Lady and a Baby Unicorn

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Lady and a Baby Unicorn

Post by Boudicca »

A wonderful combination. Using the right type and right amount and right dilution, vetiver (that sultry, earthy, wild, and dominant part) becomes positively docile, sweet, and innocent...almost fruity in the presence of three vanillas (dry, fat, and sweet). It's like the renewal of its virginity.

Resinous

The story around this painting by Raphael is that the young lady was to be betrothed to a gentleman of a good family. Something happened (probably the political benefits of the union were less desirable after some circumstance). The young lady had lived in the groom's court and was sent home when the engagement was dissolved. Rumors swirled around her, some said that she gave her innocence to the would-be groom! This picture shows a very serious and unhappy looking nubile young woman with a baby unicorn snuggled in her arm. Since unicorns will only consort with pure human virgins, this is an allusion to the sitter being virgo intacto despite what ugly gossips might spread about.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds
celandine
primordial
primordial

Re: Lady and a Baby Unicorn

Post by celandine »

Gonna be completely honest here: I bought this for the name. I've tried vetiver before and it was a little... odd, but I gave this a shot anyway and I'm glad I did. As per usual, Fabienne has concocted something far more complex and evocative than your average vanilla scent, one that lives up to the slightly scandalous story behind its name. In the bottle, this is a little bit sweet with just a hint of fruitiness - very hard to pick out individual notes. On my skin though, the vetiver really blossoms, with a rich, earth note that reminds me of pine wood without the actual pine - sharp but subtle. The most beautiful thing about this scent I think is that it's layered: up close you get the earthy vetiver, but the little scent cloud around me is rich vanilla (not really sweet or foody at all) with just a furtive hint of vetiver that draws people in closer for a better sniff. As with so many Possets, this is the kind of scent that makes you want to tell a story. Beautiful, and certainly unique. Highly recommend for those who enjoy earthy scents or those just looking to add something different to their collection!
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

celandine wrote:Gonna be completely honest here: I bought this for the name. I've tried vetiver before and it was a little... odd, but I gave this a shot anyway and I'm glad I did. As per usual, Fabienne has concocted something far more complex and evocative than your average vanilla scent, one that lives up to the slightly scandalous story behind its name. In the bottle, this is a little bit sweet with just a hint of fruitiness - very hard to pick out individual notes. On my skin though, the vetiver really blossoms, with a rich, earth note that reminds me of pine wood without the actual pine - sharp but subtle. The most beautiful thing about this scent I think is that it's layered: up close you get the earthy vetiver, but the little scent cloud around me is rich vanilla (not really sweet or foody at all) with just a furtive hint of vetiver that draws people in closer for a better sniff. As with so many Possets, this is the kind of scent that makes you want to tell a story. Beautiful, and certainly unique. Highly recommend for those who enjoy earthy scents or those just looking to add something different to their collection!

I LOVE vertiver, and I love Fabienne's vanilla notes. I also happen to love the name and the painting (I have an old James Avery pendant of the Lady and the Unicorn, based off the "Mirror Tapestry"). So your review was what I was hoping to read. I am going to buy this one next and one other. Just have to decide which one. ROFL! I wish I could afford more, but alas, no. But I am going to splurge on two as a Yule present to myself.
warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo »

This scent is amaaaaaaaaazing. Even as a non-foodie and non-vanilla person, I wore it all day and it's just so dreamy. It's thick, voluptuous vanilla, tempered by earthy vetiver, which gives it a musky edge. Not perfume musk, but similar to clean and pleasant body sweat. Like pressing your face up against your boyfriend's t-shirt after he's worn it for a few hours. (ETA: over time, I'm reading this note more and more as "nutty". I'm somewhat new to Vetiver so I can also kind of see this as smelling like thick roots that have been freshly pulled from the earth. Earth is the key word here.)

I love that this is a Yule scent because it isn't part of the canon of traditional holiday fragrances, yet it has a deep, rich, festive feel. And, where Dirty Angel has a French Aristocrat air, this puts me in mind of Medieval ladies, where I imagine fragrances were much simpler, headier, and tempered with natural body odor. (Okay, perhaps Medieval ladies didn't smell quite as good as this, but allow me my flights of fancy!)
Last edited by warriortwo on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
SakuraTsukikage

Post by SakuraTsukikage »

First review here! I hope it's helpful!

