Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal

Post by Boudicca »

Possets description:
As close to divinity and you can get, as close to perfect mortal love as possible. Rare Bulgarian Zdravetz combined with ylang ylang and a smoothing of rare and perfect red musk. A strong suggestion of patchouli of the finest aged variety, finished off with a kiss of oude infused lips, and a dollop of real Tahitian vanilla bean aged infusion and I can think of no other perfume which so closely resembles that love of loves which Shah Jahan held for his beloved Mumtaz. Today you can see the rendering of a devotion in marble as the Taj Mahal, in life they loved so passionately that she died giving birth to their 16th child. A strong and sexual blend, oriental in the most classic sense.

The first word that comes to mind is "heady". Straight out of the bottle, I'm thinking "Whoa!" It's almost too much. Then it starts calming down. I get the ylang ylang and the red musk, together with the patchouli they make me think of this ylang ylang incense that I have, but nicer. So, to me it's "incensey" but it's not like the incense in Black River or Joan of Arc. The vanilla is underneath and takes a while to come out. I have no idea what Zdravetz smells like, I don't think I can even pronounce it. I did look it up, it's in the geranium family and is said to be an aphrodisiac. This is very exotic smelling, sexy, intense.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
hill78
principalities
principalities

Re: Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal

Post by hill78 »

At first, a LOT of Ylang Ylang and a sharp-ish edge that I associate with Zdravetz (geranium). I can pick up the red musk here as well, and I can certainly see the incense association. The vanilla I think is sweetening the blend and smoothing the edges. Still a very heady blend, and very sexy. The Ylang Ylang is lovely and pairs very well with the red musk.
sthenno
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by sthenno »

Right away, I get overwhelming vanilla extract smell from the wet oil. Makes me a little ill :/

As it dries down, the ylang-ylang emerges but the patchouli-vanilla combination is not my thing. I can't really figure out what the zdravetz smells like.

Too cloyingly sweet and musky for my tastes but I gave it a try!
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

wet: Yeah, the ylang-ylang and the vanilla are really cloying and strong right out of the bottle.

drying: The geranium I get once the vanilla dies back a bit, and the incense as a light airy smoky aspect. It's not sharp or churchy incense, softer, airier, sexier. This is still very heady and cloying even as I get more players in the scent. LOTS of warm heavy vanilla and ylang-ylang.

full drydown: Ultra-feminine and heady sweet floral. Could be sexy, could just cause headaches. Femme Fatale va-va-voom territory. The patchouli is very light and adds a bit of woodiness to this scent. The incense is pretty and airy. The red musk is just a hint, adding to the sexy. The ylang-ylang and heavy sweet vanilla combo stomps all over the rest. Maybe aging will help even it out? It's pretty but not in a closed space. GIANT throw on this one!

ETA: after 45 minutes I can get more of the red musk and patchouli base as the vanilla calms down somewhat. It's quite pretty and the patchouli is so smooth and understated. I suspect this will age really beautifully.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

True, the throw and staying power on this one is not for the faint of heart and church socials. It will age like Sofia Loren. :grin:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
wl552
powers
powers

Post by wl552 »

All I get is pretty much all vanilla, all the time with this one. Although, there's a depth to it that seems to go beyond the vanilla. It very strongly reminds me of one of the Angels, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

This is one of my favs and I voted for it to stay. It's so... so... yummy. I don't know how else to describe it. :grin:
gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie »

I wore this today after letting my decant rest a week and it is better - I went lighter on applicaiton... and I got less floral and more of the oude and patchouli. It's really beautiful. It's still vanilla and musky and heady - sexy not overwhelming. BOTTLE for sure.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

I have been really looking hard at this one. I was a little nervous about the Ylang Ylang and geranium. I tend to amp florals and turn them into horrible creatures of candy, old woman, or baby powder. How does this one do? Anyone else a floraphobe who's tried this :gnome: ?
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Atropos wrote:I have been really looking hard at this one. I was a little nervous about the Ylang Ylang and geranium. I tend to amp florals and turn them into horrible creatures of candy, old woman, or baby powder. How does this one do? Anyone else a floraphobe who's tried this :gnome: ?
I'm not a dominantly floral person. I much prefer the foodies and the resins, and make myself try the flowers so I can say I did so. (I occasionally fall in love with the florals, but that's usually an odd thing lol.) Having said all of that, I do not get much floral from this one.

This is what I said in the Valentine's thread about this one:

In the bottle, it's sweet and resinous with a fruited vibe.

Wet on my skin: Mmmm it's almost brown sugary in sweetness, and I'm getting what I can only think of as perfumed peanuts, with a touch of fruit.

As it dries further: This is much softer than I was expecting. The red musk continues to mess with my head as I try to place it in order with the other elements. I get a very faint whiff of the ylang ylang a touch of the oude, and a faint tiny hint of patchouli. The brown-sugared sweetness has given way to the red musk and vanilla pod.

As it dries more: This is delicate and lovely. When I close my eyes, I see graceful brown-skinned ladies dancing in colorful saris--thin hands moving through the air, bringing their own scent and the softness of extinguished incense to the watcher.

This has an exotic vibe, but there's something about it that feels comforting and familiar as well. I'm glad this one made the permanent cut. It's a good addition. Very pretty and romantic with the slight vibe of patchouli and oude roughing up the edges and making this earthy and sensual, too.

My further notes: This took a few minutes to settle on my skin, but when it did it was much more soft spices/incense with sweetness underneath. I didn't get floral from this one. Of course, I tried mine as soon as it came out of the mail box, but I wouldn't call this one much of a floral and I'd be shocked if it changed so dramatically after resting. Edited to add that for me the ylang ylang became more of a supporting base for the exotic sense of it and was not a dominant note--although at first I definitely did get the ylang ylang--but I still wouldn't call it a floral even with that.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Thanks Maya! I will add this one to my list then. I don't get to post here as much as I would like. But I do love your reviews, so I always look for them. :heartrain: