Robert Burns--My Love is Like a Red Red Rose

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Robert Burns--My Love is Like a Red Red Rose

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Few are as outright romantic as Robert Burns in that Highland way. One of the most appealing aspects of his poetry is how fearlessly he veers into an almost limitless passion or backs off to a most tender observation about animals and humanity. In this poem, Burns is lost entirely to his lady love. There should always be a great rose perfume each summer. Art follows Nature. A very comforting, sweet, and almost sugared rose--not sharp at al. There are shades of Frou-Frou in this blend but this blend is a thing of beauty by itself. Floral."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Robert Burns--My Love is Like a Red Red Rose

Post by Petticoats »

The short version: I am in love. Now for the longer version!

Initial thoughts: Fabienne’s fragrances have made me a rose fan. Hers are the only rose fragrances that don’t smell old-ladyish or potpourri-ish to me, so the description of this fragrance, which suggests that the rose will be holding court on its own, intrigued me. I’m a romantic at heart, after all.

In bottle: Oh, lovely! Lush, lush romantic rose. Not as light as the rose in Isabella, a deeper, richer rose, a little more mature, although it still has that almost tangy quality that makes it so alive and real. Really beautiful and romantic.

Wet on skin: Mmmm. The lush, full-bodied rose (or maybe roseS, plural—I wouldn’t be surprised if there were several types here to make this such a full experience) is complemented by a sweeter sugar note. So far it seems straightforward but really extraordinarily beautiful. Right now I’m not getting “comforting” as in the description but joyously, euphorically romantic. This is a blooming rose warmed by the spring sunshine.

Starting to dry down: The euphoric floral brightness and the sweeter thread of sugar balance each other so nicely. The brightness gradually starts to settle down a little into steadfast, beautiful, spirit-lifting rose, so lush it has an almost fruitlike or winelike quality, yet it’s not heavy or at all overpowering. It’s just—well—joyful! If the first, wet stage was like the early giddy days of falling in love, the drydown is moving into the harmonious, steady, even stronger stage of heartfelt love that will endure. I actually find this fragrance very moving in its beauty. But then, I’m a softie. :)

Later dry-down: Continues to be exquisite, and that rich warm full-bodied heart of the rose does take on a little more sweetness and softness (is there maybe the faintest whiff of vanilla or Possets creaminess in the sugar?), giving it that comforting quality Fabienne spoke of--without losing its joy.

Verdict: Absolute heaven for rose lovers, and probably even for many who don’t ordinarily think of themselves as rose lovers. If you like floral-fruity fragrances like Marnie, this could be your gateway rose fragrance.
There is no question in my mind that this should be carried over to the permanent collection—it’s a new classic, a timeless beauty. Fabienne has created a masterpiece of seeming simplicity. :rose4u:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

This really is a gorgeous rose scent. Everything Petticoats said. I can't top her review. Do try it.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I'm testing this again alongside some other wonderful Possets rose fragrances, and I'm finding that the Burns is more complex than any of the others I've tried. It combines the warm, gentle heart of Frou-Frou and the innocent high spirits of Isabella with a skosh of the wilder tang of The Queen. It has a touch of the fruity lushness of Marnie. And that lovely sweet sugary note is rounding out any suspicion of sharpness. It's a beautiful, fresh, luscious, gently sugared rose. I imagine that it would be delicious for layering (with, say, Samarkand? Shah Jahan & Mumtaz Mahal?), but on its own it is just beautiful. It's a classic.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

So far I've tried layering this with two other Possets--Limoncello Ti Amo and Perpetual Orgasm--and it's heavenly with each. These are great warm-weather combinations that are fresh and uplifting. As much as I love Burns Rose on its own, I think I'll need another bottle just for layering!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Due to the awesomeness of Boudicca (and a terrible delay on my part in getting my mail), I now have a q-tip sample of this.

My thoughts: first of all, it needs to be said that Boudicca is AMAZING in how she packaged this. I throw mine in a baggy and send them out. Hers was placed in a perfectly sized little container so it made its way here so beautifully. :rose4u: Okay, to the review: as soon as I open the container, I get a beautiful lush rose that reminds me a bit of Texas, but this is definitely more of a red rose--with some lush pinks tossed in.

On my skin: it is going a little soapy, but this is ROSE, rose in rich and vivid glory.

As it dries: it's definitely going soapy on me (darn you, skin!), but I still get trails of heirloom roses, lush red rose, and a small smidge of wild roses rounding out the bottom. For the first time in a long time, I am seriously thinking of going to Etsy to grab a scent locket just so I can smell this without it going soapy on my skin. This is lush romantic rose, and I want to turn it into a bedroom spray, so I can pretend I am in a bower of roses every time I go to bed. This is SO pretty and so very ROSE.

As it dries further: it's staying pretty true to rose. I'm getting a faint tint of the sugar, but so far this is staying a linear rose scent (although it's a very full rose scent that comes across as a bunch of cut roses all put in the vase together--so no one variety stands out). Every now and then I get a whiff of a more fresh rose, then it fades and I get heirloom rose, then that drops down and I get a smidge of soap, then that fades again back to fresh cut roses. It's lush, and if you are looking for a rose scent, this is the one for you to try.

This is definitely making me think of getting a scent locket. I've been on the hunt for THE rose scent, and if this didn't go wonky on my skin the way rose scents do, this would be it.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Squee! Thank you for your wonderful review, Maya--you express things so beautifully and far more perceptively and learnedly (I hope that's a word) than I can. I love that you were able to put a name to the different facets or types of rose that I got from this.

And I love the idea of using it as a room fragrance! It would be like being in Sleeping Beauty's castle, surrounded by the wild overgrown hedge of roses. *sigh* I'm going to put some on before bedtime tonight. :heartrise:
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Petticoats wrote:Squee! Thank you for your wonderful review, Maya--you express things so beautifully and far more perceptively and learnedly (I hope that's a word) than I can. I love that you were able to put a name to the different facets or types of rose that I got from this.
I don't know if I'm more learned. I just try to translate what I smell to what I've experienced then put it into words lol. I also DID just have the benefit of walking through a rose garden a few weeks ago, and was able to sniff alllll of the glorious heirloom and modern varieties they had. SO beautiful!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Maya wrote:
Petticoats wrote:Squee! Thank you for your wonderful review, Maya--you express things so beautifully and far more perceptively and learnedly (I hope that's a word) than I can. I love that you were able to put a name to the different facets or types of rose that I got from this.
I don't know if I'm more learned. I just try to translate what I smell to what I've experienced then put it into words lol. I also DID just have the benefit of walking through a rose garden a few weeks ago, and was able to sniff alllll of the glorious heirloom and modern varieties they had. SO beautiful!
Oh, how lovely. Well, then, you're definitely in a better position to comment on Burns Rose than I am! With me it boils down to "it's heavenly, I love it, and the whole world needs to smell this!"

I did wear some to bed last night, and I had colorful dreams of bright tropical fish as big as ottomans. No idea whether there's a connection. :grin: