Heka (Magic)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Heka (Magic)

Post by Maya » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:00 am

Possets description: "Though the Egyptians didn't have pumpkins as we know them, they probably had gourds, the other members of the pumpkins' family. This perfume starts out with a gourd accord (!) and slides into a fine brew of lavender, oakmoss, and thyme which are twined around a resinous ambery heart. Magical and unexpected.Pretty surprising pairing of different fragrances to make a very solid and beautiful new one."

I admit it, I can never have too many pumpkin/gourd scents, so this was a no-brainer for me to grab.

In the bottle: Wow. This has the gourmand edge that the gingerbreads have, but there's a prettiness to it--a softer elegance--than I was expecting. I get a note that comes across as pumpkin rind, not flesh, a smidge of the oakmoss (which is absolutely gorgeous with this), and a merging of the other notes in such a way that I can't really pick them out except for what seems like a sweet amber.

On my skin: Mmmmmm. Deep, resinousy (maybe that's the amber and not a sweetness I mentioned above?), with perfect spice notes. Under it all, I'm getting a lavendery note and a beautiful sweetness without being sugary. There's an element to this that reminds me of the dark deep notes in Morgan La Fey, but riding through it is a beautiful lighter perfume with a sweeter heart. If these notes hold, this will be one (if not the) of my favorite pumpkiny/fall scents. I really do like the sweet pumpkin scents, but those are my "fun" and "playful" scents. This is deep and rich and gorgeous. This is the dark spiciness of Evil Eye but translated to gourds with sweetness and a much more beautiful edge.

In short, this one is simply gorgeous. Deep, rich, and solidly beautiful. Wow.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heka (Magic)

Post by Maya » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:51 pm

I wanted to add, now that this has had over 5 hours on my skin, that as it got down to the bare bones of drydown the spices in this reminded me somewhat of Over The Rhine with a touch more sweetness. I have really enjoyed this one, and although I lean toward these kinds of scents (so I am a tad more biased when it comes to doing a review), I think this one will be a staple for my autumn perfume collection. Even though it has gourmand notes, and reminded me somewhat of the Gingerbreads, the other notes in this one keep it from being over-the-top foody and trend it more along the lines of a delightfully grown up perfume with a gourmand edge. The dry down on this one is lovely.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Wet on my skin this is very gourd-y! Within just a few moments though, I can smell the thyme and a hint of lavender and oakmoss. Perhaps 15-20 minutes in the sweet, gorgeous amber rises from the bottom. The gourd accord leaves a hint of a gourmand feel to this (as Maya mentioned), but on the long dry down this is a beautiful amber with the very soft remnants of oakmoss and lavender. This really is magical, and not at all a typical sort of "gourd" (ie pumpkin) scent. Typical gourd scents tend to be waaaay too over the top foodie for my tastes, and I find this scent to be a beautiful departure from that! Really, really lovely!

amberosmanthus
archangel
archangel

Post by amberosmanthus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:28 pm

I haven't received my decants yet, but this is one I've been really looking forward to for some reason. After hearing your reviews, now I know why! Oooo, now I really can't wait.
:s:

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:34 pm

amberosmanthus wrote:I haven't received my decants yet, but this is one I've been really looking forward to for some reason. After hearing your reviews, now I know why! Oooo, now I really can't wait.
:s:
I hope you like it! I think it's fantastic!

tarayvonne
virtues
virtues

Post by tarayvonne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:12 am

Heka, Heka...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways-let's just cut to the chase and say a billion ways :e:
This is so flipping fabulous after it's on my skin for a few minutes, it just blooms and improves and lasts for quite awhile. Yay! It really captures fall for me, and would be wonderful during the holidays in the same vein as the Gingerbreads but less foodie if that makes any sense. This is my new fall favorite hands down. Spicy, warm, with the "gourd" accord instead of straight up pumpkin which was a brilliant new idea (thank you Fabienne, you rock). It's different and familiar, sexy yet comforting. Really a juxtaposition of things that make for a really great perfume. It makes me think of a sexy mama in heels working the kitchen like a seasoned pro with one of those lovely gourd centerpieces in the middle of that perfectly set holiday table :) The kind with fine china, lit candles, and magnificent homemade pies. Well done :coffeeduo:

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:33 pm

wet: A warm solid, lovely lightly spicy scent. The gourd accord is not identifiable as such to me, but it is sort of pumpkin-esque, gourmand and vaguely fruit-ish. It's very autumnal due to the spices at first - like a wonderful spice potpourri or the filling of pumpkin pie (no buttery crust).

drying on skin: The amber rises up and this gets less gourmand. It's warm and lightly spicy (clove and nutmeg), with the sweet, smooth amber base. I can get the bit of oakmoss. This is quite sexy.

Full drydown: after 15 minutes, this is amazing! The spices are light and airy, like the smoky clove in Gypsy Grave. The base of gourd and amber is heavy and rich. I can get only a bit of lavender and oakmoss, but they are blended beautifully and make the scent far more complex and interesting than the Gingerbreads, despite the relationship due to the spices. I would not have thought those scents would work together, but they do in a wonderful way. This is warm, spicy (mostly clove to me), amber-y scent with the genteel oakmoss smelling like dry leaves and autumn. This is a unisex perfume, rich and lovely. One of the best of Fabienne's treasures!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Oh my goodness. This is looooovely ~
Upon initial application, gourd accord. Ah! So wonderful. It's so close to pumpkin but there's just something different about it.
A few moments later though, the gourd goes away and spices bloom on my arm. It still smells great but I'm waiting for the gourd to come back. XD I can detect the lavender/thyme/oakmoss essence, but it's just barely there. I feel like it rounds it out.
I really adore this one.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Heka really is magic. In the bottle and wet on my skin, the gourd note combines with the spices to make an unusual, un-sweet gourmand note, which disappoints my sweet tooth. But once I put it on and it warms up and dries down, my goodness, it's gorgeous! The lavender comes gently forth, and the whole fragrance transforms into something spicy, sexy, a little bit perfumy, and wholly unlike any other fragrance I've worn--completely beautiful.

This will warm up fall and winter days, but it's too seductive and delicous not to enjoy all year round. It absolutely rocks my world. :heartrain:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:02 am

Two things about Heka scared me, gourd & lavender. I have a couple pumpkin scents which I wear in the fall & winter but I'm not over the moon for pumpkin like some people. The lavender is barely there, but adds to the whole. Heka is more resinous than foody to me. It was a freebie with my very first order and a bottle on my second order. Heka is resinous, woody, spicy and foody. This is definitely in my top ten. It has great sillage and is very long lasting.