicy posset, but I just realized it's not in the permanent collection--I think that may be one of the Yules.

I hope that helps! Have fun exploring.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Ooooh yes, I second the Limoncello (as well as the others, but that's the one where I almost literally slapped myself for forgetting lol). Love love love how delightful that one is.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!