Looking for a forest scent

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Erawiel

Looking for a forest scent

Post by Erawiel »

Short time lurking, first time posting - Hello everyone (Hi Marisaviola I finally made the move!)

As suggested by the title, I'm looking for some wood scents that would evoke a forest of the northern hemisphere. So either coniferus or leafy, not too wet, not too much of that "dirt" note...
Is there such a thing here?

EDIT to add, if it could be from the permanent line too, it'd help. :)
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a forest scent

Post by Maya »

I can't really think of many deciduous tree/forest type fragrances here (there are a few, but often mingled with wet leaves type notes that make it more damp than what I think you may be going for, or they are more focused on wood and not a foresty type smell), but there are plenty in the pine/fir range (especially now). Here are some you may want to look up the reviews on and see if they go along with what you are thinking of: Nocturne, The Star, Liquid Tinsel, Boughs. Several of those have other notes with them, but I have always been a fan of the Possets fir note.

As I've been writing, I've also been trying to think of anything that may work for more a deciduous forest fragrance, and I realized that Halloween may be along the lines of what you are looking for, but that one is only available in retours (sadly, because it's pretty fantastic). Another that may be worth trying (again on retour) is Etna. Another that I think is wonderful (but it does have a more "wet" edge to it, and is again only available on retour) is Dancing With the Sprites in Fall Rain.

There really isn't, to my recollection, a solidly "forest" fragrance here that is simply forest. There are several forest type fragrances, but they all include notes like wet leaves or amber or sugar that provide a spin (such as several of the fir/pine perfumes I mentioned above).

On a side note, I keep wanting to recommend Orion to you. It's not a forest perfume at all so not at all what you are looking for, and I apologize for that. However, it is a beautiful wood/spice perfume that, even with the addition of vanilla, comes across as warm and smooth wood that someone who enjoys forests may enjoy.

I feel like I'm forgetting one or two perfumes that I should be mentioning, so I'll keep thinking about this and hopefully have more to add later (or someone else will come along and do a better job than I have lol).
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

Hi, Erawiel,

Welcome, so sorry I missed seeing this earlier! I hope you like your samples that you ordered and find some new loves!

Happy Christmas, everyone!
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Welcome, Erawiel!
I really can't add anything to what Maya posted. Those were the ones I was thinking of, and I really was wracking my brains (lol) to think of anything not coniferous. But oh, you want coniferous trees? Those nail it.

If you have questions about resins or vanilla or chocolate or bacon I may be more helpful lol! I'm possibly the bacon expert.
:rofl:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

I would add "Romping Skyclad" to the list, also, as a more earthy and resinous version of fir.
http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... ng+Skyclad
Erawiel

Post by Erawiel »

Thanks everyone.

Yeah usually I'm neck deep in gourmand stuff, but I had a passing craving.
I think a mix of comfy warm woods with vanilla sounds like something I'd be head over heals about. I'll take a read at Orion!