The Damned Flower

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Damned Flower

Post by Maya » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:35 am

Possets' description: The florin was the official coin of Florence, the iris was stamped on every florin as the official symbol of the city. An iris appeared on every coin of all denominations. Here I take the idea of iris literally, having it be the centerpiece for this sophisticated and high-keyed, dry and grown up blend. Too imperious to be floral. The florin takes shape and earthy musks and combines them through myrtle and adds a drape of orris (dried iris root). The result is a heavenly unique perfume.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: The Damned Flower

Post by Petticoats » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Lush and lovely! I came so close to not getting a decant of this, because I didn't take to A Prologue and thought that meant I'm not an iris person, but this has completely changed my mind. There's a kind of fruity lushness at first to the floral quality, reminding me of Rhett & Scarlett, and I love that it has a lot of throw. As the fruitiness recedes a little on drydown, it still has a kind of fresh quality, like fresh-cut flowers with the dew still on them.

This is what you need when the winter grays get to you and you need the promise of spring and new life and energy. Sweet, luscious, a wonderful surprise that just makes me happy to breathe it in.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:26 am

I had to follow up on this because it's become one of my surprise favorites from this collection (a collection that's full of beauties) and, as often happens, my impressions have changed a bit upon longer acquaintance.

Now that my decant has had a little more time to rest, I'm getting less of the lush, dewy quality I noted before and more gravitas and depth. It's developed some attractive powderiness in the drydown, and overall it has a mysterious elegance that makes it inviting to me in a way I can't really explain. It's not super-sweet, which may be part of what I find so attractive about it; I'm starting to get what Fabienne described as dryness, and that adds to its complexity.

This is becoming a sophisticated, elegant fragrance. Even though I'm not usually a florals girl, there's something so beautiful and striking about The Damned Flower that I can't seem to get enough of it. It's definitely not like any other fragrance I have.

sertso
mortal
mortal

Post by sertso » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Fresh from the mailbox (and cold), I put this on.

Iris. Yes, of course. I'm not a huge fan of iris, but it's supposed to be there, and indeed it is. Well, I'll wait.

Half an hour later, still iris, but the other notes are coming into play and are rather nice.

At about one hour, I decided that I really liked the other notes and they were beginning to balance out the iris.

In the end, this one became less notably iris and absolutely beautiful. I'm going to order a 10 ml and hope others discover it. I'm really in love with it. The musk/myrtle/orris combination is stunning! :angel:

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:57 am

Now I am so curious about this one! I should've gotten a decant. I have enjoyed orris in the past, but I am unsure about the Iris. I'm not a big florals gal. But I find orris to have a sweet, slightly powdery quality that I very much enjoy. Oy, maybe I should've added a bottle of this to the order I placed today.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 am

It really is special, hill78, and I'm not ordinarily a big florals or iris person either. I'm so glad I didn't pass it by! I'll be happy to send you a q-tip, if you like; just PM me your address!

sertso
mortal
mortal

Post by sertso » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Now that this has been at room temperature for a few days, the wait for the wonderful stuff under the iris is down to about 15 minutes. It's really one of the most exquisite aromas I've encountered. And not that much of a floral--just a drop-dead gorgeous blend.

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm copying my review from the main thread in case others want my initial thoughts on how this worked for me straight from the mail box (and who maybe aren't reading the main thread).
The Damned Flower in the bottle is...hard to pin down at first sniff. I get an iris vibe (a very nice, lovely one), an element that reminds me of Empyrean, and a touch of something that comes across as deep but bright yellow wine. On my skin, my poor nose has a hard time getting definable notes and I am being surrounded by the clove of Sacred Smoke. However, what I get from this is deeply pretty, a touch of something in The Moon that I love, the softness of iris, and it makes me think this is the one that's going to get a full test tomorrow without any other scent clogging up my impressions. I want to get to know this one better. Yep, yes, yes I do. I love a good iris perfume (one of my favorites being L'eau D'Hiver by Malle), which means that it can't be too powdered but it also can't be rotten (which some iris perfumes can come across as), and I'm thinking this could be right up that beautiful iris list.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Maya, I really look forward to getting your impressions as you road-test this more. I too had a really hard time pinning it down, and even now all I can really say for sure is that it's beautiful and seems to just keep getting more so. :hrt::

Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:10 pm

I threw this on this morning hoping to get a chance to review it and didn't, so I'm going ahead tonight. But, before I put it on again, I have to say that my impressions from today are that what was on my skin was not what wafted around me and that waft is really amazing and lovely (although what's on my skin isn't horrible either lol). I'm hoping this "official" test for the review holds the same. One note: it does not have the staying power or oomph of say The Moon or Empyrean, but it lasted a decent amount of time. It would definitely qualify for a "dressy occasion" type scent (and depending on what it was, maybe last the whole time).

Onward to the fun stuff!

In the bottle: a very lovely fresh iris root note (slightly powdery and soft, without coming across like baby powder), a honeyed sweetness, and a note that I got from The Moon (perhaps the myrtle? I need to double check the notes on The Moon) but here it is much softer and more demure (I believe that note is what I was equating to as a very fine yellow wine). I already really like what's in the bottle. That iris note is beautiful (if you like pure gorgeous fresh iris root notes, this is a must-have).

On my skin: it goes on with a softness that belies what's about to happen. It starts off very soft with a faint hint of iris and something lurking underneath. Within a minute, it begins to rise on the skin. Iris (and ohhh how pretty that note is), a teeeeensy smidge of greenness, that honeyed sweetness. It almost immediately drops down again and becomes a little more dry as the perfume begins to dry, but then it shifts around and rises again (although this time that smidge of greenness is gone).

It was at this stage this morning that I was like, "Yep. Winner." I think I was expecting it to have the same volume of The Moon or Empyrean. It does not. But, it's so delicately lovely in its own right. It doesn't need to be loud. You wouldn't want it to be loud. It would be offensive. Like cursing at the Queen.

Okay, back to the review. As it continues to dry down, it gets a little stronger. The honeyed sweetness hits my nose like honey now, but it's a clear and golden honey (thin--not thick or complex). That iris is just...beautiful. THIS is what I was thinking of when I bought Leap Day and for some reason although I can see some similarities between the two Leap Day didn't really work on me. This one does.

As it continues to dry, the notes are still shifting for me, and here is where (both this morning and now) I get a sharp edge that makes me squint at my hand like, "You'd better not go funky. You'd just better not!" Thankfully, I have the experience from this morning to know that this sharpness lingers for a little while, then fades down. It's also here that the notes twist a bit and almost clash with each other. However, that clash is over in less than a minute, and it begins to smooth out into what it will remain for the rest of the time on the skin.

This really does remind me of The Moon in some ways, but in a much softer and more delicate version. Maybe this has a smidge of that beeswax note or maybe it's one of the musks. I'm not sure. All I know is that I feel that this ranks right up there with my loves from this release. It's softer, not as bold or as "Look at how gorgeous I am!" but this one is equally lovely. Now here's what's interesting: on my skin, I get all of the notes I mentioned. The waft? Yeah, all of those notes smoothed out and turned into a slightly powdered version that ends up feeling edged in gold and royal purple. The waft makes me want to kiss myself it's that good.

Final verdict: This is beautifully femme, softly seductive, and classy. Not classy as in black dress and pearls. Classy as in old money wearing a pale summer sky colored suit, with just the right soft gold accent pieces. This is too well-bred to be overstated. And it's too pretty to be ignored. But it doesn't care if you love or adore it. It exists in its own beauty and goes its own way, caring not what others think because it knows who it is and needs no other thing on earth to fulfill it (except for your skin, of course). It does not have a lot of throw, so I think it could work in an office environment on days when you need to walk in feeling like you own the place. But if you can get some of this on your clothes, people are going to want to hug you, be around you, and maybe even possibly sit on you to keep you still so they can just sniff you.