How this Forum is Changing for the Better...

How to keep in good with the management.

Moderator: Maya

fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

I have learned a bit about Vanilla in the last few days, and one of these things is how to put extensions to work. I just put in a feature which shows you the latest topics on the left hand side, and also one that allows you to use HTML in your messages. Just think, no balky BB Code anymore! Hey! More will be coming up to make this a more comfortable place, so stay tuned to this discussion. I will post what I did when I do it so you can try it out.
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Well, I just installed a boatload of extensions for this forum. Wheeee! If you want to see what they are, look to the column on the left and click the link to "Installed Bling". That will tell you what you can now do and not do. There isn't a PM feature on this type of board, but there is something called "Whispers" where you whisper something to another member. It is actually a sort of PM feature. You are the only on who can see what was whispered to you, and it does stay on the discussion where it was whispered. Interesting feature which is going to be turned on today.

There will be more things which will make our lives that much more easy, so stay tuned and click on the "Installed Bling" link every once in a while to see what's new.

BTW, the "Notification" area to the left e-mails you when something is posted to this forum. You can subscribe or unsubscribe as you like.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Now you should be able to whisper to each other. It is really like PMing each other but it's called Whispers. I think it's neat. Pssst!
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

We now have a much niftier editor for Possets' comments.
Yes, we can play with the way our comments look: the color, boldness and the like. You can add images more easily than you could in the past, have quite a large array of smilies, make lists up, indent text, embed links (for those of you who do not just love coding to pieces. In short, there is a bunch of stuff you can do now that you couldn't do to conveniently before.

So, look around and try them out. You can't break it.

One word of caution: Your results will vary between Internet Explorer and Firefox, to say the least. What you see in the composing window may not be what you get when you load it up for all to see. However, the differences will be minimal.

Here is an example of the Madame X icon with a thick black border, wrap around text, and a big margin to the left and right of it. I don't think it looks that way in Firefox, though.

www.possets.com
The above is an example of a link that you can use.

Smilie!

And, if you are real clever, you can insert a YouTube or Google video by using the clapboard symbol at the end of the array at the top of this form.

If you are a real nerd, you can use the button at the very beginning and code your entire message, that gives you ultimate control.

So, play around and have fun. I think that a lot of these features are really helpful.

Smoochies-
Fabienne
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

I just got through installing a massive number of extensions which will allow you to do things that were not available before on this forum. Here are some of the highlights:

Private Messaging-Whispers are great, they are a bit like IM but this is a regular PM function. The author admits there are a few bugs, but it is the best available for now and I am sure the author will fix any problems that come up. Here is what he says about it: Users may send private Messages to other users on their accounts page.
Incoming messages are displayed on the Account Personal Information Identity page Here is how you send a message to someone else: you simply go to the membership list, click on the person's name, go to their personal information page and there will be a box where you can send them a little message. Eureka!
Comments-If someone is getting on your nerves and you just want them to go away for a while, you can block their comments. You can only block them for yourself, not others. This is like the Ignore function in other forums. I am not going to consider Ignore to be a blot on your record, sometimes you just have to clock out of a line of discussion and let your friends cool down.
Participated Threads-You should now be able to see a list of threads you commented in.

Comment Removal-You can remove any comment you make.

Permalinks-You can direct other people to a comment with a Permalink.

Category Filter-Strain out categories you are not interested in.

GoBack-Arggh, there are times when you write a perfectly magnificent comment and hit the GoBack button instead of Post. Your comment is erased. This function makes you confirm that you really want to go back without sending your comment. This should save some grief to all.

Poll-What it says. What do YOU think? Now you can run polls on everything

Whisper Note-When someone whispers something to you, you get a notice to check it and where it is.

Vanilla Icons-I am trying to install a huge number of Icons which are TAROT CARDS! Now you can tell us all exactly how you feel. Once you decipher the names of the cards, you will be in business.

Explore and have fun! More later. Fondly, Fabienne

Please note, this does not mean that I know how to use all of these functions! I'm still learning too. But...I will tell you all as soon as I find something particularly strange out.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

As I type this I am uploading and entire deck of tarot cards which you can insert as smilies! You can really let the world know how you feel at any time. Try them out and have fun. I have been working on this one for quite a while.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

:maj10s:As I mentioned before, I had to choose between the new snazzy editor and the smilies and a plainer editor for our messages. I am trying out the plain editor with smilies (including new Tarot smilies), and running a poll to see what you think. If you want the old editor back, with it's ease of coding, or if the new smilies are so good you would rather have them. Please vote your consience (ha ha ha). But do let me know.

:maj19s:I hope you noticed the Possetsgirl in the upper left hand corner of our new header, with Possets burgundy text.

:sqns:After an almost comic amount of trial and error, I have finally gotten an entire deck of tarot cards loaded in the smilies area, and you can play with them. Just choose "tarot" from the dropdown menu below and click on the ones you want in your message.

:c10s:I also changed some colors on tabs and the like, backgrounds on new comments, and the header is bigger and in "Possets Burgundy" and Palatino Linotype (which I think is a real nice popular font).

:c2s::c3s:
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

This is a test of the new discussion color to show that something has been said.
puck_nc
principalities
principalities

Post by puck_nc »

Something that I think would be helpful (unless I'm just being blind as a bat and totally missed it)...a link back to the Possets homepage! Somewhere in the menu or even clicking on the lounging Possets girl in the corner...
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

You are right. I have not had the time to fiddle with it, but I did notice that and will fix it when I have a moment.