Phyllotaxis

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phyllotaxis

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Phyllotaxis is the pattern of sunflower seeds around a central point. It is actually a Fibonacci Curve and it appears so often in Nature that it's almost the universal symbol of the of the Natural World! The elegance of a nautilus shell, the whorl of hair on the back of a baby's head, the ringing of leaves around their stalk, they all follow the rules of the Phyllotaxis.

Black musk and a dark Brown Musk combine iwith a whiff of Chai in a strong arabica blend rather than a Kona blend. A little spike lavender, hyssop, and cassia. A wake up sort of a perfume with somehow manages to become very cozy and hypnotic as if you were watching a swirling Phyllotaxis. I like this one when I am too revved up and need to calm myself."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Phyllotaxis

Post by mina »

Before Fabienne, I didn't like perfumes with coffee note. But this was before.
I can identify coffee and chai but not the other notes.
It's very comforting and long lasting.
Beautiful and hypnotic
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I gave a short review on this one in the spring thread, but now I'm going with the official review. Here's the journey:

In the bottle: Coffee (ehem, halitosis coffee breath--almost), something that comes across as nose-clearing menthol(ish) that i think may be the hyssop, a hint of spice, a tiny smidge of something that comes across as the caramel(ish) note in Theodora (which I'm picking up more of today than I have before)--that I think may be part of the black musk.

On my skin: The coffee fades down to rich coffee grounds, the menthol(ish) note really kicks up and lingers in the nose (almost like Vics vapor rub, without smelling like Vics), that caramel(ish) note begins to turn more honeyed (and now that I smell it today, that's the note that stayed longest on my skin yesterday, that made me want to LICK MY ARM it was SO GOOD), and I'm getting more of the cinnamony note rising to the top. Thankfully, when I first tried it, my skin never acted irritated--and I have very delicate skin. Waaaaay down underneath, the lavender comes in to add to the sweetness and also add the herbal edge.

As it dries: For a few minutes, the notes fight with each other as they mix and mingle. The halitosis coffee breath rises and then gives its last gasp as this resolves into a smooth and gorgeous coffee base--super smooth, coffee bean rich and without any burned edges. The lavender stretches out a bit, adding a touch to that menthol note. The menthol note begins to smooth out into something intriguing and adds depth to this.

As it dries further: This has a gorgeous syrupy quality to it like Theodora has, without being too much like Theodora. The sweetness rises and rises--almost honeyed without smelling like honey--so smooth and rich. It's not sugared--sugar would be too harsh. Not molasses (too dark). Not maple syrup (too mapled). The coffee continues to sink down to the bottom to be a rich and almost earthy base. I said it in my short review, but the coffee here almost reminds me of bark--giving this a little rougher edge, but still adding to the whole in such a way that you can't imagine this scent without the coffee. It would be missing a beautiful component if the coffee were out of this, and if I didn't know coffee was in here, at this point I would probably not pick it out. It's only by sniffing and knowing that it's in there that I can detect what it is.

Almost to the final dry down: this comes across as an herbal and amber colored sweetened tea without being tea. The mentholish note still rides along and reminds me of the way the sandalwood gives that type of vibe in Nefertiti and Akhenaten. In fact, the more I think about it, I would describe this scent in the dry down as the kissing cousin to Theodora and Nefertiti and Akhentaten--or perhaps even the middle child between those two. Yeah, it's that good. The lavender is not a loud or screaming lavender, and it's beautifully placed and gives this such a beautiful twist/edge along with the hyssop.

Final dry down and final verdict: I love how that honeyed note stays with this, and I'm thinking that may be part of the black musk. The coffee continues to be a low and deep base, giving this a beautiful depth and edge and keeping it from being too sweet. This is beautiful, and it's not as heavy as I was expecting it to be. Despite the rough opening I had with it on my first try, the way it dried down completely changed my mind. I think this is one of the greatest morphers I've tried to date from Possets (or at least it's the greatest morpher on my skin--your mileage may vary). If you get this and don't think you'll like it, let it ride out on your skin. It will change and surprise you and lure you with its beauty. This is my favorite coffee scent ever (although, I have yet to try the others from this release lol--but because of this one, now I can't wait to try the others even though I was scared to initially).

If you like Theodora and if you like Nefertiti and Akhenaten, you owe it to yourself to try this one. It's a stunner.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I have to admit that I'm sad that more people aren't reviewing this one, and I worry that I may have scared people off with the halitosis coffee breath initial opening comment. This definitely got one of my very cherished three votes--and it's rightly deserved. This collection has been very fascinating to me--it has some amazingly beautiful perfumes--and I think this one is iconic for this release because of how much it starts out one way, then becomes so amazingly beautiful on the dry down. This is one that should not be judged by first sniff. It needs the skin to snuggle up to, blend with, play against. It's beautiful, and I do hope more people try it--really try it. Okay, sad plea over with. I have to say after trying so many, this one still remains one of my favorites. :heartrain:
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

It's one of my favorite too. It's really a beautiful perfum.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I finally realized today what that opening note is. I made lavender pancakes (seriously amazing, btw, if we ever have a Possets party, I'm bringing the lavender pancakes), but I put too much lavender in today. As soon as I took a bite, I thought, "I know that taste, what is it?!?" I quickly realized that I was tasting that sharp mentholish note that is in Phyllotaxis' opening, and I went, "Aha!" That opening note (merging with the coffee) is a bright spikey lavender. It's heady, but now I can see why l love this so much in the dry down--the lavender rides it all the way through, shifting and turning as it goes, until it softens and becomes absolutely breathtaking. I still say this is the biggest morpher of this group (although, I think Fearful Symmetry might be the next one). Now that I know it's the lavender coming all the way through, I love it even more. MOAR! I MUST have MOAR!
thesibylqueen
archangel
archangel

Post by thesibylqueen »

Maya, you have me soooooooooooo tempted. Dare I splurge...???
My swap/sell list as well as my wishlist: http://www.possets.com/talking/viewtopi ... 1491#p1491
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

thesibylqueen wrote:Maya, you have me soooooooooooo tempted. Dare I splurge...???
I did, lol. it's one of the two scents I just ordered thanks to lovely reviews. I have convinced myself that these will be the last two before I finally vote.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I would be happy to send out a sample to you on a drenched q-tip, Thesibylqueen. :flow:
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

Ugh more cofee! I must splurge and have it. I'd love a sample but I have a feeling I should just go ahead an buy a bottle. I love coffee notes and smoke notes. Maya, your review was amazing as always.