Illusion (Falsifiers)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Illusion (Falsifiers)

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "Illusion is a wide topic and a lot of fun to play with, by its nature it needs to be highly attractive, downright fascinating. Black tea (flirty and strong) with a charming blown sugar edge (but managing to stay VERY dry), a whollop of frankincense, and a beautiful but unexpected pumpkin which somehow manages to preserve the gourd-like aspect of it all. Sexy, sophisticated, and heart stopping."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Illusion (Falsifiers)

Post by Petticoats »

This is really nice! I was worried about the black tea note making it too pungent, but everything is incredibly well balanced and harmonizes so well. I never would have thought of putting incense with the foody notes, but it's beautiful! The result is warm and spicy and hovering right between gourmand and non-gourmand. It's not as dark and rich as Grand Theft Pumpkin, a little higher in pitch,* but it's extremely pretty--it's sweeter than GTP, for one thing. The brown sugar note is yummy. (*Disclaimer: I am starting to suspect that my skin makes incense go a bit high-pitched, so YMMV.)

One way of comparing the two, if you're trying to decide between delectable spicy pumpkins, is to think of Illusion as a daytime fragrance and GTP as more of a nighttime one. I'm afraid I'll have to get bottles of both. Such a terrible fate, lol. :jackoface:
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Angewl
mortal
mortal

Post by Angewl »

So far, Illusion is my favorite out of all the Inferno perfumes I've tried. :3
It starts out with cinnamon (?) and the blown sugar edge. Very sweet and not overwhelming at all.
It's been a couple hours and it's not morphing much... > . <
...which makes me think that I'm misinterpreting the pumpkin for cinnamon. XD I do believe that the smoothness of black tea creeps in over time.
I don't really get any frankincense at all (which is good to me, because in the past I've found frankincense to be to masculine and heavy for me).
But yeah...it's very lovely, very feminine and soft. I'll be voting for this one. :leaves:
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I thought I'd add that when I test Illusion again, I think I'm getting the cinnamon Angewl mentions--and in fact I think it's that my skin is amping, not incense, and that's making it a bit high-pitched for me. My skin seems to like to do that with cinnamon.

But even with my chemistry putting the cinnamon into overdrive, I'm really enjoying this one.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

I'm binge testing.
If you like Betsy, I think you will love this. You might like it better even.
Sorry, interupted mid-review. But I probably would not have had much to add. Hard for me to get past brown/burnt sugar. I amp it
Oooh, this is quite good though. Better than Betsy :wink:
Sugar AND Spice! More spice. This won't melt.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

Hmmm....the verdict is out on this one. I think my skin may be amping the brown sugar note and turning it into sort of a fall candle scent. This is fresh out of the mailbox though, so I am reserving judgement until I try it once it has rested from travel. I do like it, I just want to smell the other notes in addition to the brown sugar. Don't get me wrong, the brown sugar is quite tasty smelling, but reads as more of a yummy room sort of scent that something I would wear on my skin frequently. Perhaps with a bit of rest I will get more of the black tea, frankincense, and pumpkin. I think I could like it quite a lot if the other notes would surface to balance the brown sugar. As it has dried down I've noticed that I like the scent wafting around me, so it certainly does have potential.

ETA: This is already better, and it's only been out of the mailbox a few hours. I reapplied and got a gorgeous waft of frankincense and black tea with the yummy brown sugar. I can't really separate the pumpkin from the mélange, likely it is part of what helps this feel like a richer scent, not just pure sugar. The black tea and frank almost give this a woodsy vibe when wet. I'm not getting any spice that others have mentioned, and that was scaring me a bit because I can tend to amp the hell out of spices in some instances.

ETA2: I've returned to say that this does indeed have spice. I think it might still have been struggling with travel shock when I first tried it. I have worn it several times since my initial review and there is definitely a strong spice component most potent when wet. It even burns my skin. But I am willing to endure it because I love the way this scent embodies the Fall season to me. Warm, woodsy, spicy, sweet. So good!
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

This may be one that has to get voted in as well (I want them ALLLLLL!).

I wore this one today because I was feeling properly fall-festive. I got appreciative sniffs every where I went--which is a trend that happens often when I wear this one. I had someone tell me that I smelled SOOOOO gooood. A guy walking toward me (the wind was blowing slightly his direction) slowed waaaaay down (trying to not look obvious about it) and I could hear him sniffing one giant long sniff as he walked by me LOL. Just as he got even with me, he slowed down to almost a crawl, and I had a moment of wondering if he was going to pass out from trying to sniff so long and hard. I laughed all the way to my car.

This one is heavyish on the brown sugar for me, but I love the way it mingles with the tea. One person today said, "I'm getting something pumpkiny, but not quite pumpkin from it. It's sweet, but not too sweet. It's yummmmy!"

This, to me, is a perfect fall fragrance. It does have that foody edge, but it's not so foody that people think you just drizzled food down you and forgot to clean it up. The spice isn't as dominant in this one for me as some of the other pumpkin perfumes that tend to come out this time of year. The spice is there, but it's softer, more powdered, and what I get predominantly from this would be warm and cuddly. I see this as a caramel brown color with gold highlights.

Mmmmmm so perfect for this time of year!
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

I normally don't do foody or spicy or pumpkin (why am I even hanging around Possets LOL, but there are many other beauties not in those categories that get overlooked IMO :wink: )
I CAN do Illusion though.....brown sugary to begin with but not sickly, maybe the tea keeps it under control? A hint of pumpkin briefly appears and adds a touch of sweetness, but on me this dries down to tea and frankincense and that is sooooo good! :hrt::
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

I have my fingers crossed that this one makes permanent because I have fallen in love with it.
Floria
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Floria »

Right out of the bottle, this is a little sharp from the black tea and frankincense, and sweet from the brown sugar. It mellows fairly quickly to brown sugar and pumpkin (the pumpkin note feels kind of baked, like in Grand Theft Pumpkin), but with something that keeps it from feeling completely foody.
I think there might be some kind of spice in this, since it turns my wrists pink and I caught a bit of spice early in the drydown.