Jeanne DuVal Mistress of Charles Baudelaire

Reviews for permanent Possets :)

Moderator: Maya

Boudicca

Jeanne DuVal Mistress of Charles Baudelaire

Post by Boudicca » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 pm

Baudelaire was one of the most extreme poets of the 19th century. He wrote a famous book of poetry called Les Fleurs de Mal (Flowers of Evil). He was considered an exceptional eccentric who dyed his hair green (long before it was fashionable) wore winter clothes in summer and summer clothes in winter and he had a half French half Haitian mistress named Jeanne DuVal who was the subject of much of his poetry. She was supposed to have been very tall and striking looking, and was such an eye catching woman that Manet painted her picture. She was devoted to Baudelaire and he to her, and he proudly brought her around to all of the meetings of the members of the "set" and she was a great favorite among the boulavadriers. Alas, she suffered from very bad health and was a victim of syphilis at the time Manet painted her, she was going blind from the disease, and I suspect that her central nervous system was impaired as her reclining posture makes her look a lot like a doll which has been cast aside. One of Baudelaire's most ardent poems to her was Parfume Exotique.

There should be a grand perfume to commemorate a woman who could enthrall a man like Baudelaire, and do it for decades despite social norms and bad health. She must have been remarkable. So I am putting together a remarkable perfume in her honor.

This is a tremendously complex formula. I have included 5 ambers (two golden, one dry, one sweet, and one which is what I call Black Amber), add to that African Musk, a drop of aged sweet patchouli, a nice swath of labdanum, a large part of a very very dry and somewhat woody Bourbon vanilla, a bit of sandalwood, and just the right amount of Haitian vetiver. This is a wonderfully resinous perfume, with tremendous staying power, infinite sexuality, and amazing balance. Woody in part, spicy in part, resinous always.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Petticoats
virtues
virtues

Re: Jeanne DuVal Mistress of Charles Baudelaire

Post by Petticoats » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:15 pm

Smooth and luscious. I'm having a hard time describing it beyond that.
Learn about me and my books at www.amandadewees.com.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 pm

I ordered this one from Ajeve's decant circle. I can't wait to try it, especially after Fabienne's video.

hill78
principalities
principalities

Post by hill78 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:02 am

If you enjoy Fabienne's amber notes, please do not miss out on this one. Glorious amber blend, it sings on my skin. I find Amber so grounding, calming, and warm. I can not pick out the other notes, this is too well blended, but I know they are there supporting and lifting the overall scent. This is going to age so well!

gypsyjolie
principalities
principalities

Post by gypsyjolie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm

wet: coffee and amber?

drying: This is a thick and rich and "chewy" resin blend. The musk, patchouli (lovely aged smooth patch) and ambers are like a molasses cookie of scent.

full drydown: Thick, dark, full resins. This is sweet-ish and sticky, with that hint of vanilla and laudanum lending a caramel-esque aspect, but the vanilla isn't a major player here. I still swear that this smells like there is a coffee note in here to me - must be the vetiver? Warm and comforting, as hill78 said. No sharp edges, and very well blended. This will age deliciously but it's great right out of the mailbox already.

Throw is medium. I keep getting wafts up from my wrists, and I suspect that if I applied to my hairline I'd get a lovely halo of scent.

(HopHead didn't work for me but I'm really tempted to layer Moonbux and this to make my own coffee/amber!)
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. ~ e e cummings

Boudicca

Post by Boudicca » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:30 am

Petticoats wrote:Smooth and luscious. I'm having a hard time describing it beyond that.
This is just gorgeous. What hill78 said too. This is some seriously kickass amber.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds

Apollonia
mortal
mortal

Post by Apollonia » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:37 am

This is, in a word, spectacular.
Wet: This is smooth and almost chocolaty. The labdanum provides a sharp, woody counterpoint to the luxurious, warm and sinuous musks and ambers. It smells a little like a wood shop full of fresh cut exotic woods still full of sap.
I get the coffee scent that gypsiejolie mentioned as well. The bitterness is really well balanced by the vanilla, which as advertised, is very woody and not quite sweet, just enough to round out any sharp edges. I really love patchouli and it doesn't dominate here, but it is a definite player with that slightly medicinal, earthy scent that deepens all the other notes. I feel this is a really exotic outdoorsy scent; both earthy and woody and will age beautifully.

Atropos
virtues
virtues

Post by Atropos » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Apollonia wrote:This is, in a word, spectacular.
Wet: This is smooth and almost chocolaty. The labdanum provides a sharp, woody counterpoint to the luxurious, warm and sinuous musks and ambers. It smells a little like a wood shop full of fresh cut exotic woods still full of sap.
I get the coffee scent that gypsiejolie mentioned as well. The bitterness is really well balanced by the vanilla, which as advertised, is very woody and not quite sweet, just enough to round out any sharp edges. I really love patchouli and it doesn't dominate here, but it is a definite player with that slightly medicinal, earthy scent that deepens all the other notes. I feel this is a really exotic outdoorsy scent; both earthy and woody and will age beautifully.

All of the reviews have been fantastic. I loved the smell of this one in the vial. I can't wait to try her out.

warriortwo
archangel
archangel

Post by warriortwo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:44 pm

This one is really fascinating and complex, and like other reviewers, I'm finding it hard to describe. Like the other resins in this collection, it smells chocolatey in the vial. But on the skin, I immediately get an array of woods. Not the high-key woods that dominate a lot of men's fragrance, and not cedar, which can be cloying, but a gentle woodiness. Very classic patchouli base. The ambers behave really well and remind me of how much variance there is in amber. Every sniff presents a shifting, shimmering quality. There is sandalwood, but it dances with the other woods and doesn't dominate. The Vanilla is rich and round and gives it some sweetness, with no plasticity whatsoever. Despite the presence of vetiver, I don't get any of the nutty quality that I do from the other vetivers in this collection, so I would not call it a key player. I think this is a masterpiece. It's definitely getting my vote for permanents.