Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: The Mistress of Power

Post by Petticoats » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 am

Maya wrote:
Petticoats wrote:This fragrance is so amazing that I registered for the forum just so I can rave about it. :-) I'm new to Possets, but definitely a fan now! I didn't request Mistress of Power in my original order of samples, probably because the description includes patchouli--something I usually have an aversion to--and I'm so glad Fabienne added a free sample of it to my order!!
Welcome! Fabienne is known for slipping us samples that win us over to things we'd never expect to love. (We suspect she's slightly psychic, but shhhh you didn't hear that from me. :wink: )
Thank you for the welcome, Maya! It does seem like Fabienne has an uncanny ability to know what I'll love. It's a great gift!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:57 am

Welcome, Petticoats!
Mistress of Power is one of my (many) favorites. If you are raving over this one, I'm pretty sure you will find a lot to love around here!
Oh, and the other thing you may find is that Fabienne is pretty good at having people rethink notes they previously might not have been too fond of -- patchouli, for instance. :wink:
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:49 am

Thank you for the welcome, Boudicca! (Love your name, too.) I confidently expect to fall in love with many of Fabienne's fragrances! I ordered FBs of Mistress of Power (I may also need a backup, lol), Shah Jahan & Mumtaz Mahal, and Madame X, along with another slew of samples... and I've been making a list of still more samples to order. :D Reading through this section of the forum has been really helpful in as I determine what I want to try.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:25 pm

(This is just the scene that the scent played out in my head as it evolved so it's not a traditional review and it might be a little creepy to some, it was to me but I felt I should share, in case someone else like me has this reaction) The Mistress of Power is a very sexy, ambitious, and conniving Raquel Welsh circa 1967 in San Tropez. She has just come from a very compromising audition she undertook for a new part in a Roman Polanski film. He had just got off the plane, the patchouli and incense still fresh in his clothes from the hedonist LA soiree he had left. He meets up with Raquel the faint whispers of the previous night chypre still lingers in the background with the poof of musk she spritzed on her way out the door to the meeting. The scent of their unholy union is mixed in the melange of their perfume and power; leaving Raquel afterward with nothing to do but slather herself in her best Bain de Soleil tanning oil and preen to the pool. I personally hope that she is laying in the sun using the magnifying powers of the cocoa butter oil to sterilize and irradiate with UV rays any possible "ick" factors she may have picked up in her tryst, but she seems to be smiling smuggly so probably not. It was not at all the Mistress I had been expecting, but it is possible the handle of a whip was used, I tried to close my eyes when they were in flagrante, but I did get a hint of leather. I am guessing the mix of the chocolate and patchouli are what is translating as suntan oil, but maybe there is a hidden coconut musk in there somewhere. I did wear it for a few hours (even though I did have an overwhelming desire to shower and gouge out my eyes) and after about an hour I was left with a scent reminiscent of black coconut oil mixed with opium incense. The patchouli was more earthy in the beginning, but by the end it was almost completely lost; only evident in giving the coconut a husk. If I had been a child coming of age in the 70's rather than a child created in the 70's I think it would make me wax nostalgic. I am well aware of the link between sex and power and certainly this scent immediately brought sex to mind. It was unfortunately more like walking in on your parents having sex for me than walking like panther on the prowl. For the BPAL cross wearers this is similar to Black Temple Burlesque Troupe so if you missed out on that this is a more saucy, bawdy, bollywood burlesque troupe to test out.

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Now this is a resin scent. I've been finding a lot of Posset's with resins/incense notes listed are quite lite on the resin end. This is definitely in my realm. The chocolate/caramel note fades but it's lovely while it lasts. It becomes more of a honeyed resin. The combination of this aged patchouli and clove comes across as a leather like accord. This is like a stronger version of Bpal's Paduan Killer Swarm for those out there needing some. This is not only stronger but longer lasting and greater sillage (throw) also it's regular catalog & cheaper. I'm glad I purchased a bottle. I've been trying to purchase more Posset's because I find the price, shipping costs (especially to Canada) and customer service better than Bpal. There are some Bpal's I won't give up but I am loving my Posset's. I'm looking forward to more resin/incense scents making the regular catalog list.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:36 am

I love patchouli. I love black headshop patch, patchouli leaf, and I could pretty much spray my entire house with a good patchouli EO, it's one of my favourite smells in the world. But I think aged patchouli needs to officially go onto my nemesis list. No matter how many times I try, any blend from any indy oil company that has aged patch in it doesn't quite work for me somehow. MoP has a sweet, sticky intro that is just dominated by what aged patch always does on my skin: smell sickly sweet in a cloying potpourri-ish way. There IS something great going on in this blend, but like a party I'm not invited to, all I can do is live vicariously through reports from people who made the door list.

On me, this is unremarkable, and at times just plain unpleasant. A sad scrubber despite it sounding so very good (and very "me"!)on paper. I finally know to avoid aged patch - live and learn!

stellamaris
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by stellamaris » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:38 am

So. I'll have to go research the notes on this one, but seemingly to me, like Howl, this is quite sweet and cakey. The Mistress of Power is an excellent cupcake. Works for me.
and also like Howl, the dry down is so very nice. Rich, mouthwatering. Very deep dark and dreamy.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Bea33
a spark
a spark

Post by Bea33 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:22 pm

I LOVE this one! To me it's not so much powerful as hypnotic, sweet and musky with a bit of soft patchouli and coconut. It reminds me of BPAL Snake Charmer, which is a favorite of mine, too. I might even like this one better, though, and hubby chimed in that it was goooooood as well. :grin: