Allen Ginsberg--Howl

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Allen Ginsberg--Howl

Post by Petticoats »

fabienne wrote:I pray you, read the whole thing and you will see the places where it's not bitter but STRONG sweetness and animal kindliness. No kidding, it's there. I had to have the mindset of a drunken 17 year old to find it. Fortunately for me, I can conjure that up. :hrt::
You are completely right--I didn't read the entire poem. I was just going by a quick glance... which is particularly shameful for a former English lit instructor. :s: *slinks away in shame*
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
fabienne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fabienne »

Oh, dont' feel bad, there are some parts of Howl which are just thoroughly revolting BUT I believe that is part of its effect. :flow:
I have sniffed the Panties of Ptah!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

fabienne wrote:Oh, dont' feel bad, there are some parts of Howl which are just thoroughly revolting BUT I believe that is part of its effect. :flow:
You are very kind to let me off the hook, Fabienne! :hrt:: But I have to say there are no parts of your "Howl" fragrance that are in the least revolting.
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

I actually love the name of this one because it is also the name of one of my favorite songs by Florence and the Machine. And it fits that song very well.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Wearing Howl again today and still loving it. It's so smooth and luscious. Comforting and decadent at the same time.

ETA: Hours later, I'm getting more of the incense and patchouli than ever before. Spicy and exciting. This is just going to keep getting better with age!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

This one was on my list. I think I must get it from your reviews.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

It really is wonderful. Howl and the Burns Rose are, to me, the standouts in the poetry collection, although they're so different from each other. Both of them totally deserve to become permanent!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm lifting this from the post I made for my perfume blog this morning. I usually go the opposite way (lift from what I write here to copy there, but today is backwards day I guess lol).

It's official, I now have a review for this! Here it is:

In the bottle: I have been (since day one) unsure about this fragrance while it sits in the bottle. I get a little bit of dryer-sheet-aisle waft and that always makes me do a squinty face. However, wrapped around that is a really deep and dark hint of something that wants to come out to play, a rough edge (and oh do I love those rough edges), and a drop of sandalwood (very light drop), threaded through with a shot of something that makes me think of very dark brown sugar with some of the sweetness cut out.

On my skin: Oh my. Deep, perfume-y, and rich, this goes on with almost a chocolate vibe (cocoa chocolate, not milk nor mild) with a hint of smoke, a touch of Fabienne's chypre (I cannot get enough of her chypre blends), and a deep dark musk that seems threaded through with a faint touch of something that feels like caramel without all of the sweetness. I also get a faint touch of spiced incense.

As it begins to dry down: the smoke roughs this up a bit, which I love. It's not a heavy smoke because the other notes are stronger, but the undernote of smoke gives this a gritty edge that makes this intriguing and compelling, and adds a lot of depth. I have to admit that I (so far) haven't fallen in love with most red musks I've tried, so I was nervous about this perfume. I can get some of the red musk vibe, but it's whipped into shape by the black and amber musks so that makes me happy. The rest of this is a little bit sweet, but not sugared in its sweetness. This comes across as a very dark perfume without feeling too heavy or oppressive.

As it dries further: The black musk (sweet and velvety) comes out to play some. It gives this warmth and body, and plays beautifully with the opium tar resin. I think some of the smoke that I'm getting is from the opium tar resin, but the opium tar also adds a note of sweetness to this and a bit of the grit to round out the edges. The amber musk adds a touch of powder to this, helping to keep this from being too heavy and overwhelming. The faint incense note fades down even more to give support to the base.

Final dry down: this has staying power and decent throw. Despite the heavy-hitting notes, it ends up being deep and dark without being overwhelming or smothering. That dark cocoa note rides along for a while then merges into the smoke and the grit. I keep coming back to the word gritty for this one. It's not gritty as in dirty, but gritty as in having teeth and edge and fortitude. I think of gravel, but despite that rough edge, this has a lot of smoothness to it. It's lush, velvety even, and rich. I think the patchouli helps to add to the grit in this, but this is no head-shoppy patchouli. It's dark and growly and plays beautifully with the other notes.

At first sniff, I wasn't sure about this one. And, I have to admit, that there's something about this that for the first five minutes makes me wonder if I'm going to want to scrub it off. It feels...unresolved...(for lack of a better term) for those opening minutes. But when it begins to pull together it becomes a thing of beauty.

This is a deeply satisfying perfume for someone who likes contrasts and balance and dark but not too-heavy fragrances. It has some sweetness, but it's not so sweet that you feel like falling into a sugar coma. It has depth. It has teeth, but those teeth only nibble, and there is something about it that is definitely worth a nibble or two (or five, or more--whew!). It feels velvety and lush, but it has a prim backbone that keeps it from going overboard. It's perfumy and makes me think of some of the dark heavy-hitters from the 1980's, but this doesn't have that nose-clogging sneezability like those did. I feel powerful and strong while wearing it, but hours later when it's completely resolved and faintly riding the skin all I want to do is snuggle up somewhere with my favorite book and a nice fire because of how comforting and soft it feels. I love perfumes with nuances and edges, and this one definitely has that for me.

In short, the name says it all: Howl. When I put it on I want to prowl, I want to stalk, I want to wait for the darkest night with the faintest light, put this on, and yell at the moon, then find someone to drag back to my lair to...well, you can fill in the rest. I'm pretty sure I'll be voting for this one to become permanent. :D
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Maya, you write such magnificent reviews! You put me to shame. :) Thank you for lending your eloquence to a fragrance I'm so enamoured of. I'd love if it you would review the Burns Rose (strong hint!).
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Petticoats wrote:Maya, you write such magnificent reviews! You put me to shame. :) Thank you for lending your eloquence to a fragrance I'm so enamoured of. I'd love if it you would review the Burns Rose (strong hint!).

LOL! I keep thinking about getting it, but most rose fragrances are DOOOOM on me. The only rose that has not gone straight to bathroom-spray air-freshener (or soap) on me is Texas. However, your comments about it keep making me think I should give it a try. (You evil enabler, you.) :grin:
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!