The Pleiades

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

The Pleiades

Post by Boudicca » Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Possets description:
Subaru in Japanese myth (hence the name of the car and its logo) the 7 sisters have a variety of myths attributed to their origins and lives (usually they were ravished by a variety of gods who could not withstand their beauty and had an army of children afterwards). Hauntingly romantic silver musk is at the base, osmanthus (sweet olive), pink baby rose, hawthorne, and a small amount of vanilla. A very floaty, dreamy fragrance perfect for mooning over your lover or trying to catch the attention of someone for whom you have set your cap. Difficult to pin down, and wraps you in a cloud of charmingly vague but definitely beautiful fragrance. Very very feminine.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: The Pleiades

Post by Petticoats » Wed May 14, 2014 7:46 pm

This reminds me a good bit of Isabella--the combination of rose, vanilla, and honeyed/milky musk. It's very pretty, but I think I'd have to try it side by side with Isabella to be able to comment on the differences.

If you like Isabella, this is probably a good choice for you. It's very feminine.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Post by Petticoats » Sat May 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Trying The Pleiades again, I'm reminded of another favorite posset: Lovechild Meltbaby. This has some of that creamy soft floral euphoria. This is very feminine (as Fabienne notes), ideal for spring, with lots of throw. It's the kind of fragrance that makes you smile. So pretty!
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Thaleia
mortal
mortal

Post by Thaleia » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:59 pm

I should probably preface this review with the caveat that I amp rose like gangbusters, because this is very strongly rose for me both in the bottle and on my arm. Per Petticoats' suggestion in her review, I tried it side-by-side with Isabella (and I do love Isabella, it's my "ingénue" scent), and also tried it alongside Angelic Host (1st): Angels, which I thought would also be very similar. Both Angels and Isabella are softer; Isabella is creamier and Angels is sweeter, while The Pleiades features a sharper, greener, more 'forward' rose. Much of the sharpness goes away after a while, but the rose comes out more in this than the others. Ultimately, I would say it's closer to Angels than it is to Isabella, but all three are very similar and equally beautiful.
Quod scimus loquimur, quod vidimus testamur

sillageslut
archangel
archangel

Post by sillageslut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Since I'm a reformed hater of rose (Fabienne's fault), I had to try this. The Pleiades is my second favorite rose scent. I fell in love with Nebula, so it didn't have much of a chance. Nebula did not make the vote for permanent catalog but I think if I layer The Pleiades with Wings of an Angel it will be very close. I am starting to really enjoy pale rose notes so maybe one day The Pleiades will pull up to the number one spot.

lizbet
mortal
mortal

Post by lizbet » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Very light and pretty (similar to Isabella as some have said.) This is a very young rose scent--think fresh scrubbed milky skin a butterfly could land on. If you are afraid of smelling like Aunt Martha's powdery potpourri, this ain't it. That being said, I personally prefer my roses sullied with oude or resins, (and sometimes overripe unwashed fruit :tong: ) so I'm not likely to pull this one off.

funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Pretty sweet roses in abundance, though it's not a loud blend. This is fresh and innocent, and so far so good, there's no powder which roses can sometimes do. The musk and vanilla are very light and after a while this has a sort of soft candyish quality, like musk-sticks (an AU/NZ rose candy). This is lovely, but there are a number of fragrances like this one, and I'm not sure I like this more than the others. It's another lovely Possets rose though.

Narcisse
mortal
mortal

Post by Narcisse » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:47 pm

The Pleiades is this girl now transitioned into a mid to late twenties woman. The rose scent that was playing well with the musky cream scent is now fully combined. The roses in the two smell (Isabella and Pleiades) like the same base rose; IRL it reminds me of a hot pink hybrid tea rose that I used to walk past and smell, but real life and perfume's twain rarely meet, most people would categorize this as a red rose. It actually opens on me very similarly to how Woman does. The opening is very different and much richer than Isabella, but once you have worn into the dry down you notice the familiar cream musk vibe but it is so well blended into it, you might not know it was there. In Isabella you notice both the cream musk and the rose as if they have not yet grown into the same path yet. It adds an airy insouciant quality that has the confidence of a grown woman, sure of who she is and where she came from, but perfectly content to be her own individual. For anyone who tried Isabella and found it to be too creamy or sweet or even if the musk went off on you I would still try this one. It has the same component parts but is very different in structure and feel. This is definitely a more mature rose but still very vibrant and gentile. In fact, to most people not in the sniffing game, would most likely not even note it is a rose, just an scent that has a floral feel but also a freshness and green that never gets powdery or acrid. In this one, the scent of the components is almost inseparable, it is seamlessly blended for most of the wear at the vary end I get more of a musk than any other scent.

MageLocusta
primordial
primordial

Post by MageLocusta » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to say that the Pleiades...smells dead-on like a bandung drink. I wore this scent to a family dinner at a Malaysian restaurant--and accidentally purchased a drink (hey, it was pink) that wound up smelling exactly like it! Bandung drinks are normally made with rose syrup, evaporated (or condensed milk) with an optional dose of soda water. In my case, mine was just made with wispy evaporated milk with lychee soda added into it--but it smelled as creamy and rosy as the perfume that I was wearing (which was a lovely surprise!).

This is really a beautiful scent. It feels soft, girly, yet somehow very classic like a frothy pink dress from the '50s. My only issue with this fragrance is that it's definitely a 'fair weather' fragrance. It's a little too light to wear if you ever get a bad day and need something to mask whatever embarrassment or mishap that may affect you during the day (it's not like The Star or Washington State, which I could throw on in an emergency). Still, I do absolutely recommend this scent--even if you find roses to be too grandmotherly, you definitely should try this because Pleiades is truly a fresh and youthful floral.