Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Post by gypsyjolie »

Something to tickle your nose and drive you wild. This one is pretty dry but sparkling, very high-key bright crystalline musk combined with a more emollient backup musk, a good spritz of sandalwood, and a small amount of cedar and rosewood. This is very sexy indeed, and grown up. Nothing foody about Fascinator, but it is seductive as it can be. A great novelty for this droopy time of the year.

wet: nose-tickling indeed - ACHEW!! This is making me sneeze. A bright dry musk and some cedar.

drying: This is a "higher pitched" scent than I normally wear but the cedar (not the wood, the green resiny leaves) is really refreshing and cooling. It's a lovely room scent - lots of throw. The sandalwood comes out as it dries down and the topnotes burn off a bit. The rosewood is just a touch, and gives the scent a bit of woodiness and something warmer, almost berry-ish deep at the bottom of the overall scent.

full drydown: This is reminiscent of The Star with cedar instead of mint, and it is equally as cooling but I think I like this even better as it is sweeter and muskier (so it sticks around longer). It is very airy and clean and foresty, like clean mountain air. Great room scent for stuffy hot days and it is good for concentration and focus at work.

I suspect this would be nice on a guy too, especially an outdoorsy one.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
simonetta.vespucci
archangel
archangel

Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Post by simonetta.vespucci »

it could be that Guy Chemistry could make this one work on a dude, for sure, with the musk/sandalwood/cedar. on me, the rosewood (warm and berryish at its heart is not a bad description at all) as well as the fact that possets musks are beautifully sweet on me, makes it feminine. certainly not girlygirl, though. it smells like a woman executive over 40 who always wears a suit with a skirt and impeccable heels, and never has a bad hair day.

i had to have this one because of the rosewood, and i'm not disappointed. on me it smells like a pale gray/beige? (in a good way) i don't smell much of the cedar except that it's dry and a wood scent.

i am actually thinking of wearing this as part of a character i'm going to play this summer, a nun who says almost nothing at all. this is in the end of july, so i think a full-on incense scent is out because it would make me and my "sisters" pukey under stage lights... the light woods are enough to suggest churchiness, the soft musks enough to remind me that years ago, she was not a nun...
goherd
mortal
mortal

Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Post by goherd »

I love this...it's dry, sillage is wonderful. There is a basic green scent to this, sweetness, but a natural type of outdoorsy smell. It's not overbearing and it's a hidden gem.:1shimmykitty:
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Post by Atropos »

Darn! I need this one too! How much longer will these lovelies stay? I need a bottle and I sent my order in already.:Argh:
wl552
powers
powers

Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Post by wl552 »

I am sooooooooooo happy I got this!! And to think I was afraid of it because of the cedar. I shouldn't have been worried. I'm having a hard time describing this one. It's a beautiful, sweetish musk. Not woody nor overly dry, though crystalline is an apt word. Very pretty, but sophisticated. I'm wishing I would've smelled this before casting my vote for GC. If it doesn't make it, I'm going to have to pick up a backup bottle.
Thaleia
mortal
mortal

Re: Fascinator (Dark Matter)

Post by Thaleia »

For me, this is a really low-key scent, a soft and fresh musk with a greenness in the background. I really have to slather to give it any sort of staying power, but that's fine! I actually had to reapply it so I could complete this review.

The crystalline musk is I've historically been wary of cedar because it turns to pencil shavings on me, but if anything, it serves to ground the overall scent and give it a bit of depth, and isn't particularly noticeable. I get whiffs of sandalwood every so often, which gives a bite to the overall smoothness of the scent. The rosewood gives it a slight woodsy-floral undertone, but for the most part, it's fresh and comforting and wears close to the skin. I can see this as being a good workplace scent since it's so subtle and grown-up, sexy and sophisticated but still meaning Serious Business.
Quod scimus loquimur, quod vidimus testamur
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

Not what I was expecting at all. On me it's a very powdery musk (in the way I don't like), with sweet, almost melon-ish notes in the background. It's dry, definitely, but still way too high and sweet for me. Possibly half skin-chemistry, half I've-never-looked-right-in-a-fascinator-anyway. Off to scrub.
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

I agree with Funkmoppet, this is not at all what I expected from the description and I also get melon not berries. I can pick out the cedar & rosewood during the wet stage but that dissipates quickly. I am left with light musk, citrusy melon, fennel and sandalwood. I could never pull off a fascinator even at Halloween. This would be a decent office scent for a man.
pink.dot
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by pink.dot »

Crystalline musk combined with a more emollient backup musk, a good spritz of sandalwood, and a small amount of cedar and rosewood.

From the poppet this is fresh, musky with a citrus note like bergamot.
When I put it on is like an expensive cologne. I don't get a lot of cedar.
I really like it but the throw is very low on my skin. If it was stronger I would buy a bottle. Musk with hint of citrus. It would be great on a guy!