Terra Nocturna (The Earth At Night)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:37 pm

A very suave blending of violet, vetiver, leather, ozone, pepper, sugar, and a crystal musk to make an outstanding very adult blend. This is a picture of the night, of the chilly dark but yet navy blue spring sky when the owls are out courting, the spring peepers are singing sweetly to each other and you might be able to see a furry bat or two flap by in the nighttime bustle which the awakening earth calls out. A beautiful blend, seductive, multi faceted, worthy to be loved.

wet: violets and pepper and ozone
dry: It sweetens and and smooths out and the leather comes out on my skin. Violets and leather, a touch of sugar and black pepper. Very purple.
full drydown: smooth leather, violets, soft musk, and a tingle of pepper on the edge of the scent. Earthy, sensual, dark, rich. If I didn't know it was violets, I'd have described it as blackberry in there with the leather.

I like this. It's superbly blended, and quite rich with the leather-y base to the scent. I think this could be unisex as well, because it is earthy rather than "floral". It's quite sexy. Not a ton of throw, unfortunately, but I bet this will age deliciously.

(Fabienne is a genius - all the scents I thought I didn't like: vetiver, violets, pepper - and the blend is great!)
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by allegro_barbaro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 am

I just got this yesterday and believe it or not this is the closest it could possibly come to HG for such a fickle fragrance filly like myself. Gorgeous leather and violet along the lines of Jolie Madame with a hint of sweetness. Yum yum YUM
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"

wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:50 am

I put off ordering this for so long because it just didn't sound like something I would like, but I wanted the complete set of Terra scents. Based on the reviews, I thought I might like it, but leather is notorious for going bad on me and vetiver, pepper and ozone make me jumpy.

I shouldn't have worried. TN is so beautiful. The leather is there, but it's not high pitched or in your face. It stays nice and low and lets the other notes share the spotlight. It's a little sexy, very intriguing. I have to say, I'm absolutely delighted with it and glad it's a GC.

Bella2811
primordial
primordial

Post by Bella2811 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:12 am

Beautiful, the name is perfect. The smell of violet meets the smell of leather, very dark and earthy. Love it

ElizabethOSP
mortal
mortal

Post by ElizabethOSP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm a violet slut, and Fabienne does violets really well. This one is a perfect, deep, night-time sort of violet on me. It's very sophisticated and womanly. No note overwhelms any other; everything just *blends.* It's absolutely beautiful!

ChemicalEmma
primordial
primordial

Post by ChemicalEmma » Sat May 05, 2012 1:25 pm

I have a hard time believing this has a leather note in it, because normally leather goes unspeakably vile on me. I blame this unspeakable vileness for the fact that I failed to recognize the leather note as leather the first time I tried it. In my original testing notes, I wrote "something dark and sinister - I love it!" That has never happened to me with leather before. Ever.

Terra Nocturna somehow manages to be light and dark at the same time. I get images of violets in a midnight garden, and of that same garden at false dawn, when the light is just beginning to break in the night sky. It's dark and luminous at the same time, and it's oh so very lovely.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Re: Terra Nocturna (The Earth At Night)

Post by funkmoppet2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:39 pm

Well hellooooo Terra Nocturna. I do love violet, but its tendency to dominate blends makes me less enthusiastic to have more than a couple in my collection. Fabienne weaves some magic here by subduing the violet with pepper, leather and ozone and the result is divine. The sharpness of the other notes counters the violet's sweet edge, and gives an overall earthy quality without using loam notes. Pretty darn cool. The leather is a clean, cool variety and works so very nicely with the vetiver. Despite the darker notes though, this isn't a dark blend, rather cool and contemplative. The musk emerges, as it usually does, on the dry down, and I thank the proverbial lord that I'm not detecting any sugar.

This is just delightful.

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm

I received a poppet on my last Haunting Music order. I'm note sure why I have not purchased this before. Perhaps because I do have a number of violet fragrances and did not think I needed more. I find Terra Nocturna a perfect substitute for when my bottle of Dior Fahrenheit runs out. This is like a cross between Fahrenheit and Thierry Mugler's Garden of Stars - Violette Angel. I have also run out of Violette Angel, so I must thank who ever filled my order for throwing in the poppet. There is a soil note when the scent is wet but it disappears on drydown. I do like the smell of dirt but I do not enjoy it in a fragrance which I wear. There is definitely a bottle purchase of Terra Nocturna in my future.

sakecat22
mortal
mortal

Post by sakecat22 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Violets and fine leather gloves. Slight musky sweetness to add interest. Glad I own a bottle of this.

InThePines
a spark
a spark

Post by InThePines » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:50 pm

I finally ordered a bottle of this after having a Poppet since *cough2012cough*. This reminds me of those Chowards violet candies but this scent isn't powdery at all. It's a great perfume for spring, and I LOVE that it straddles the line between young and girly and slightly edgy and more mature. This is another scent that I feel is safe enough for work, and it makes me happy every time I wear it. The "vetiver, leather, ozone, pepper, sugar, and a crystal musk" keep this from being an overly simple scent so I don't get bored throughout the day.