Landscape in Suffolk (Gainsborough)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Landscape in Suffolk (Gainsborough)

Post by Boudicca » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 am

Possets description: Thomas Gainsborough was famous for his excellent portraits. The finest of ladies competed to have him paint them (and Sir Joshua Reynolds, too). But Gainsborough's favorite thing to paint was the landscape! His lush greenery and dynamic land were elegant and light-touched even if they were just pictures of peasants in front of a hut.

Landscape is a classic made the classic way. This is the scent of the fragrant fern and has been a wonder for centuries. I imagine that Gainsborough would have loved to paint a ferny grove, and this would have been a great scent for him to wear. It is unisex, dignified, green, and wonderful. oakmoss, bergamot, lavender, coumarin (vanilla).
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

mina
preternatural being
preternatural being

Re: Landscape in Suffolk (Gainsborough)

Post by mina » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:05 am

I thought it would be a simple perfum when I received it and smelled it in the bottle but it's much more complex.
There is the green oakmoss and immediately after the brightness of the bergamot. After a few moments the perfum evolves in something sweeter (the coumarin and the lavender I suppose but I can't really smell them) but still green and fresh.

It's like walking in the country on a bright sunny day in spring.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:42 am

Mina, thank you! I was so wanting to try this fragrance after reading its description, and this gives me a much clearer idea of what it's like. I so appreciate our review section and this forum!

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 pm

I was worried this one would go all floral. From Mina's description, it doesn't.

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:05 pm

I am just going to do a quicker review right now in bottle and on a tester strip as I am wearing another Summer of Elegance fragrance today. I will add to this when I wear it on my skin. In the bottle, I first smell the coumarin, the green and the lavender notes. On the tester strip once it dries, I am smelling a lovely fougere--I can pick out the coumarin, the lavender, the bergamot and the oakmoss. It is fresh, unisex and I thought Mina described it perfectly. I don't know yet what it does on my skin, but so far I do not get floral notes. The lavender is blended in with all the others and is fresh and herbal and the green notes and coumarin balance this beautifully.

Next day: On my skin, I get a burst of the fresh green from oakmoss and bergamot when I first put it on. Shortly after this the coumarin takes center stage with some lavender coming through. The fragrance remains unisex, a bit on the dry side. The fragrance is not like a vanilla fragrance, the coumarin makes it more herbal and plant-like, like being out in the country. The final drydown for me is a whiff of bergamot and oakmoss with the coumarin.

The next morning, a faint whiff of bergamot and coumarin linger on my skin.

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:08 pm

this is glorious. divine. SO GOOD.
a little bit herbal (lav), a little bit juicy (berg), a touch spicy and entirely swoonworthy.
maybe leans more unisex/masculine. it's not at all girly. if this represents fougere, it's given me a big "a-ha" of what a fougere is (esp in teaching my nose fougere vs chypre).

cologney, a little powdery, velvety, soft but strong in texture. low to medium throw. I'm going to wear the heck out of it. fabienne nailed it when she called this one a classic. :pom:

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:13 pm

just to say that I really really really love this scent. it's a true beauty. unisex to masculine, cologne-ish in feeling.
i've been reaching for this one a lot the past few weeks.

utterly utterly glorious. if you enjoy this kind of scent, don't miss out on this beauty.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:04 pm

powdery? How much so? My skin tends to make powder into OMFG POWDER! And I really don't like powdery scents on me.

Annemathematics
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by Annemathematics » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Atropos wrote:powdery? How much so? My skin tends to make powder into OMFG POWDER! And I really don't like powdery scents on me.
Not baby powder, but that oakmoss/fougere texture. I don't know the best words to use to describe it. It's not wet, not syrupy, not juicy. A little dry but still rich.

Does that make sense? What is the term for that?

It's so good! Mmmm.

Drarra

Post by Drarra » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:57 pm

This has become one of my favorite Possets ever. I've come to the realization that I am in love with fougere, so when I read the description, I took a leap and ordered a large bottle. My faith was not misplaced!

In the bottle, I smell a beautifully-blended fougere. It's full of the traditionally masculine notes I happen to love. The green, herbal notes are kept in perfect check by the coumarin. My (baseless) fear was that this scent would turn strident and overly screeching, but the soft coumarin stops that from happening.

Dried on my skin, it's simply lovely. It's well-blended enough that I don't pick up any particular notes, just that soft, fougere smell. I don't personally find it "powdery", but I can understand that description. It stays fairly close to my skin, but it lasts all day, and sniffing the crook of my elbow at the end of the day still makes me smile and give a contented perfume sigh. This is one of those perfumes where it's much, much greater than the sum of its notes. If you love fougere, you will probably adore this scent.

Can I rate is 11/10? :grin: