Great Psychiatrist of Babylon

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I was upset when I opened my decant and I got a whiff of sweet caramel. I am not a lover of foody or sweet and I thought this was going to be no go for me.
It rapidly transforms on my skin from the buttery caramel (which actually is quite light and non-cloying) to incense and smokey vanilla. I think I may have found a vanilla I can wear in bourbon vanilla!!! The incense/smoke is quite prominent on me and tempers any foody sweetness. Big bottle for me for sure!!!! Really beautiful...
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I am with you lulu! I found a vanilla I can wear! Bring on the bourbon vanilla! And It turns all smokey on me. This needs to be permanent! I have had more people compliment me on this scent alone, and I have given out Posset's website with instructions for this oil more than any other, from any company, to date. If this goes away, there are going to be very sad pandas.

I love that I can introduce Possets with this scent. One of us, one of us, they will be, one of us! :-))
Angewl
mortal
mortal

Re: Great Psychiatrist of Babylon

Post by Angewl »

In the bottle I get patchouli and wet on my skin I get patchouli. Why am I getting just patchouli? I don't get any sweet notes at all. Boo patchouli. :(
Edited because I gave it another chance and left it on longer:
Started off with a strong patchouli/booze scent, and stayed the same for most of the scent's lifespan. Only near the end of its existence is when I smelled what I expected the scent to be when I purchased it, which was a slightly boozy vanilla/caramel with incense scent. Oh well, I guess. Maybe it's my nose.. maybe it's my skin chemistry.. but this just didn't work at all for me.
Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse »

Someone earlier mentioned that they thought there might be cedar in this and I have no choice but to agree. I thought I would like this scent, ok not a huge whiskey girl, but not enough to kill the scent. In fact, the only thing I get from this scent is celery. I have come to realize through various BPAL scents (Tree of Life, Changeling, Tombstone, Atlas) that cedar turns into celery on me. I never knew there was a scent that could wipe out patchouli completely, I mean nuclear annihilation, everything gone but the looming celery cloud in the distance. It took me a while to figure out what it was that reacted with me in such away, I just knew the scent was related to my mother's stuffing (for chicken or turkey). I thought it was sage, but then I went through all the ingredients in the stuffing and in the scents, Atlas Cedar you monger of celery hell I found your devious hand behind each destructive act. It doesn't list cedar but I think it's in the fire, I thought this would be a gorgeous boozy caramel heathen love fest, but no. I hope no one else in the world has this infliction of the flesh, but in the unfortunate case there is; you may find this scent brutally bullied by the celery of doom.
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

Smokey boozy vanilla. On me, I don't smell much incense, however the "punk" fire smells a bit like hickory or mesquite. To me this is more of a foody scent than an incense or resin scent. It is more what I expected Abraxas to be like. I would have liked more incense notes but it is very hard not to enjoy this. The scent fades quite quickly and the sillage is soft but I purchased a bottle so I can slather with fervor. Great Psychiatrist of Babylon is not what I expected from the description but I love sweet smoke and I'll be wearing this a lot when autumn rolls around.
Last edited by sillageslut on Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

Definitely boozy bourbon vanilla when wet. The whiskey note is the same that ruined The Queen for me, but it's well behaved here and soon vanishes behind a veil of smoke - and it's the smoke that really lifts this blend from "a fun vanilla" to something worth grabbing a bottle of. The smoke I'm getting from my wrist is wondrous. I was worried I wouldn't smell the incense, but there it is. It's a soft blend, but a thoroughly delightful, warm, sexy one.
anaengel
a spark
a spark

Post by anaengel »

This came as from Fabienne in my last order. I kept reapplying it today. I find that it is a very foodie scent on me. It starts off as a spicy caramel on me. After a while, the spices burn off and I'm left with caramel by itself. As it fades, it just keeps tossing that sugary sweetness out as lightly as possible. I'm not really sure how much I'd want to wear it; maybe try again later.
Well, at least it made the caramel icing seem more like maple that way. :tong:
Maladextrose
primordial
primordial

Post by Maladextrose »

When I first received this, several months ago, it was almost completely unwearable. Sniffed from the bottle I was rather scared by the intense smell of burnt caramel. Wet, it was boozy, smoky, and acrid (it reminded me a lot of burning wood in a bad way) with a hint of sickly vanilla. I liked it better during/after the dry down, but it was still too sharp.

I put this one aside in the hopes that some aging would help because I suspected there was a lot of potential in it. Well, the caramel smell is still there, but less burned and more smoky. Wet, it's still boozy and smoky, but the acrid scent is mostly gone. The vanilla is more pronounced, and it dries down into something I almost like? I feel like I should enjoy smoky scents, but something about my chemistry makes them too pungent. There's a lovely bourbon vanilla going on behind the smoke, but it doesn't quite come together on my skin. Maybe if it was a bit more incense and less pure smoke? Ah well, perhaps I'll try it again in colder weather now that I know what a difference aging made.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Maladextrose wrote:Ah well, perhaps I'll try it again in colder weather now that I know what a difference aging made.
I have found this one to be really good on the first snappish days of fall. Of course, I do like this one anyway, but on those first really brisk days (not too cold. but not warm) it seems to pop for me. I'm wondering if she'll behave the same way for you then too.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
noddygirl1
primordial
primordial

Post by noddygirl1 »

when I first sniffed and put this on it was lovely and foody,then it suddenly transformed into a grassy dry smell. Not for me.