Min-Min (Ghost Lights)

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Min-Min (Ghost Lights)

Post by Boudicca » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Sandalwoods, three of them, combined with the rich enticing scent of leather, a strong and classic patchouli rounds out the central trio. This one is not for the faint of libido as it is a "calling blend" a perfume which signals that you are on the prowl and in love with the thought. However, there manages to be a soft center to the group, thanks to a slight infusion of rose (and it is not a strong rose scent but one which blended into the mix to be a scent "emollient" to the mix. It is the very soul of its namesake, the Australian ghost lights meant to befuddle the unwary traveller.

Resinous, spicy, leathery, assertive.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Boudicca

Re: Min-Min (Ghost Lights)

Post by Boudicca » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:35 pm

Sexy, classy/classic, badass. No, not quite badass.... it's the leather that makes me think that. If you like leather scents, you must try this.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:25 pm

I would echo Boudicca that if you like leather, this one is well worth trying. I find this fragrance full and complex, with the sandalwoods smelling more prominent to my nose at the beginning. The leather is there throughout, but it blends well with all the notes. The heart of this fragrance which mellows and integrates it together reminds me of Mitsouko by Guerlain, without the spicey notes. On top of that you have a classy leather and the gorgeous woods weaving themselves throughout. In the vial the leather seemed prominent, but when I put it on it became much more complex and beautiful than I had realized at first sniff, so give this one a chance and let it warm to your skin.

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:50 pm

I totally agree with marisaviolet's note that this is so much more than a leather fragrance.

In the vial, it is almost entirely leather. Once it hits my skin though, it opens up into this lovely complex scent. It's sweet (though not foody), like a black vanilla. This scent is wet, the emollient note that Fabienne refers to - which she says is rose but I would not have been able to identify it as rose without having been told it was rose. It's velvety and rich and sweet. The sandalwoods add that slightly powdery aspect, plus some woodsy, almost cedar-y aspect. The leather is there, flirting around the edges, more like a shiny black leather than a rough worn leather. This is decidedly feminine, and very sexy! The throw is better than sniffing close up. I suspect this scent will rely on personal chemistry based on how it opens and morphs as it warms on my skin as I wear it.

I want to emphasize that I ma not a rose perfume person - in fact, nearly all florals and I are enemies. This is a rose for non-rose wearers. I'd say it's a leather that you could wear even if you are not a huge fan of leather scents. It's womanly and romantic, but I could see this as drop-dead sexy with flannel or sweaters and boots too. I think the sandalwoods add that snuggly feel to it. It's definitely a cooler weather scent - I suspect it would be overwhelming in heat.

I'm loving the throw of this one. It's not a skin scent. It smells expensive and less "indie" to me (it's not gourmand and it's wonderfully complex/rich).

This is my favorite of the collection so far!
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Boudicca wrote:Sexy, classy/classic, badass. No, not quite badass.... it's the leather that makes me think that. If you like leather scents, you must try this.
And you know I do! I have three stars next to this one too. I'll put this on my must get list. I love Fabienne's sandalwood notes too. This seems like a win win for me.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:57 pm

gypsyjolie wrote:I totally agree with marisaviolet's note that this is so much more than a leather fragrance.

In the vial, it is almost entirely leather. Once it hits my skin though, it opens up into this lovely complex scent. It's sweet (though not foody), like a black vanilla. This scent is wet, the emollient note that Fabienne refers to - which she says is rose but I would not have been able to identify it as rose without having been told it was rose. It's velvety and rich and sweet. The sandalwoods add that slightly powdery aspect, plus some woodsy, almost cedar-y aspect. The leather is there, flirting around the edges, more like a shiny black leather than a rough worn leather. This is decidedly feminine, and very sexy! The throw is better than sniffing close up. I suspect this scent will rely on personal chemistry based on how it opens and morphs as it warms on my skin as I wear it.

I want to emphasize that I ma not a rose perfume person - in fact, nearly all florals and I are enemies. This is a rose for non-rose wearers. I'd say it's a leather that you could wear even if you are not a huge fan of leather scents. It's womanly and romantic, but I could see this as drop-dead sexy with flannel or sweaters and boots too. I think the sandalwoods add that snuggly feel to it. It's definitely a cooler weather scent - I suspect it would be overwhelming in heat.

