Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker (Tchaikovsky)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Re: Arabian Dance from the Nutcracker (Tchaikovsky)

Post by Atropos »

sillageslut wrote:I took my dog for a walk last night and when I put on my scarf, all I could smell was yesterdays leavings of Arabian Dance. I think I might have tried to smother myself with it, it smelled so good. The coffee note sticks around a little more than with HopHead and I just love the carnation, oude and clove combination. This one reminded me of Autumn - (Vivaldi), but Arabian Dance is much better. I really hope that this one makes the permanent catalog, but I will need to get another bottle before the collection comes down just to be on the safe side.
You sold me when you said this is like Autumn (Vivaldi) which I adore and was very sad not to have on the permanent list.Thank you! :hug:
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

And it made the permanent list!!!! YAY!!!!! :rofl:
funkmoppet2
archangel
archangel

Post by funkmoppet2 »

Still too clovey for me, which I knew would happen given my relationship with that note, but I still can't resist at least trying the blends that make the permanent list that weren't on my list.

And honestly, if only the clove wasn't in this one, it would be perfection for me. The smoke and oude with the coffee is just sublime and for that alone I can see why this one was so popular. The clove is actually remarkably well behaved given how clove usually goes on me, but it's still clove, and we can never be friends.

That smoke, oude and coffee tho'. Oh to have just a bottle of that!
anaengel
a spark
a spark

Post by anaengel »

I bought a bottle of this as part of my first order. I bought it because I love the smell of coffee (along with the taste) and because I loved playing this piece on clarinet. Yes, I haven't reviewed it yet. This is getting rectified now. This starts off on me as a gorgeous dark roast coffee scent. I think that it is the smoke and coffee together making that particular coffee scent. I absolutely adore the opening of this. After a while, both the coffee and the smoke fade to leave a very sweet scent. Part of it is the oude, but it is very sharp in me. Others call it a shampoo smell. This is where I find it hardest to wear. The more I slather it, the stronger and longer this phase is. At the end, there is a very soft oude hanging around that I recognise and appreciate.
I do like this scent and am glad it is permanent. As it cozies up in my box with its new friends, I hope it will keep growing with the coffee as it has already.
Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics »

a scent memory in a bottle. a small boutique shop in one of the towns I grew up in. this place was the first to carry fancy roasts of coffee, belgian chocolates and luxury perfumed bath products. one wiff of this sccent and I'm back there, ten years old, in an oasis of luxury and frivolous necessities. the good life purchased and wrapped in thick painted papers and secured with silk ribbons.

this begins as a rich creamy coffee note that is both musky and chocolatey. a few hours later the coffee is a shadow to the smokey perfume. this is a nice strong brew. a little goes a long way and I could still smell last night's application on my skin when I woke up the next day.

this is a coffee scent that is both perfume and place. intriguing!
fireweaver
mortal
mortal

Post by fireweaver »

Curses to my skin chemistry. It smells amazing in the vial. Once it touches the skin, I get smoky bologna. it stays that way for hours. So, so very sad.
Maya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Maya »

I'm slowly getting to my stash of perfumes so I can do reviews (and decide permanently what to keep and what to find other homes for). Today, I decided to "blind" test, by grabbing a bottle, reviewing it, then checking the notes to see if my nose is picking up what it should.

In the bottle, I get a bunch of things that smoosh up together. I start to pick them out and at first get the sense of a dark and woody chocolate or coffee. It's dark and just shy of bitter. But, immediately dancing around that and lifting the whole is a sweet fruity note that feels like it's tangling with raw silk. It's compelling in the play of light and dark.

On my skin, my left arm immediately gets a beautifully spiced note (like an amazing spice cake, loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove), threaded with a touch of coffee. I also get the sense of sugar. On my right arm, I get more of the sweet fruit that turns very perfumey. The raw silk edge lifts, then drops down to become part of the perfume base.

As it dries, the spice on my left arm is beautiful. The coffeeish note drops into a deeper and softer chocolate vibe without smelling like chocolate, and continues to play along a line that dashes between light and dark, without ever becoming heavy. It is (on my left arm) completely what I would like my cozy days to smell like in wintertime: charming, uplifting, slightly spiced, warm. On my right arm, that coffee note begins to rise a bit and brings up the raw silk aspect. It also comes across as very perfumed with a sweet edge. It also has a note in it that reminds me a little bit of Phyllotaxis. My right arm has a slightly plastic edge among the notes, but it is not dominant and only noticeable when I put my nose on my skin and sniff. I suspect there is clove in this one, as clove can sometimes go to a weird plastic on my skin (but only up close, not in the throw). The waft around me is glorious: warm spices, a distinct snugglycuddleness, and yet lifting into a really beautiful perfume with soft and sweet edges, without being too sugary sweet.

Fully dry, the perfume softens a lot, but stays warm and cozy spices, a faint hint of coffee base, and keeps that lovely perfume edge with a soft sweetness. This is perfect for me right now in our winter months. (I suspect it would be too much in our heat and humidity.) I will be putting this in my autumn-spring rotation pile.

Once I looked at the notes, the mention of smoke surprised me a little, but I suspect that is the raw silk edge I was getting. Overall, I'm a bit pleased that I picked out the clove (or spices) and coffee. For people who may be afraid of smoke fragrances, this seems like it would be a good one to try. I have other perfumes that literally have a smoke-from-a-bonfire smell. This is a much lighter, more "clean" smoke, and soft. It is a beautiful perfume and deserves to be out more. I'm thrilled to have rediscovered it.
If you can't be a success, be a spectacular failure!