Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal

Post by Maya »

Atropos wrote:Thanks Maya! I will add this one to my list then. I don't get to post here as much as I would like. But I do love your reviews, so I always look for them. :heartrain:
I hope I don't steer you wrong. Of course, now that it's a permanent, you could get a sample before committing to anything major. *Fingers crossed it's lovely to you.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen »

My perfume-y coworker got this one and brought it in for me to try.

In the bottle, I got caramel, caramel, and caramel. She begged me to do a skin test when I recoiled -- I can't stand foodie scents -- and on on me wet, I got butter and sugar. But pretty quickly, it dried into a sweetish oude -- a 'dry' smell, almost stone-y, with a sweet waft, if that makes sense. I'm not wild about it, but she's complimentary -- it's big and perfume-y, is how she describes it, without it smelling like a perfume. Toes the line of foodie without getting cloying.
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal *Permanent

Post by Floria »

This is a distant relative of BPAL's Snake Oil (red musk, vanilla, incensy notes), but brighter and juicier, without the slight powdery note that SN can sometimes have to my nose - and of course, the ylang ylang shifts the balance of the scent as well, making it sweeter and more top-heavy. The red musk is a sweet and lush one, almost fruity, and a good complement for the vanilla and tropical flowers. This is serious va-va-voom glamor. It also lasts like it was concocted from skunk spray and superglue, although of course it smells far nicer.

Have I mentioned I love ylang ylang? I do, and it's very well used here. Much as I love my big white florals, I think jasmine might have been a bit much in a setup like this, while ylang ylang's a bit lighter and sassier to my nose while still nicely romantic and tropical.
allegro_barbaro
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal *Permanent

Post by allegro_barbaro »

I was trying for ages to pinpoint what this one reminded me of and then I realised, it is like Casmir by Chopard and Marwah by Al Haramain got together and SJMM was the result. A fruity vanilla oriental with an incensy vibe. Very sensual and emotive. I am thinking of mixing some into an unscented lotion because it would meld beautifully with the skin. Dangerous even ;-)
"Look like the innocent flower, but be th' serpent under't"
simonetta_vespucci
mortal
mortal

Post by simonetta_vespucci »

finally getting around to trying this one, thanks to miss fab for sending me a froppet. i don't have a great deal to add to the general consensus - vanilla incense power. not something i would wear day-to-day. but (and yes, i realize i am in the wrong country here) it makes me wanna dust off the hip scarves and bellydance my little heart out.

eta: i had just dabbed this on my wrists to test. went to the gym. OH BABY does this vanilla/oude/musk combo KILL when my skin heats up. *swoons*
Last edited by simonetta_vespucci on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

This was one of my first order of FBs (the others being Madame X and Mistress of Power; it was kind of a musk-themed order!). It is so luscious and manages to be exotic without being overwhelmingly spicy. Some days I like the big spicy fragrances (I know I will end up ordering a FB of Theodora!), but I love how this fragrance is inviting and suggestive instead of dominating and insistent. It's great for days when I want to feel sexy (and, like Simonetta Vespucci, get out my old bellydance gear) but in a quiet, unobtrusive way. It is truly romantic.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut »

This is a lovely incensey oriental vanilla. To me this is a combination of a very good nag champa, oude and vanilla. Nag Champa with class, not dirty hippie, more exotic. This was one of the many free samples I received with my first order. I had almost ordered a bottle but changed my mind because of the zdravetz. I am not a floral fan however there are some florals I enjoy very much but zdravetz I was unsure of. I think they are slightly spicy but not strong in this blend. I must like it because it is the third oil with zdravtz as a note that I really enjoy. It has great staying power and nice sillage, but not too overpowering as long as you don't slather. I must thank whoever filled my order for adding a sample of Shah. The freebies were wonderful, a cross section of blends, some I probably would never think of trying, some that sound quite nice but I skipped over and some I know I would eventually order. I better start saving my money for an even bigger order.
Last edited by sillageslut on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
vatagirl

Post by vatagirl »

This is one of the few Possets I have tested so far, and I'm not sure my review will be much different from what has already been said, but I will post anyway!

My initial thoughts about Shah Jahan and Mumtaz Mahal:

Really nice. At first, it smells almost exactly like the Indian/South Asian stores and markets that I go to. It has this sort of spicy, minty, incensey feel to it. Then it quickly morphs into something with more depth and sweetness. I am mostly getting the Zdravetz (geranium), ylang ylang and red musk. Maybe a tiny bit of the patchouli. I am not picking up any oudh, but that's probably just because this is blended so finely. There is also Tahitian vanilla bean infusion in this, and I believe that might be where some of the sweetness is coming from. I could swear that I smell some Nag Champa incense in there somewhere, but maybe that's just the oudh combined with the ylang ylang (since, to me, Nag Champa smells like a sweet, slightly woody, rich 'tropical' floral). There is an alluring sweetness that emerges. It's beautiful!

A little bit later on:

SJ and MM has become very strong on my skin! I haven't applied any more of it, yet instead of fading, the scent seems to be intensifying and getting louder. It is honestly a little cloying. I still like it, but I don't think I'll be wearing it much during the summer. It is very, very intense. I won't take back any of my early compliments, but this is one that I will definitely apply with a light hand in the future. I don't know if it's the warmer weather or what, but that is one strong perfume oil! And if your chemistry is anything like mine, the scent will only increase over time. I will admit, I applied it with a heavier hand than usual because I was assuming it would be light. I think next time I will apply only a tiny amount. I still think it's unique and a stunning combination of notes.
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

I freakin' love this one straight out of the vial. Strong Ylang Ylang and Geranium that gives a definite Nag Champa vibe. It smells so gloriously Indian, like walking into an Indian brick-a-brack shop - and I LOVE that smell. LOVE it. I was very much hoping that this blend would smell like that given the inspiration behind it, and so I'm thrilled that it does. Geranium can overwhelm, but it doesn't here. The Ylang is the star, and gradually as it dries the vanilla is present without going too sweet on me. It softens up nicely after the strong beginning, and stays as a lovely close-to-the-skin Nag Champa scent. Heavenly. And like Howl, I'm glad it's permanent as I'll have to grab a bottle.

ETA: I reviewed too soon. Woe. The sweetness has ramped right up giving it a cloying candyish note that's ruining it for me. If only it had stayed at that lovely Nag Champa stage, but unfortunately I'll have to take it off my bottle list. Stupid skin chemistry.
woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango »

Out of the vial: hmm ylang ylang I think and something sweet, likely the vanilla I also think I get the geranium.

Wet: mmm that vanilla starts to come out and for a little bit that is all I smell. I don't mind though, I find that tahitian vanilla has a sort of fruity character that I love where as other kinds of vanilla tend to get all cloying and creamy.

Dry: So lovely and well blended! I have a hard time picking out any particular notes but that is not bad. This certainly has a tropical vibe to me which is not usually my thing but I find this really nice. I am often abit leary of blends with florals as often they amp on my skin but maybe Ylang Ylang and Zdravetz/geranium are one of the few exceptions! As funkmoppet said this is totally a nice nag champa and so far the vanilla has not amped too much.

Not sure yet if I would buy a whole bottle but I will certainly keep my poppette for days where I need something to remind me of summer!