Lord Byron--She Walks in Beauty Like the Night

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lord Byron--She Walks in Beauty Like the Night

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "One of the most dazzling poems ever written by one of the most extreme of poets. Byron was famously described by Lady Caroline Lamb (whom he ruined) as,"Mad, bad, and dangerous to know." "She Walks In Beauty" has a composition of black oude, a musk which only has a number not a name, sandalwood, artemisia, rue, Arabian White Oude, pettigrain, elimi, silk essence, black tea, and an ingredient which I made and it's hard to describe...I call it "The attractive no- perfume fragrance which I can't describe or resist." Strong, Sexual yet wise, long lasting, and classic."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Boudicca

Re: Lord Byron--She Walks in Beauty Like the Night

Post by Boudicca »

This to me makes me think of a high end designer fragrance. Very classy. Oriental. A little leaning toward a Floral Oriental despite the fact it's pretty much lacking flowers. Yeah, I'm really liking this. This might be the one I have to take for a full day test drive tomorrow.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I had hoped that when I tested this last night it was still unsettled from its travels and would behave better today. Unfortunately, it seems that my skin chemistry detests something in this fragrance. It goes shrill and screamy on me, quite overpowering. :sad: It certainly is strong and lasting, though--even after scrubbing, the fragrance is very prominent.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

This is just lovely! Really, and truly, lovely. I definitely get the floral-oriental vibe that Boudicca mentioned. A very classy, ladylike fragrance. I can not pick it apart, it is very well blended, which is pretty miraculous coming out of a super hot mailbox. I certainly recognize the elements of black musk and oude, but truly it is blended just beautifully, so it isn't as though I can truly pick out those notes, I can just tell they are in there. Does that make sense? Probably not, lol. Anyways, this is a gorgeous, sophisticated fragrance. Well done, Fabienne!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

*pouts* I am so frustrated that Byron isn't behaving for me as he is for you and Boudicca! I love oriental florals, love them.

*sigh* I'm going to set this scoundrel aside for a week or so and see if a little time will improve his attitude toward me.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Did the solo test drive of this one today.
I really cannot pick the notes out on this one. I look* at the notes, sniff, and am still lost. It's that well blended. Tres femme, though I think on some few guys it could be just unworldly awemazing. (There are quite a few guys on another forum I'm on that will wear anything, as they should if they like it.) I don't think it would work on my guy, but now that my mind has started wandering down that path I'd almost like to dab some on him when he is sleeping :wink:
To me, this smells like something for which one might pay a lot of money. Gorgeous.
I re-dabbed a little before leaving work tonight and drove home with windows open in the 90-something degree heat -- screw the AC. Marvelously heady without being overwhelming.
ETA: I don't think I have another Posset like this.
Petticoats, I'm so sorry it's not cooperating with you! But yes, put it aside for a while and hopefully it will come around.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by mina »

Black tea, oude.
A deep, sexy oriental. Almost masculine but very feminine in the same time.
I didn't think it will behave in the heat but it was perfect.

My kind of perfum.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Following up a week and a half after my initial unhappy review of this, I find that Byron's still not working for me. I've been continuing to test She Walks in hopes that it would get along better with me, but my results have been pretty uniform.

Wet, She Walks is overwhelmingly sweet with a cold note, like the way violets or iris sometimes behave on my skin.

Starting to dry down, it develops an actual bite, an unpleasant pungent note. I am getting the presence of some kind of potentially nice exotic/spice quality in the background, but it’s overwhelmed by the sweetness and pungency. It may be that I have a problem with neroli, since another neroli fragrance I tried recently (from a different maker) was intolerably bitter to me.

Continuing to dry down (15-20 minutes later), it becomes powdery, without any reduction in the cloying sweetness and the bitey pungency.

Close to an hour after that, it's still super-sweet, and the powderiness seems to be tempering but not entirely eliminating the former pungency. I'm washing it off now, because this is the same experience as the last few times I've tested She Walks over the past 10 days.

Sadly, this fragrance just isn't working for me. This may be a peculiarity of my chemistry, though; Rubaiyat is overwhelmingly sweet on me as well, an effect other reviewers don't seem to be experiencing. It looks like others' experience is much more positive. And as I noted earlier, the sillage and lasting power of She Walks are great, so those fortunates for whom the scent works will definitely benefit from that.

Edited to add: Thanks to the wisdom of hill78 and Maya, I think I've identified the source of my problem with She Walks. It looks like my skin amps the white oude and gives me the powdery super-sweetness that normal people don't experience. So if you don't have a sensitivity to white oude, She Walks will probably behave gorgeously for you!
Last edited by Petticoats on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Could it be white oude? looks like that is listed in the notes of each. maybe your skin makes it overly sweet?
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

hill78 wrote:Could it be white oude? looks like that is listed in the notes of each. maybe your skin makes it overly sweet?
Good call, Hill. I'm wondering about that too, because I've found that both this and Rubaiyat have a similar quality in the way they amp as they go along--and part of it is that rising white oude that continues to grow as it blends with the skin the way vetiver continues to grow and expand as it warms on the skin.

I could see how both of those notes come across as sweet--even though it's not candy or sugar sweet.

Petticoats, have you tried Fearful Symmetry yet? I found some slight similarities between the dry down in this one and the dry down in Fearful--and both have a white oude note. If Fearful comes across the same way to you, I'd be tempted to think it's the oude causing you issues.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!