Suggestions/fantasies/ideas for new scents

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions/fantasies/ideas for new scents

Post by Maya » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 am

tarayvonne wrote:Finding vanilla pods around here is a big "yeah right", but I'd love to know how how it works?
It's pretty easy: you cut the pod down the middle, scrape out the seeds (I use the blunt edge of the knife I used to cut the pod), and put the seeds into whatever dish is being made. The pod itself can be added to alcohol or sugar or other things you may want a vanilla flavor to to give them a vanilla flavor, but you can also dry the pods then grind them up and use that as flavoring too.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

willworkforvanilla
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by willworkforvanilla » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I can not quote because I'm on my kindle and it hates me...but I will second a silver grapefruit. We need that for summer.

Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:22 pm

I would love an herbal scent for the spring or summer. Something refreshing and of cooking quality perhaps.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:21 pm

I've been in a cherryish mood lately, especially after snagging the very last tiny vials of Great Actuary of Babylon and falling in love with it. I know it's not possible to reproduce Great Actuary, but I would love something like its magical combination of cherry, black musk, and incense (I think?). It's thumpingly sexy and lushly feminine.

On the other hand, with spring coming, lighter cherry fragrances like Jester and Meltbaby are calling to me. Maybe I don't need a new fragrance so much as a bigger supply of the ones I do have. :grin:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Chime
archangel
archangel

Post by Chime » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:36 am

Someone recently mentioned to me a perfume by some big perfume house (can't remember the perfume OR the company), but apparently it was inspired by spices and the smell of the sea. It has roasted cumin (I remember venus having cumin and i didnt like the perfume much though) but i am told toasted they small like chestnuts, "fog", sea notes, bergamont.

Sounds like a recipe for BO, but might end up being something interesting. I'd like something with these notes.
codexnocturna.blogspot.com

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:54 pm

The Great Astronomer of Babylon?
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

whiskerswhispers
principalities
principalities

Post by whiskerswhispers » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 pm

I know it won't happen this year but if there is a Night Sky sequel, here's what I'd love to see:
-Bootes: since that's the constellation of the cattle herder, this should definitely be a cowboy scent! Tumbleweed, dust, and leather saddles and boot-es ;)
-Sirius: something sparkling, bright white and hot, with a hint of Egyptian incense/Nile water
-Algol: the demon star! Something green, slithery and snaky for the head of Medusa
-Ursa Major: furry and foresty with hints of berries and honey
-Canis Minor: a 'cute fuzzy puppy' kind of scent
-Southern Cross: with oils found in the lands of the southern hemisphere
-Regulus: a regal scent with savannah grasses to represent Leo the lion
-Antares: blood orange with a sting of poisonous berries for Scorpio
-Orion's Belt: Orion's spiced vanilla oude with leather

I'm sure I can think of more...but that's it for now!

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am

How about song birds? I was just thinking this as I watched them at my feeder.

Wren
Crow
Bluejay
Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Cardinal
Red Winged Blackbird
Dove
And even the Sharp Shinned Hawk who likes to hunt doves in my yard. :grin:

Anoxia
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Anoxia » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:54 pm

I just got the weirdest drink at the hispanic market. A thick puddingy hot drink called atole. Burned my mouth a bit. I had seen it available in coconut, strawberry, and chocolate, but imagine my suprise when I started to drink it and the flavor was cinnamon and CORN! You would have expected something unappetizing, but I quite enjoyed my drink. It even had little corn niblets in it (reminding me of boba tea) and a gigantic floating cinnamon stick that looked more like a hunk of tree bark than cinnamon sticks usually do. So anyways, you never know what will work, and if Fabienne ever felt like combining corn and cinnamon, I wouldn't question her judgement.
“My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.” ~ Rumi

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:09 pm

The Woman Behind the Man Collection. Great men have always been celebrated in the media but rarely is credit given to the women who stand with them or raise them. It would be nice to see a scent named after someone like Ethel Kennedy who was instrumental in getting the women's vote for Bobby. There are so many great women (past & present) in the world who should be recognized and I think a fragrance in their name makes the perfect statement.