I'm loving the throw of this one. It's not a skin scent. It smells expensive and less "indie" to me (it's not gourmand and it's wonderfully complex/rich).

This is my favorite of the collection so far!

Okay you sold me on this one! Great review! I am not a floral person either, and we tend to be enemies, flowers and I (with a few exceptions, chrysanthemum--which I wish Fabienne would bring back to her fall scents--Pauline kitty I miss you). I can pull off some roses, yellow in particular, and whichever one that she used in Gypsy Grave. So, I'm guessing that this rose will work for me and not against me.

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:57 pm

This is my sleeper hit from the weenies. When it first arrived shortly after the collection went live, the leather was too harsh in the bottle and I was afraid even to try it. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I got a strong, fruity rose warring with the leather in the bottle...again afraid to put it on. Then I started seeing the positive reviews above and decided to check in again. Still rose and leather in the bottle, but the sandalwood had begun to move forward and I could smell a ghost of what it would be on my skin. So I slapped some on. And wow....WOW. This fragrance is beautiful and will be getting one of my permanent votes. Wet on the skin there is a lot of fruity rose and leather...but it quickly settles into the fuzzy, warm, almost creamy sandalwood and leather that is amazing. The rose is still there....but no longer separate. It lifts the mix and makes it decidedly feminine. I can't pick out the patchouli, it is well blended in the midst of the sandal woods and leather. This has become my favorite from the collection. It is going to be difficult deciding what two others to vote for, but this fragrance has an assured spot.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:03 am

hill78 wrote:This is my sleeper hit from the weenies. When it first arrived shortly after the collection went live, the leather was too harsh in the bottle and I was afraid even to try it. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I got a strong, fruity rose warring with the leather in the bottle...again afraid to put it on. Then I started seeing the positive reviews above and decided to check in again. Still rose and leather in the bottle, but the sandalwood had begun to move forward and I could smell a ghost of what it would be on my skin. So I slapped some on. And wow....WOW. This fragrance is beautiful and will be getting one of my permanent votes. Wet on the skin there is a lot of fruity rose and leather...but it quickly settles into the fuzzy, warm, almost creamy sandalwood and leather that is amazing. The rose is still there....but no longer separate. It lifts the mix and makes it decidedly feminine. I can't pick out the patchouli, it is well blended in the midst of the sandal woods and leather. This has become my favorite from the collection. It is going to be difficult deciding what two others to vote for, but this fragrance has an assured spot.

Oh hill I love you. If I hadn't already ordered this one, I would after your review too. I know you and I have similar chems. :hug:

woodenmango
preternatural being
preternatural being

Post by woodenmango » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:56 pm

out of the vial this is very leathery. On initial application on me it is kinda sweet and still leathery eventually it starts to get woody. At some stage it kind of smells like…playdough? So weird. And in the final stage I get something really nice. It is hard to explain but I geuss my attempt would be mild leather, the sweet aspect of rose without the sharp floral qualities and something woody. Definitely a feminin fragrance rather than a masculine one but I really like it. A definite keeper for me.

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Atropos wrote:
hill78 wrote:This is my sleeper hit from the weenies. When it first arrived shortly after the collection went live, the leather was too harsh in the bottle and I was afraid even to try it. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I got a strong, fruity rose warring with the leather in the bottle...again afraid to put it on. Then I started seeing the positive reviews above and decided to check in again. Still rose and leather in the bottle, but the sandalwood had begun to move forward and I could smell a ghost of what it would be on my skin. So I slapped some on. And wow....WOW. This fragrance is beautiful and will be getting one of my permanent votes. Wet on the skin there is a lot of fruity rose and leather...but it quickly settles into the fuzzy, warm, almost creamy sandalwood and leather that is amazing. The rose is still there....but no longer separate. It lifts the mix and makes it decidedly feminine. I can't pick out the patchouli, it is well blended in the midst of the sandal woods and leather. This has become my favorite from the collection. It is going to be difficult deciding what two others to vote for, but this fragrance has an assured spot.

Oh hill I love you. If I hadn't already ordered this one, I would after your review too. I know you and I have similar chems. :hug:
I hope it works out well for you! If it is too potently rosey or leathery when it first arrives, be sure to let it rest!