Wallis Warfield Simpson

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Re: Wallis Warfield Simpson

Post by gypsyjolie »

Wet: pretty red grapefruit and dry sandalwood (red ?)

drying: the grapefruit does fade back a bit (as expected). This is primarily a mix of sandalwoods - this gets a bit more powdery and warmer as the complexity of sandalwoods are revealed. It's quite woody and a bit dry, though rich.

Fully dry: This is a definitely a sandalwood perfume. It's drier and softer/less astringent to my nose than Field of Reeds. It has a hint of an incensey aspect to it, a sort of golden feel. The grapefruit adds just a hint of fruitiness/sweetness to the scent but it's no longer recognizable as grapefruit after 20 minutes.

This is a little soft for me, maybe aging will assist with that. More feminine than Field of Reeds but still could be unisex. My nose loses this scent after a short period, less than an hour. Not sure if that is olfactory fatigue or what. Low throw. A skin scent.
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

gypsyjolie wrote:Wet: pretty red grapefruit and dry sandalwood (red ?)

drying: the grapefruit does fade back a bit (as expected). This is primarily a mix of sandalwoods - this gets a bit more powdery and warmer as the complexity of sandalwoods are revealed. It's quite woody and a bit dry, though rich.

Fully dry: This is a definitely a sandalwood perfume. It's drier and softer/less astringent to my nose than Field of Reeds. It has a hint of an incensey aspect to it, a sort of golden feel. The grapefruit adds just a hint of fruitiness/sweetness to the scent but it's no longer recognizable as grapefruit after 20 minutes.

This is a little soft for me, maybe aging will assist with that. More feminine than Field of Reeds but still could be unisex. My nose loses this scent after a short period, less than an hour. Not sure if that is olfactory fatigue or what. Low throw. A skin scent.

Fie, Field of Reeds and I didn't get along, or rather my skin and FoR didn't get along. And I love sandalwood. worried about that and the powdery aspect.
celandine
primordial
primordial

Post by celandine »

It's interesting reading these reviews because this scent is much different on me than other people! First off, this is not a skin scent for me, not even close. In fact, this is the kind of scent that, should I wear it to work, I would expect to be called into HR to discuss being more considerate of people who are scent sensitive. I had a little cloud of scent around me for hours, even with a light application and even after a shower. Also, I get no grapefruit. Grapefruit is pretty light on me anyways - I hardly get it at all in Dance With Me but I do get the grapefruit in Diamond and Girl in White so... What I do get a lot of is sandalwood, but not a sharp, harsh sandalwood. It's warm and creamy, and there's a little spice behind it - definitely not incense or anything in that family, but more like ginger? This is so incredibly well-blended that it's difficult to break it down enough to describe.

I can tell you this: I got home yesterday worn out from a full day of working, plus hitting the gym after work and then stopping at the grocery and also getting the car vacuumed out and just bleargh. Here this was in the mailbox (how do indies always know to arrive when you need them?) and upon testing it out I went from "adulting sucks" directly to "omg I am a gorgeous amazon warrior" so this is a clear winner for me. It's possible the grapefruit will come out more for me after it rests for a while, but I'm sure that will only make it better. This will definitely be getting a vote from me for permanents.
marisaviola
archangel
archangel

Post by marisaviola »

In the vial, Wallis Warfield Simpson is a burst of fresh grapefruit and then some woody and musky notes to my nose. I know musk was not mentioned but to me this has more of a musk fragrance than amber. The grapefruit is not loud or strong even though it was the first thing I picked up. I agree with the reviewer who said this is not primarily a citrus or grapefruit fragrance, it is more of an accompaniment. When I put it on Wallis Simpson feels very classic and even vintage (ie a fragrance from before the many reformulations that have been made in the past decade or so). It feels like the old formulations with their richer and more varied ingredients. Several came to mind when I first put it on--Chanel No. 5, with some grapefruit tartness and freshness added, or even White Shoulders without all the excess florals--both of those share aldehydes in common, which gives a bit of a sharp and powdery feel though it's not baby powder or the powder some get with amber. I love this aspect of it, personally. I do smell the sandalwood, as Minh Scent mentioned, and to me it's a soft sandalwood and not as woody as some are. After wearing it for several hours, it turns into the more oriental fragrance that Minh Scent mentioned, and I think that was a really good description of it. I realize as I smell it that this phase reminds me a bit of yet two other classics--Bal a Versailles or even perhaps a bit like vintage Opium. At this point there is a slight spice note in it. Wallis Simpson is well blended and so it's hard to separate out the notes as I describe them. There is a subtle floral feel to it but I would not be able to say what floral. It's not clearly white flowers, or roses, or any particular species of flower.

This is elegant and lovely, and I think a wonderful representation of Wallis Simpson and also of this era of history in which all that history took place, a time of more elegance and a slower pace, and the pre-World War II period and way of life of the upper middle class and upper class in England that would never return again.
Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos »

marisaviola wrote:In the vial, Wallis Warfield Simpson is a burst of fresh grapefruit and then some woody and musky notes to my nose. I know musk was not mentioned but to me this has more of a musk fragrance than amber. The grapefruit is not loud or strong even though it was the first thing I picked up. I agree with the reviewer who said this is not primarily a citrus or grapefruit fragrance, it is more of an accompaniment. When I put it on Wallis Simpson feels very classic and even vintage (ie a fragrance from before the many reformulations that have been made in the past decade or so). It feels like the old formulations with their richer and more varied ingredients. Several came to mind when I first put it on--Chanel No. 5, with some grapefruit tartness and freshness added, or even White Shoulders without all the excess florals--both of those share aldehydes in common, which gives a bit of a sharp and powdery feel though it's not baby powder or the powder some get with amber. I love this aspect of it, personally. I do smell the sandalwood, as Minh Scent mentioned, and to me it's a soft sandalwood and not as woody as some are. After wearing it for several hours, it turns into the more oriental fragrance that Minh Scent mentioned, and I think that was a really good description of it. I realize as I smell it that this phase reminds me a bit of yet two other classics--Bal a Versailles or even perhaps a bit like vintage Opium. At this point there is a slight spice note in it. Wallis Simpson is well blended and so it's hard to separate out the notes as I describe them. There is a subtle floral feel to it but I would not be able to say what floral. It's not clearly white flowers, or roses, or any particular species of flower.

This is elegant and lovely, and I think a wonderful representation of Wallis Simpson and also of this era of history in which all that history took place, a time of more elegance and a slower pace, and the pre-World War II period and way of life of the upper middle class and upper class in England that would never return again.

I always love your reviews! I've been toying with getting this one in a sample from Ajeve. Would you say it's predominantly a floral?