Angelic Host (9th)-Seraphim (Yule 2010)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Anna D.
primordial
primordial

Post by Anna D. » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:15 pm

This is lovely! (I am so pleased with my Possets Yules this year, which is especially lovely because I struck out in almost everything I tried from BPAL.) There is quite a lot of buttery vanilla in this, but the amber melds with it beautifully so it's not JUST buttery sweetness - there's a bit more depth and almost spice. I know Fabienne did a vanilla/amber scent earlier (one of the kitties?), which I never got to try, so I can't compare the two. Like Ornament, it's foody but not overwhelmingly/exclusively foody. It's warm and sweet and I definitely see myself wearing this a lot.

critterfriend
archangel
archangel

Post by critterfriend » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:23 am

Description from the Possets website: "Simple and beautiful, elemental and hypnotic. These are sweet but at the same time blended together they become a third type of wonderful harmonious blend which is at once grand and then again something to fall instantly in love with. The six winged Seraphim are the highest order of angel, in some ways austere and then again they anticipate desires. Five vanillas (most of them fat and buttery vanillas cut with lean and sharp vanillas) and are blended with six different ambers which give the hypnotic part to the whole. "

(I'll preface by saying that I'm new to perfumes, & to reviewing them. My nose isn't very discerning of individual notes, & I seem to have a skin chemistry which isn't very cooperative with certain things (any type of milk almost always turns to sharp powder on me, & vanilla musk tends to go powdery on me, too), & which turns many blends into something that doesn't resemble anything like the notes listed. *sigh* I also have sinus/allergy issues that interfere with my enjoyment of some blends (many florals & berries/red fruits give me an instant headache, & some of the sweeter/buttery scents will make me queasy). Hopefully, though, people with similar issues might be able to find my reviews helpful. Now, on to my review...)

Origin: ordered from Possets

Date Purchased: Dec 2010

Wet: strong, sharp amber with a hint of vanilla

Drydown: amber & sweet vanilla

Later: same as drydown stage

Thoughts: This is a very nice amber blend, very warm, & I love how the vanilla adds a sweetness to the whole. Seraphim has a moderate throw & good staying power on me.

ETA Update: I no longer detect any sharpness to the amber in the wet stage -- this scent is now a very warm, smooth, sweet mix of amber & vanilla all the way through. Yum!! :-D

nissie
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by nissie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:14 pm

I've only worn this twice yet, but this scent is lovely.

It feels like the amber from Huile of Fortune (which always makes me go 'is that vetiver?'), mixed with the honey part from Sex Juice (so all the lovely sweetness without that earthy, beet-like scent). Sex Juice is one of my favs, but sometimes the earth in it reminds me so much of beets I can't smell anything else anymore. Seraphim is a lovely alternative in that case :)

I wonder if I'm the only one reminded more of the 'honey' part of Sex Juice than of the usual vanilla? Maybe my nose is just on the fritz...

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 am

This smells like Flossing to me... a lot. They must share a strong vanilla - one that is almost lemony in scent. This is layered over rich rich vanilla extract and glossy light amber, so it's a richer deeper Flossing. This is not a spicy/earthy amber, but a translucent amber, like in Huile Of Fortune. Lasts a long time on me.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

cuervosueno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by cuervosueno » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 pm

I love this!:Smitten_emoticon: It is really gorgeous! Starts out with warm, buttery vanillas, and just when I thought, hmm..it's going to be all foody on me, the amber comes in. I agree with gypsyjolie: this is a golden, translucent amber, not the earthy kind, and I prefer that, so I'm happy. the amber gives the vanilla some sophistication.

I do see the comparison to the honey in sex juice....I kept thinking this reminded me of something, and I think that is it. It could be Flossing too--could be a similar vanilla, except on me flossing is much stronger on gingery/lemony note that I don't get nearly as much in this. This doesn't remind me of sex juice at all, except for the very final after effects of wearing sex juice....like I wake up in the morning after having put it on at night and have just a hint of scent--well, this reminds me of that note.

I think this is great...a really intriguing balance between gourmand and amber.

Aevalin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Aevalin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:08 pm

This is just beautiful! Amber and I have a love hate relationship and while I adore vanilla I was worried the amber was going to be a deal breaker for me. I am so glad I tried it - this is just beautiful. I get a hint of vanilla but then this warm, glowy, just awesome scent shines through. It's drying down as I type and it just seems to be getting better. I find it's got moderate throw which is nice because this one is meant to be closer to the skin :)

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:59 am

This one is hard for me to pin down as far as how to describe it. It has a candy-like thing about it-sweet and vanilla-ish. And then it finishes with the soft, powdery amber. At first I dismissed it as just ok. It certainly wasn't strong or had any throw which is not good for me. But I found I was compelled to try it again and again as it faded on me. That's pretty much how my days have went since I got my last (temporarily lost) yule order. I got my order a day before retour ended (sad because it made me not want to order much from retour since I had just gotten my yules after so long)
Anyways, I've reapplied this over and over again while poor Dominions sets there undabbled. This certainly reminds me of something heavenly. I can't stop putting it on and wanting more when it fades away. I think the name is very fitting. This is a comfort scent, as warm and snuggly as your favorite blanket and it holds you just as close.

Tanjiro
a spark
a spark

Post by Tanjiro » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 pm

Mmm, this is my new go-to fragrance when I want to feel happy. The vanillas are sweet and delicious, but instead of being a strictly vanilla fragrance, they are balanced perfectly by the ambers. Its like the two groups of scents get together to make a fluffy new scent. Over time, the ambers never take over total control, they continue to meld with the vanillas producing a lovely cloud-like throw. Usually I rotate through my Possets, but I keep reaching for this bottle again and again.

Nora_Seagrave

Post by Nora_Seagrave » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for this one. I hope I'm posting on the right page.

I wore this for the first time yesterday, and I was overwhelmed with joy. I knew I would probably like a perfume with these notes--I've tested Bath and Body Works' "Sensual Amber" and "L" by Lolita Lempicka--but this is so much better than both. It's richer and sweeter, and I don't have to wait for any other notes to get out of the way before I get to the good stuff.

This is golden sweetness, like honey and cinnamon and vanilla, gourmand but not exactly foody, because it doesn't smell like any specific food. I practically see translucent gold when I smell it. I'd wear it every day for the rest of my life, but I don't want my nose to get desensitized to it! So I'll keep it for the fanciest occasions, the happiest stay home and snuggle evenings, and any time that I want to pretend I'm an angel. O:)

Christine Daae
mortal
mortal

Post by Christine Daae » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 am

This is a somewhat random, but is the amber in Seraphim anything like the amber in Gabby (one of the OAR kitties)? I've been wearing Gabby nonstop lately and wish I'd bought a backup bottle when I'd had the chance!!