Introduce Yourself, We Would Love To Meet You

Want to talk about just about anything? Start a topic here.

Moderator: Maya

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

No, but that should be a topic explored soon! Thank you for introducing yourself. Great to have you here. I am also a gardener and was a rosarian (before I started Possets). My favorite rose is Marie Pavey which is a little old (1888) polyantha and it's not famous but I think it's the best and most beautiful fragrance from a rose ever! Welcome!
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
stephgem77
a spark
a spark

Post by stephgem77 »

I Do that know that rose, as my very good friend has and loves that rose as well. The smell is devine.....
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Oh! What a treat! We had it when I was a child and didn't know what it was for the longest time.
tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne »

Welcome Stephgem77 :) Ah the roses, how they feed the part of the soul that longs for beauty. I'm torn between favoring the old bourbon rose Variegata di Bologna which really has a candycane look to it (pictured here at):
http://www.rosegathering.com/variegata.html

and the classic Damask rose Madame Hardy:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/plant-det ... amask-rose

Both so lovely! As for the perfume terms you're wondering about, they are easy enough to explain. In the most general way, foody is something that smells so good in a food-type way that you could nearly lick your arm from how good it smells :) Please don't of course, lol! But Possets are famous for being fabulously gourmand scents. I would highly recommend Gingerbread Whorehouse for this time of year and don't let the name scare you, hehe. It's a yummy and sexy gingerbread scent that's pretty famous in its own right. Another delicious scent people are crazy about is Madame X, or the lighter Scent of Angels might be right up your alley. Madame X has more "throw" and by that I mean it can be smelled farther away from your body so that when you pass someone they will be able to smell it on you. Scent of Angels has less throw, so it stays closer to your body. Hope that helps!
Rakshasa
a spark
a spark

Post by Rakshasa »

Hello and thanks for having me. I discovered Possets for Christmas (two days late for 2 3 4, curses!) but before they go away I am definitely ordering at least one of the Yules. I'm curious though - are the bigger bottles (10ML) taller, or wider? The current perfume bottles I have now are just over two inches tall and if I were to order a bigger bottle of something, I want to make sure they'll still fit into the box I have. And do the bigger bottles have the same artwork?

Oh - and do the Retour OARs still benefit the Ohio Alleycat Resource?
stephgem77
a spark
a spark

Post by stephgem77 »

thank you for you wonderful explanations Tarayvonne. It is so amazing how addicting reading about the perfumes can be. I think my hubby thinks i am crazy, but I am having a blast. I could just kick myself for not ordering st fabienne in the retour. I just read how much like roses it smells... One more questin what is cloying?
morningglory
principalities
principalities

Post by morningglory »

cloying is overly sweet in a way that's off-putting.
Jenesis

Post by Jenesis »

Hello, my name is Jen of London and I am a relapsed Smellaholic!

I'd like to think that some of you may remember me but that would be narcissistic of me, haha. I've been out of the perfume scene for 18 months or so due to graduating, moving to my own place and a new job and so on, and also plain old nose-fatigue. I used to be very active on the BPAL.org forum. At one point I had well over 50 bottles of BPAL and Possets, more than I could ever wear and a lot of which all smelled remarkably alike, so I sold most of it, keeping back just a few longtime favourites. Then Fabien coaxed me back into Possets with the description of Longest Night, and here I am :)

My staples are March Hare (apricot/clove) and Geek (leather/opopanax) from BPAL, and Strawberry Heart and Scent of Angels from here. I also have a couple such as Schroedinger's Cat (BPAL - lemon sherbert), Celadon Green and Ghost Fart which I wear in the summer, and for wintery scents I liked Samhain (another BPAL).

Don't ask me why, but flowers, especially heavier ones like lily and gardenia, amp up into a nauseatingly strong "soapy" smell on my skin, so if there are any flowers in my scents they have to be the merest glimmer in the background. While this means I can't enjoy the famous floral scents like St. Fabian, the upshot is that spicy, foody scents have become my forte and Possets is brilliant for those!

As I haven't been on the scene for so long I've placed a few orders based on the descriptions (Fabien must be sick of seeing my email address in the FROM: field) and I've tried to guess what I'd like based on my existing scents, and I've also added a few that I'd like to experiment with, since my skin chemistry seems to have changed a bit.

My pending Possets are Scented Gloves, Longest Night, Elegant, Cri de Coeur, High Tea, Melanie, Isabella, Ghost, Black Hole, Collette and Liquid Music. (These last three, I must confess, I bought mainly out of curiosity and attachment to the names and pictures, as I did Astrophysics at University, I used to own a cat called Collette and I play the viola.) I tried to pick a mix of stuff I probably will like, like Cri de Coeur, and a few experiments such as High Tea and Ghost.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I can't wait to get and try out all my incoming smellies and I look forward to seeing you all around the forums.

Toodle pip,
J xxx
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Rakshasa- Sorry it took me so long to respond to you . First, the Retour OAR scents still DO benefit the OAR kitties. Yes yes yesh. Second, the 10ml bottles are taller and about as wide. They have the same artwork and same label. And welcome to all the new and returning Possetiers! Glad to have you hear. Please don't think that the end of the Yules is the end of fun because there is a heap more goodies to go for winter. We have to keep things interesting even after the Yuletide! How else can you make it through the winter?:snow:
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

Hello all! I am brand spanking new to the world of blended oil perfumes. I can't believe it took me so long to get here, as I have long been fascinated by fragrances. Every once in a while, I would go through the whole Bath and Body Works line, or experiment with fine fragrances at Macy's, but overall, alcohol-based scents are too sharp for me, and the cheap stuff at BBW is, well, cheap. (There's a couple of theirs that I love, though, especially their LE Apple Wreath.) From time to time I would order from the random Etsy seller, but those experiments never seemed to end well, and then I caught wind that some Etsy sellers aren't exactly forthcoming about the origins of their line.

So only a month ago, a friend pointed me in the direction of BPAL, Possets, and Haus of Gloi, and I'm in heaven. We are lucky in Seattle, we have a shop called "knows Perfume" that stocks a lot of BPAL, which is dead cheap compared to the rest of the scents they carry (I try to stay away from the rest of their brands--I can't justify spending more than $100 on a single fragrance!) and trying them out in person is really useful, as the things that I think I am going to like by their descriptions don't often work out IRL. Plus, I'm finding out with each oil that first impressions don't necessarily tell me much! I've braved putting on a few scents that I didn't think I would like, only to have them mellow out with my skin chemistry and become very different.

These explorations are so much fun. I have a handful of poppets coming my way via various sources--including a couple intriguing LE decants that I am hoping come before the Retour is done! I'm on this board mainly to see how people describe their favorites, to get a better sense of what I might like. So you'll see me pop in here and there. Other than fragrances, I dabble in drawing, making 3D collage art, hoop dancing, cooking, exploring, and reading. Lovely to meet you all!

:1shimmykitty: