Fire Flakes

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fire Flakes

Post by Maya »

Possets' description: "This is the arena of the violent and dashing...the pirate and brigand, the bad boys and girls. Dramatic and attractive, there is an underpinning of a silvery camphor and the hypnotic allure of narcissus combined with a surprising element of fern and precious Arabian musk. A drop of chocolate liquor keeps the whole from tipping its hand too soon and thereby losing its prey. Strong and stunning and just plain good smelling."
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Fire Flakes

Post by Petticoats »

This is definitely going to be a big bottle buy for me. So sexy in a deep, soft, musky way. And now the details!

Source: Decant from Ajevie's circle

Initial thoughts: I usually don't like camphor, but the unusual combination of notes in the description intrigued me, and I was very attracted by the mention of Arabian musk and chocolate liquor.

In bottle: Wow, sexy. It has a rich, oriental opulence.

Wet on skin: Veers a little high pitched, but still sexy and opulent. The camphor isn't taking over, as I'd feared it might; it seems to play a rather subtle role.

Drying down: No longer high pitched, it has a perfumy quality, in a good way. It's reminding me a little of some of my favorite cuddly-sexy scents from Wiggle. It's getting a little powdery and more ladylike, although the musk and chocolate (I’m guessing) keep it sexy. The chocolate is so subtle that I wouldn't have known it was there without Fabienne's description, but I suspect it's contributing to the dark-velvety quality.

Further drying down: Now it’s moving past the powdery phase and settling back down into a very sexy and feminine fragrance. A little reminiscent of the velvety-sexy vibe of Shah Jahan & Mumtaz Mahal, with a lighter-flowery note. Lingering, with good throw.

Overall: This is the kind of fragrance I think of when I hear the word "musk." Incredibly seductive and smoothly exotic--oh yes, this will be mine. :hrt::
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

I hope Chime doesn't mind if I paste in her remarks from another thread, because I think her take would be helpful to other Possetiers:
Chime wrote:I am surprised there is not much love for Fire Flakes (yet). Out of the entire order , FF stood out as the clear winner.
Sweet and unisex and yes, just as the description - amazing.

What kind of a scent is that anyways? not a foody, not chypre...

It is such a good fit that I had people flatter me that not only they liked how it smells on me, but that "it is very you". which is a definite first.

Not bracing or sharp, or smells like a moth ball at all (I thought camphor was the thing that moth balls are made of) .
I can't describe individual notes though.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

Oh my! I don't know about clear winner but this is definitely a contender. The camphor is nice but not overwhelming and exactly what my head needs right now. It's very interesting.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Boudicca wrote:Oh my! I don't know about clear winner but this is definitely a contender. The camphor is nice but not overwhelming and exactly what my head needs right now. It's very interesting.
How would you compare the "vibe" of this to say mmmm Nefertiti?
lulu
archangel
archangel

Post by lulu »

Wow, this is a really fiesty but interesting fragrance! As Petticoats said, it's kind of high pitched at first- strong Arabian musk, slightly green and some camphor which is not medicinal at all, it has a soft edge to it and just adds dimension and complements the other notes.

I thought I caught the chocolate liquor for half a second but otherwise you wouldn't know it was there. As it softens, it does go through a powdery stage but stays quite perfumey. It calms down a lot but for me stays in the upper register- very hard to actually describe and I need to wear this for a full day to really assess it but so far it's a winner!
Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats »

Maya wrote:
Boudicca wrote:Oh my! I don't know about clear winner but this is definitely a contender. The camphor is nice but not overwhelming and exactly what my head needs right now. It's very interesting.
How would you compare the "vibe" of this to say mmmm Nefertiti?
Maya, to me the camphor in Nefertiti & Akhenaten is on the medicinal side, even a bit harsh. I didn't get any of that from the camphor in Fire Flakes. It's a much gentler presence.
Boudicca

Post by Boudicca »

If we're talking the vibe of the camphor...
I just reviewed some bottles. To me, the camphor in N&A is very similar to that in Panic, though I don't find either very medicinal. Here it's stronger in the bottle at least and a totally different vibe.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

Boudicca wrote:If we're talking the vibe of the camphor...
I just reviewed some bottles. To me, the camphor in N&A is very similar to that in Panic, though I don't find either very medicinal. Here it's stronger in the bottle at least and a totally different vibe.
Now I'm even more intrigued with this one. "Curiouser and curioser." :grin:
hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 »

This one definitely intrigues me, but the narcissus scares me. Those types of florals can be too much for me. So, with that in mind....how much does the floral come across?