This is a great scent. It's a really interesting (and unusual) combination, I think, and I wasn't sure what I'd think of it to start out with--but I kind of love it.

First of all, I love the vanilla in this. It's buttery and rich and very full, and right out of the bottle and immediately on skin, I get a lot of it, but the vetiver is there, too, earthy and just a little smoky. I agree with the previous review that it reminds me a bit of pine, without actually being pine. Vetiver has been a little harsh for me in the past, but it's such a great counterpoint to that thick, full vanilla here. It's rich and fascinating and I keep sniffing it. Both elements come across as equal in strength, and sometimes it's a bit smoky for me at that point, but overall it strikes me as elegant but also unusual, earthy and striking. As it wears, it blends together more on my skin, and takes on more of a melded quality where the vanilla and vetiver are coming across as one scent, and it really does smell almost fruity, in a deep, earthy sort of way, with touches of woodiness, smoke, and that almost piney scent that keeps striking me. I agree with both of the prior reviews, really, and it does strike me as medieval, somehow. I think this fits the inspiration and the story behind it so perfectly!
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

This is not a complex fragrance but is more than the sum of its parts due to the way the vanilla and vetiver interact with each other. The vetiver in this is present but very smooth and not overly earthy or strong, so if you are afraid of being overwhelmed with vetiver, I think this would be a good way to try it out. There was an aspect of the interaction between the two that almost reminded me of dry coconut--I am thinking perhaps of the note of Sex in a Tree--it has a sexy element to it while being innocent as well. This is not a foody or sweet blend in my opinion, though. I caught whiffs at times of what others have called the fruity note, which I think must have been one of the vanillas used, but it was fleeting and not a big part of it on me. I would say this morphs a bit on the skin and takes some time to develop. It is enjoyable to smell and I think would be one that many people would like.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

marisaviola wrote:This is not a complex fragrance but is more than the sum of its parts due to the way the vanilla and vetiver interact with each other. The vetiver in this is present but very smooth and not overly earthy or strong, so if you are afraid of being overwhelmed with vetiver, I think this would be a good way to try it out. There was an aspect of the interaction between the two that almost reminded me of dry coconut--I am thinking perhaps of the note of Sex in a Tree--it has a sexy element to it while being innocent as well. This is not a foody or sweet blend in my opinion, though. I caught whiffs at times of what others have called the fruity note, which I think must have been one of the vanillas used, but it was fleeting and not a big part of it on me. I would say this morphs a bit on the skin and takes some time to develop. It is enjoyable to smell and I think would be one that many people would like.

I can't wait to get my sample of this one! I love vetiver and all the reviews are really just making me want to through caution to the wind and order afull bottle anyways! :rofl:
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

This should smell so good on me! Vetiver is grassy and Fabienne's vanillas and I get along so well. This is ...a plastic doll! Literally my stupid skin chemistry turns it into a plastic doll with scent...like those Strawberry Shortcake dolls that came out back in the day. :gaah: Stupid skin!!!! This should have been a win win, a lovely Medieval lady, dressed in silks and brocades waiting in the garden for her knight champion to come to her. Nope, I made this lovely into a plastic scented doll, and an old doll, because the vetiver gives it a sour note that sadly makes the doll smell as if it's been sitting in the attic and the plastic is degrading.

In the bottle this is lovely, grassy and vanilla-y, just lovely. I ruin it, sad to say. Glad I got a sample and not a full bottle.
Zahira
primordial
primordial

Post by Zahira »

The vetiver in this blend smells exactly like Halloween to me. So all it is on me is straight up Halloween instead of the caramel note, with vanilla. It's ok, but there are other blends that are more unique that will get my vote this year.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

I wanted to add that for me Lady and a Baby Unicorn has changed somewhat since I first tried it. There is a rather "pencil shavings" note now that seems to be the result of the interaction between the vanilla, the vetiver and my skin. I love the portrait, love vetiver, love the concept of creating a fragrance around the portrait and with vetiver. Unfortunately this particular combination of ingredients with vetiver in the long run is not working for me.